Crazy Like A Box: Six Sided Sanctuary

Oh no. This won’t do at all. It’s late in the day, my brain’s as overheated as a duck in a desert and I just watched a trailer for Six Sided Sanctuary. It’s a puzzle game and even though I know I’ll be absolutely terrible at it, I’m already trying to imagine just how dastardly the later stages will be. There’s a cube, see, but this cube has ideas above its station. It wants to go places. And so it flips from side to side, travelling across blocky landscapes made up of different surface types. Attaching panels to the cube’s sides changes the way it interacts with surfaces and that leads to PROGRESS. It looks lovely but it’s going to involve thinking ahead and carefully calculating moves and…good grief, I’m hot and tired. Video below.

I have to believe that the people complaining that this is a Minecraft rip-off are brilliant satirists who have somehow become trapped in comments sections, where their words will be judged at face value and cause all who read them to despair.

Six Sided Sanctuary would appreciate your Greenlight voting power but will also be available to purchase here when it releases on July 31st.

1. nebnebben says:

The art style is slightly minecraft-esque though. The grass stretching down slightly on the dirt blocks does call minecraft to mind…

• Ovno says:

And every tile based 2d game ever…

• Viroso says:

Not really though. After Minecraft a whole lot of games aped its art style. A whole, whole lot. Before that, though, for one there weren’t many games built strictly in a world of cubes and when that happened they didn’t look like Minecraft.

This one looks a lot like Minecraft too, even if the gameplay has nothing to do with it.

• Contrafibularity says:

It’s funny, when I see blocks textured like that, I immediately think of both Super Mario and Legos but not Minecraft, somehow. Nevertheless, you are and remain a great satirist (as I would be in less stickily hot weather, if I were great, that is).

• nebnebben says:

I’m not sure whether you think mine was satire or not? Its impossible to tell on these great webs

• Highstorm says:

It reminds me more of some of those older jRPG games, though I can’t remember specific examples to illustrate.

2. poe__ says:

Developer here, I’ll answer any questions you guys have :)

3. Faxmachinen says:

Interesting. I’ve seen plenty of cube puzzle games, but I can’t recall one where you actually modify the individual sides of your cube.

4. The Random One says:

Weird, I seem to remember a game that had nigh identical mechanics, but can’t recall which it was… maybe I’m just gravely misremembering Marble Madness.

• The_B says:

Are you thinking of PS1 game Devil Dice, perhaps? link to youtu.be

• MadTinkerer says:

Edge is similar in it’s basic premise (“walking” a cube around a puzzley world), but very different in the details. This also reminds me a bit of English Country Tune but obviously it’s a cube instead of a square.