3 Blind Mice: A Remediation Game for Improper Children

You are ugly
Often the sun rises high over the whitewashed walls outside, the warmth in the tiles seems to glow, the birds sing by the fuschia flowers on fallen pot plants, but you can’t actually forgive yourself. When you look at the pretty sweeping lines of the blue petals on the table cloth you think darkly of how deeply inadequate you are, of how you have never measured up to your peers, of how your talents are failure and eating cold pizza at eleven in the morning. Why have you put on a dress this morning? The bra that fits you well? Why did you put on earrings? Who will see them? It is at this point you wish to punish yourself, and you open a game that you want to punish you. You open 3 Blind Mice, for Improper Children, and throw your earrings at the screen. You are alone and you deserve to be.

There is a wicked humour in the free ‘remediation’ game 3 Blind Mice: A Remediation Game for Improper Children, in that it serves to have you be suspicious from the outset: a discordant music will set you on edge, whilst three child-drawn mice have their eyes removed. The Three Blind Mice will then ask you a series of very easy questions, where you click to register your answer. If you get the answer wrong, you are punished.

You are awful

Remediation game designed for last attempt corrections for particularly troubled youth. Failure to complete this game may result in removal from society. Please do not attempt to find the surveillance units. They are only present for monitoring your progress. Have a pleasant day.

You are consistently reminded that you are being watched, and that your response times are being monitored. Perhaps sometimes you want to be removed from society. Perhaps sometimes you want to be punished. You can’t forgive yourself for never being good enough. You can’t forgive yourself for being abandoned. You play it again.

You are inadequate

1. faelnor says:

This might be one of the best uses of sound in a game yet.

2. Penguin_Factory says:

Are there any jump scares in this? I can’t play it if there are/

• Kitsunin says:

*Probably Spoilers*

I haven’t confirmed it…but a few comments elsewhere would point towards the answer to that question being yes, if you get a question wrong…not that they’re hard, so you probably won’t.

Me, I think I’ll wait until it’s not 2:00 AM to give this a shot, thank you very much…

3. Mittens89 says:

What the hell did I just play?

4. DrScuttles says:

Cheersome and uplifting. Both the game and post.

5. Nintyuk says:

Why Isn’t there enough light in this room. I need to remove all the shadows.
    Shudder…

6. MadTinkerer says:

SPOILERS:

I played through it straight and got the… good? ending? Most of the questions have obvious correct answers, but the answer to the final one isn’t hinted at directly. I chose “everyone” as I guessed it was both the altruistic answer (if there are other people in this awful parallel universe dystopia thing, HELL YEAH I’m sharing the cake if given the option) and the least wrong of the three.

Given the tone of the game, I guessed “me” was the wrong answer, but “I don’t deserve cake” is also wrong because I did awesome on the first try (not that figuring out the answers is hard, but clicking quickly on those correct answers might not be quite so easy on the first try especially given the “disturbing” imagery). Also, ever since Portal I’ve decided that I always deserve cake whenever possible.

7. Wret says:

I was depressed before, but reading this I now know what I need to do – stare at an unflinching, dark void for a few hours.

8. Shadrach says:

That was completely brilliant, nothing like some nihilistic dark entertainment on a summer’s day!