Terrorhedron Is 8-Player 3D Tower Defence

Hmm, Terrorhedron is looking fairly interesting, what with being a crazy 3D tower defense game and having 8-player online co-op, but it also desperately needs a demo, because I am too cheap to spend $5 on checking out another tower defence game. Yes. It’s true. Check out the video below for a glimpse of the thing in action.

1. mollemannen says:

i have this. bought it just for the music. wish my friends were as easy to convince so i’d have someone to play with.

2. Anthile says:

Hmm, just bought it. I have developed an odd hunger for tower defense games recently. Maybe I’m pregnant… with games.

3. P4p3Rc1iP says:

This looks… interesting.

And: OMG THE MUSIC!! I WANT THIS MUSIC!!!

Will it be on Steam?

4. magnus says:

If it’s just multiplayer I’m not interested, I want to play this type of game on my own at my own pace.

• Khalan says:

I emailed the dev:
      “It has single player. You can play all 6 levels as single or multiplayer.”
      (Quick response by the way. Thanks Dan!)

5. TenjouUtena says:

I wish that tower defense wasn’t the new match3 of the indie scene.

• EmS says:

the complexity is way bigger than with a match 3 wich is practically just one array and some shiny effects
      ontop of that this game looks like it has some unique towering mechanics to it so i might give it a try

6. DaftPunk says:

Must admit,music is good indeed.

7. frChuck says:

Am I buying the music or the game itself… XD

8. Rinox says:

I was expecting a game about the lethal cousin of the Rhododendron.

9. frChuck says:

Did someone has tested the game? Is it polished?

10. cpy says:

I’ll wait till this will get into some indie pack sale, then i’ll buy it.

11. Muzman says:

I’m a bit over chip tunes myself. C’est la vie.

I once envisaged a tower defense sort of game that’s probably a little like this in some respects. Only it was a householder vs an endless army of marauding ants pouring into your kitchen.
    It was based on real life.

12. khaz says:

The funny thing is, as good as this looks, co-op TD maps is how they started on Warcraft 3/Frozen Throne. I find it odd that indie TD games were all single player and are now becoming multiplayer.

I have yet to play any indie TD that matches the complexity or difficulty of Mafa TD, Queen TD or Gem TD on WC3. This does looks very sexy though.

• Wang Tang says:

Nitpicking here, but Starcraft TD maps have been there before WC3. And all the other funmaps as well. Hell, I BOUGHT starcraft only to be able playing funmaps on the internet.

• EmS says:

still id say warcraft 3 made the biggest step forward when it comes to fun maps
      dota dota dota dota dota dota dota dota dota dota dota dota dota

i had my share of td games in warcraft 3 and there were quite a lot of games that were really good even if they were just a modification of a modification of some other td map and they were always multiplayer or just head to head
      why ? because its more fun than mere score tables

i think coop is way overestimated when it comes to td because you only need one strategy but even that worked (well the wc3 TD games with coop mostly had strict building areas so the players won’t mess around with their mate’s stuff)

• khaz says:

@Wang Tang: Whoops, forgot they started on Starcraft. :D

@EmS: DotA veteran here since 2003 (Early RoC versions) and now HoN addict.

13. Ciber says:

Wow. I so don’t want to play this or hear any more of that sound.

14. dan_mcro says:

Jim!

I’m the author of Terrorhedron.

I sent you 2 review copies as soon as I released a few weeks ago! I’ll re-send :) Thanks for covering me.

Dan

15. Tei says:

Looks like my thing :D
    Great find!

And thanks indies, hope you guys do this year some awesome gamming to us. thanks for your work :D

16. Navagon says:

Well since you’ve got a review copy, let us know wot you think.

• BlackestTea says:

Well, sounds like the guys end up having to review it for us now :P
      (I do think its good games get mentioned even if there is no time/willingness to spend money to review them, at least they get coverage that way and: hey, coverage matters an awful lot for indies – and for my point of view: getting knowledge of this game’s existence, even without an opinion, is always better than no knowledge).

17. bill says:

Doesn’t RPS have petty cash or something? Surely they can stretch to a $5 game or two.

It might be a slightly more valuable contribution as a “I’ve played this game and it is good/bad/ok” post than as a “there is a game” post.

• TODD says:

I don’t blame RPS at all for choosing not to spend time playing and reviewing every last bleepity-bleep indie tower defense game in existence.

18. sinister agent says:

This may not be the best place to ask, but the title of this just made me wonder… has anyone done a multiplayer tower defence game that’s competitive? As it’s a genre that’s had a lot of attention and new spins in recent years, but I haven’t ever heard of someone doing that.

As in, there are two+ people with a base to defend, and while they’re trying to stop an incoming horde, they’re also trying to put assemble and direct their own hordes against the other players’ bases. I’m sure you could easily think up an excuse for not having the hordes fight each other – the armies have been teleported across different planets or something, say – not that it matters.

You could do a lot with it, and it could be of interest to people who like RTS games in principle but hate the clickfest/build order/etc aspect of competitive play. I think I’d enjoy sending a particularly nasty wave and fending off an opponent’s, knowing that victory would come from good decisions, not from just being faster.

• roy7 says:

I used to play a Starcraft mod which was competitive tower defense. Was quite cool. Each player controlled half the map and the things you do would control upgrades to baddies attacking the enemy and when to send special waves, as well as needing to worry about your own defenses.

• PleasingFungus says:

Yeah, pretty sure there were variants of that in War3 as well.

So much innovation in those custom maps, unconstrained by little things like “polish” or “graphics not taken from Warcraft 3’s default assets”. I kinda miss them.

19. Tunips says:

Tower defence isn’t my cup of tea, but ‘Terrorhedron’ is a great name for a thing. Congratulations to the developers.
    In fact I think I feel an Eclipse Phase adventure coming on. A bit of Alien, a bit of Cube, and maybe some Modrons.