The RPS Bargain Bucket: Bundle of Joy

You can blame this week’s title on one Matthew Parsons, who delivered this image of “pig” aka “the plushie that is occasionally called Arnold.” On top of sending in a community stuffed animal, Mr. Parsons also shot a picture of said cuddly toy’s round-cheeked owner. In a bucket. Yes, there’s a picture of a little girl with a bucket on her head in my inbox. I am dead from cute. Anyway, have some cheaply priced bundles of joy in honour of Mr. Parsons’ bundle of joy.

Luck of the Irish / Pot of Gold
Save up to 90% when you pick your own five games
Ah, you Irish people. With your potatoes, your leprechauns, ginger-haired beauties and this delicious Luck of the Irish bundle. How can we not adore you? GOG.com’s special bundle is flat-out awesome. You’re going to need to pick five games, it seems, in order to benefit from the huge savings. However, GOG.com has made it easy. Off the top of my head, I’d recommend Fez, Hotline Miami, Book of Unwritten Tales, Reus, Dust: An Elysian Tail and Brutal Legend. I also recently heard great things about Expeditions: Conquistador. (Thank you, commenter whose name I cannot quite recall!)

Want to gamble on the Pot of Gold offer? Sure thing! For $2, you can test your luck against the RNG to see if you’ll end up with a cool game.

Bundle of Love for Brandon Boyer
$25/£15.03/€17.98
This bundle makes me so very, very happy. Like, you have no idea. 30 great indie games (and counting) brought together into one convenient $25 bundle? All in the name of loving support and charity? Sure! According to the website, all of the proceeds will be poured directly into the Brandon Boyer Cancer Treatment Relief. If there is any excess, those spare dollars will then be funneled straight into a selected cancer research organization. Unless my mathematical skills were crippled by prolonged exposure to plushies, it looks like they’ve raised over $300,000 already. Woohoo!

Reboot 2.0 Bundle Stars
$2.49/£1.50/€1.79
The backlog hungers and websites like Bundle Stars make it ever easier to feed the beast. Reboot 2.0 features a host of curious games, including Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space which many have compared FTL to. Sadly, the rest of the games seem to be “okay” on average, with Metacritic declaring a near-universal 3 out of 5 stars for all parties involved. (Afterfall Insanity was the weird, unpopular kid in the line-up with its almost 3 out of 5 stars.) Still, $2.00. $2.00 really is a nice set of numbers. (P.S: This bundle most likely will be over by the time you read this, I think. Just, y’know, saying.)

The SEGA Humble Weekly Sale
Price to beat $5.99/£3.60/€4.31
Yup, it’s all bundles this week. Why? I don’t know. Because I can, I suppose. (Also see squee-filled introduction.) The SEGA Humble Weekly Sale features a solid cast of suspects. Company of Heroes is an old favorite of mine as is Rome: Total War. I even like The Typing of the Dead: Overkill which is kind of camp, kind of silly but nonetheless quite brilliant.

Also of note:

The Debut II Bundle – Current minimum price to pay $3.49/£2.10/€2.51
Consider this bundle tentatively recommended. I’m curious about Spice Road, which puts you in charge of an 18th century colonial governor. 8-bit Commando looks interesting as well, especially if you’ve been hankering for a Contra clone.

The Learn to Code Bundle – Price to beat $13.24/£7.96/€9.52
I’m breaking from the usual profusion of video game bargains in favor of something a little more, well, constructive. This pay-what-you-will bundle will provide access to 8 “actionable online courses”, 826 total lectures and “more than 80 hours of content.” Um. Time to get your (web) coding on?

Epic Fantasy Bundle – Current price to beat $12/£7.22/€8.63
In for a penny, in for a pound? Yes, this is totally not a video game bundle. But it does feature some fantastic writers, great reading material and something to do in between gaming sessions. (Please don’t hurt me. )

Agricultural Simulator 2013: Collector’s Edition – $5.99/£4.99/€4.31
Remember Nathan’s farm? Remember that apocalyptic farm at the end of days?Well, there you go.

