Mass (Voice) Effect 3 Trailer

Martin! Over here! I'm your number one fan! Martin! Marty! - Hmm, he must be - MARRRRRRRRRRRTIN!
Words. Words need voices, or they’re just stupid, noiseless blobs. For example: what if I were to tell you that you’re now reading these words in the voice of Futurama’s Professor Farnsworth? Oh my, yes indeed. Bioware have just released a small teaser trailer showing you who is making their blobs into voices for Mass Effect 3. Now I know it’s the third game in a trilogy, so you’ll probably know who is making word things less blobby, but when I get the chance to link to President Bartlet Sheen, I take it. Join me below in a frankly embarrassing amount of hero worship.

Oh, Bartlet. Look at the twinkle in his eyes! You know he’s a Nobel Prize winning economist? I’d eat his chilli, even if Joshua Lyman thinks it needs more cumin. I’m a bit miffed that the trailer gives away the fact that he records his dialogue, as until now I’ve been pretending he was sat by my side, reading it out, softly whispering into my ear, his overly-spiced chili-breath warming my neck… Anyway, there are some other actors in there: Tricia Helfer, Keith David, Seth Green… but I tuned out when I couldn’t see Sheen.

1. poohbear says:

wow, big names! love Admiral Anderson, that actor rocks!

• ZIGS says:

Keith David is a fantastic (voice) actor. Martin Sheen as the Illusive Man was also fantastic in ME2

• MSJ says:

Great actor in a great jacket. Seriously, I need to know where he gets that.

• Ultra Superior says:

Thats the super BAD actor, overacting Max Mallini from Cape. One must admit he plays with certain grandeur too common in bad theaters.

• Icarus says:

Don’t you disrespect him, little man…

• briktal says:

I think you mean link to youtube.com

• DaFishes says:

Where in the everlasting fuck is Brandon Keener (Garrus), and what in the hell is this Jessica Chobot thing? Rumor has it you can kick her off your ship. That is what I will do at the first opportunity.

• WotevahMang says:

Yeah, seriously, wtf? Not just her voice, they actually put her likeness in game. So does that mean IGN can’t review ME 3 since it’s a conflict of interest?

• Jenks says:

Show some respect for half of the greatest fight scene in cinema history

2. staberas says:

c’mon wheres Tali?

• soldant says:

Was thinking the same thing… but I think they’re hiding it for a good reason.

• mrwout says:

Yup, because she dies 2 minutes in to the game…

Well it really is scary that I really would be “heartbroken” if one of my beloved characters dies early on in the game.

• staberas says:

@mrwout

my mind has just deleted your post .

In fact i don’t know what are you talking about … where are i ? … who i’m i ?

• soldant says:

Ignore stuff like that, just because something may have been in a leaked storyline or speculation, it doesn’t mean that it’s going to stay that way. I can’t see one of the most popular characters being wiped off the map like that, unless the voice actor threw a fit and walked.

• mrwout says:

Oh what ? that is actually a rumor that even has some ground in a leaked script ?

• MSJ says:

Tali is a confirmed party member (if alive). That said if you take certain actions, both in ME3 and the previous game, she might die (unless they change the script). Not within two minutes, of course. More like after a lengthy mission (or several of them) that ties to the main plot.

• soldant says:

I’m not seeing any legitimate references that Tali definitely is dead. It doesn’t make sense to announce Tali as a squad mate and then kill her off in the first 2 minutes of the game. Unless she died in the former game, then it’s fairly obvious that she doesn’t appear in ME3!

• westyfield says:

They probably didn’t mention her because, as far as I know, Liz Sroka is a little-known voice-actor. With the exception of Jennifer Hale, these trailers are always “look at the famous people in our game”, not “look at the people who voice the main characters in our game”.

• DigitalSignalX says:

GODDAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told myself I’d ignore articles about ME3 because I didn’t want spoilers … but hey, voice actors, what could be so bad about that… maybe new rule should be never read comments…. AAGGGHMMPH.

*head on desk pounding*

3. mrwout says:

Wow EDI is hot, you know for an AI…

• staberas says:

Number six … oh i wish i was Gaius Baltar…

lurkalisk says:

Something in me bitterly (and quite irrationally) resents Tricia Helfer, after replacing Glynnis Talken in Starcraft 2.

I feel like I should like her, but I can’t.

• MSJ says:

If you are jealous of Seth Green in that video, standing next to the much-taller Helfer, wait until you see his wife. Her name is Clare Grant. Go ahead, Google her.

• Aezay says:

@lurkalisk
      Send that bitter resentment towards Blizzard for replacing her, or Glynnis Talken, for not agreeing to do Starcraft 2. It’s not Tricia Helfer’s fault.

lurkalisk says:

@Aezay

Talken DID actually sign on for SC2. Blizzard suddenly decided they wanted to go in another direction, and both Clotworthy and Talken were fired. Apparently the fan backlash was enough to get them to rehire Clotworthy before it was too late, but Talken, who stated repeatedly that she wanted to be there, wasn’t some BSG nerd heroine (read: supermodel with playboy shoot), so she got the shaft.

It IS all Blizzard’s fault, but you know, human psychological nonsense… I did say it was irrational.

4. Anthile says:

Well, I already know who’s not going to be in my party in ME3.

• CaspianRoach says:

Let me guess, it’s the default buff space marine guy who probably walks around with an american football handegg in his free time?

lurkalisk says:

I can’t stand how they try to integrate Liara’s hand-egg obsession either.

Mungrul says:

I’m taking a stand with this one. I really, really want it, but I refuse to buy it while it’s saddled with Origin.
    I could potentially buy it on the 360 or PS3 instead, but I won’t.
    I may go as far as completely spoiling it for myself by watching “Let’s Play” videos on YouTube so I don’t buckle.
    Sorry Bioware / EA, but I refuse to adopt Origin. It does too many things I don’t like.
    While you insist on inflicting it and other “Project $10” schemes on customers, I’m going to avoid buying anything published by you on any platform.

• PatrickSwayze says:

But then your saddled with PSN and 360 DRM if you get it on console! SHIT BRO WHAT YOU GONNA DO? ARE YOU GONNA AGREE TO YOUTUBE’S INVASIVE PRIVACY POLICY??

P.S Origin doesn’t do those things you think it does. It’s a nice piece of software that lets you play games easily, or get this, EVEN WHEN THEY’RE PATCHING and it’s faster than steam too.

I’m guessing it just doesn’t provide you with enough free hats.

• Anthile says:

My experience with Origin is that it’s really just a glorified download manager. Certainly less invasive than Steam.

• DougyM says:

Re. Not buying because of Origin.

Origin is getting a lot of undeserved flack, primarily by people with a silly grudge against EA.

The only downside is patchy customer support but that is true of any large company, i have had questions and issues ignored for over a week by Steam.

Not to mention its offline mode still does not work, i was denied access to my entire library the other week when i lost my net connection for 24 hours and Steam simply refused to enter offline mode.

Refusing to play ME3 because of some silly objections to Origin is cutting your nose off to spite your face.

That is without going into detail about how competition is good and Steam sorely needs competition to keep it honest.

Mungrul says:

My main objection is EA’s history of dropping support for legacy titles over time. I would feel insecure buying any product from Origin given their past behaviour in this respect. Unless they can guarantee to me that software I buy over their service will still be available and playable 10 or more years from now, I’m not spending a penny on any Origin product.
      I don’t think this is unreasonable. I can still play the original Quake and Doom, and do on a regular basis.
      There’s plenty of EA titles that were released 10 or less years ago that no longer have functioning multiplayer components because EA have abandoned them.

• Aezay says:

My issues with Origin:

1) There is no way to change the language of the Origin store, it will force the language based on your IP, which is a really shitty solution. This has in many cases made it impossible for people to buy games on Origin. [1][2][3][4]

2) In my opinion, you cannot compare Origin to Steam, here is why. EA is a huge publisher, which will always have personal interests for their own developers etc. Valve is an indie company, that doesn’t show any kind of personal favorites for any company that wants their product on Steam.

3) This is an entirely personal opinion, but I think many feel the same: I trust Valve, I do not trust EA.

• soldant says:

EDIT: Er, the post I was replying to disappeared. Move along.

• Inarborat says:

Origin has horrible region restrictions. Steam doesn’t.

I’m giving in anyways because Mass Effect 3 is going to be the greatest example of pure camp this year. I can’t wait to laugh at all the people who take this amateur hour storyline seriously. The Room: In Space.

• Lilliput King says:

The Room isn’t really camp, it’s just your regular garden variety bad.

Pure camp is fun. Star Wars was pure camp. Star Trek was even more camp than pure camp.

6. Anguy says:

I hated that worshiping part at the end of the video where everyone is talking about how great ME3 is and how rare these kind of games are today and so on. Mass Effect is a great series and I’m eager to see how the story is ending, but I can’t stand those forced overly cheerful opinions

7. PatrickSwayze says:

This trailer felt… Mass Effecty!

If you know what I mean. I’ve found it really hard not to let the internet’s incessant whining colour my anticipation for ME3 a shade of slightly cautious.

Did anyone see the book burning by the way?

The new tie in by the guy who wrote THAT Halo novel is meant to be awful and apparently some characters are killed off to make it easy for ME3 to do what it wants.

Anybody care to give me a big fat spoiler as to who that was?

• MSJ says:

If you let internet colour your perception of anything, you’d end up shooting every person of colour you come across. And then you will marry a cartoon horse.

• Resonance says:

Well the internet has seen the leaked script. And said leaked script was awful…

• MSJ says:

As I mention in a comment below, a guy who has played the game posted some impressions of the game (but not NDA-breaking, of course). One of the things he did mention is that everything sounds different with proper context, with voice acting and animation accompanying them.

That Deception book is pretty bad, though. Quarians in non-sealed suits, volus without masks, a character ‘growing out’ of autism, a dead character suddenly alive again with no explanation and many other things. I don’t think they affect the story from the game, since the writer of that book has no input in writing the game.

8. Optimaximal says:

Is Chobot a contraction of Chewable Robot?

9. Caspian says:

Josh: You’re… quite a nerd, Mr. President.
    Bartlet:: Really?
    Josh: Yes, sir.
    Bartlet: I assume that was said with all due respect.
    Josh: Yes, sir.
    Bartlet: Is it nerd-like to know that Everglades National Park is the largest remaining subtropical wilderness in the continental United States, AND has extensive mangrove forests?
    Josh: Just a little bit. Yes, sir.

I love me some West Wing….

10. MSJ says:

If anyone wants to know what Jessica ‘PSP-licker’ Chobot is doing here, she plays a reporter working for an Alliance-owned news channel (you can see a camera in the video). If Shepard allows it, she will stay on board the Normandy and provide up-to-date reports on Shepard’s adventures to her viewers. You can also talk to her after every mission, and she will talk with other Normandy crew members. Shepard can also tell her to leave, on concerns for her safety.

A writer who played this game has posted at the Something Awful forums. He said that Vega is a bit similar to Jacob from ME2, but he is a way better character; a better characterization and better story, it seems. He also said that the line between Joker and EDI in the video above is actually played for laughs instead of being dramatic.

Regarding the combat, he said it is difficult to go back to ME2 after playing ME3, stating that the combat being more visceral being one of the reasons. It probably helps that ME3 has more weapons (each moddable), and more abilities for Shepard to use. By the way, the weapons list has been obtained when someone datamined the leaked beta:
    link to pastebin.com

Furthermore, he stated that importing from ME2 will have Shepard continuing his skill tree from where he left off in ME2, but he might get one or two bonus points because the skill tree has changed for ME3 (the leaked beta showed that it has more branches where you have to pick between two options). Shepard’s hair might also look different because of graphical upgrades, but the face look more or less the same. There is a bug with Shepards imported from New Game +, though, but the problem is only with the face.

11. Aezay says:

I cannot be the only one to feel that Chobot doesn’t fit in a game like Mass Effect?

• Hoaxfish says:

Well, with the modelling of her character and that new meatslab guy… there are strange comparisons to Jersey Shore creeping in.

• DaFishes says:

She doesn’t fit in to the story or the universe, and HELLO UNCANNY VALLEY.

EA marketing just pulled off the most contorted ad buy ever on IGN, putting her into the game. Marketing is now dictating at least a portion of the story, and if I feel it too much while I’m playing ME3, I’m done with BioWare.

12. Terragot says:

Oh please Bioware, Have the game take into account a scenario where everyone died on the suicide mission. It would be marvellous to experience a doomed, yet bitter sweet struggle as Joker, battling his bone disease while trying to unite the galaxy against the reapers.

Oh all I want is this, even if it’s half an hour long. Make Joker the hero the galaxy deserves.

13. olemars says:

I wasn’t aware that they’d based the character models so heavily on the voice actors. When I played through ME2 I thought a couple times how Miranda looked a lot like Sarah Walker from Chuck. I didn’t realize before now that it actually is the same actress.

• Bursar says:

I saw an interview with Yvonne Strahovski. She said that Miranda’s face is based on hers… Miranda’s body not quite so much ;-)

• olemars says:

I wonder where they got the motion capture for Miranda from. She walks like a worn-out cowboy, although that could be because the armor pinches in certain places…

• deadly.by.design says:

I know, right? That Garrus guy has a real face for radio.

14. UnravThreads says:

You know, I watched the trailer and all I could think was that Freddie Prinze Jr and Martin Sheen (again) don’t fit their characters. Mr Sheen is a great actor in his own right, but I think he was a poor choice for The Illusive Man, because the visuals and sound don’t add up, plus there was that whole FSHUUUU thing at the start of ME2.

As for Jen Hale <3 Well, good to see her back (how could she not be back?!), but also she didn't seem to talk out of her arse like some do ("YOU JUST DON'T SEE CHARACTER DRIVEN ACTION GAMES"), plus her voice? <3

• PatrickSwayze says:

OH MAYYYYYN I totally loved Martin Sheen in ME2.

But then I love Martin Sheen in anything.

• Caleb367 says:

Nope. Martin Sheen = 50% awesome, 50% win and 50% epic (yes, that’s 150%, deal with it).

• Inarborat says:

I agree on the Freddie Prinze character. It’s like they finalized the Vega design before casting the vo. Sheen and TIM somewhat resemble each other so I think the voices match. Vega looks like someone’s doing a ventriloquist act (Bioware’s horrible facial animations aren’t helping either).

No Meer = poor form Bioware.

• Highstorm says:

Yeah it struck me as odd that they were showing Male Shep in all the clips up to when Jennifer Hale (<3) appeared. Then it was Fem Shep and no Mark Meer. Maybe he couldn't make the shoot?

• Sif says:

Mark Meer’s in Edmonton and this was shot in LA. There’s lots of interviews with him out there on his voice work though.

15. Caleb367 says:

“Words. Words need voices, or they’re just stupid, noiseless blobs. For example: what if I were to tell you that you’re now reading these words in the voice of Futurama’s Professor Farnsworth? ”

Damn. You had me. GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE!

• Odeon says:

Exactly. Professor Hubert J’s voice was in my head, reading Craig’s words for at least three sentences before I consciously decided to turn it off.

And in his words, “Your grandmother can burn in hell!”

• shitflap says:

Just logging on as well to express my dismay at being Farnsworth’d

16. TheWhippetLord says:

Does this mean that Bioware have abandoned that silly habit of wrapping all of their moving picture files in the ‘pulse’ faux-tv nonesense? Because that making them look like plonkers.

• DaFishes says:

Pulse is on “hiatus” until after the release, their twitter said. And thank goodness for that.

17. Highstorm says:

My comment gun needs calibration… Move along, nothing to see here!

18. MonolithicTentacledAbomination says:

Aww man, they delayed it to Sept. 9???