1. Stompopolos says:

The Pot of Gold trick seems to already have been fixed. Well done GoG, even if my cautious side is rather miffed.

• monkehhh says:

Get to checkout page, view the page’s source, search for ” <span class=”game-title-link” > ” and you’ll find 5 game titles – I’d *assume* they’re the ones you’re gonna get. If you don’t like them, re-roll!

• icupnimpn2 says:

By using monkehhh’s technique and some compulsive re-rolling, it looks like the PPoG games are drawn from a short list:

Puddle
        Giana Sisters: Rise of the Owlverlord
        Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
        System Shock 2
        Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender
        Ittle Dew
        I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
        Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition
        Avernum: The Complete Saga
        Painkiller Black Edition

• GH Moose says:

Hopefully this pastes in OK – but if anybody uses greasemonkey for firefox this userscript will (currently) show the items in your random boxes on-screen during checkout, before payment.

// ==UserScript==
        // @name ShowGogRandoms
        // @version 20140314
        // @namespace ghm
        // @grant none
        // @include *secure.gog.com/checkout*
        // @description Showing hidden sales stuff
        // ==/UserScript==
        jQuery( function () { jQuery(“div.game-list-holder”).css(“display”, “block”); } );

2. Pazguato says:

Don’t want to be rude but I miss the days when Lewie Procter was writing this section. It was really complete and extensive and way beyond the obvious choices.

Lexx87 says:

I think Cass’ writing is much better, and if I want the detailed nitty gritty I can still go to Lewie’s website or wherever. I prefer the details (such as the GoG workaround) and pointing to not just game bundles. The Epic Fantasy Bundle is great, i’d have never known otherwise.

Also i’ve become biased because after following and reading tweets from Lewie around the time he was let go…he’s a bit of a twit.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

I won’t comment on Lewie’s personality as I know nothing about him but I don’t like the fact he includes CD key resellers on his site, I can’t see how they are any good for the industry and they feel like legitimised piracy.

Lexx87 says:

That’s fair enough, I should say he seemed to be a bit of a twit :)

• Baines says:

To be fair, this article included a description on how to exploit a random game selection. With GOG fixing it, the article points out a commenter workaround.

(Yes, I know the information would get out and around anyway. And yes, randomized game purchases are generally a loser’s game. But it does seem a bit off when a site openly advertises and effectively advises such an exploit (even versus silently letting commenters talk about it).)

• Cassandra Khaw says:

I think I viewed it in the same light as registering an US account in order to snag something on Amazon. But, in retrospect, you’re right. I’ll take mention of that down and hope you’ll accept my apologies for being a retard. ._.

• Baines says:

It’s an issue that is made more vague because GOG’s deal itself is kind of scammy and/or at least moderately exploitative. The majority of people who take the deal (without exploiting it) are likely going to end up with a game that they normally wouldn’t have paid $2 to buy. That, I think, makes people a bit more willing to support customer exploiting GOG’s system.

• The Random One says:

It’s shady, but I don’t find it that shady, compared to, say, TF2’s gamble boxes. I do hope it doesn’t become a common thing though.

• Kitsunin says:

True but at least GoG is at least giving you the option to ignore it. TF2/CS:GO are giving you items that are worth virtually nothing which just sit there begging to be opened. The fact that they drop with playtime leads to the impression that they are actually worth something, yet on average you will come out with something worth less than the key.

• Vandelay says:

You sure about that linking to dodgy key sites? Looking at the list of digital distribution sites, the only key seller is Simply CD Keys, which is legitimate. The key you get is probably from a box, but they aren’t exactly hooky copies that are likely to already have been registered by someone, like you might run into on those Russian key selling sites. They will have given money to the publisher for the copy.

I don’t really see how that is like piracy.

• trjp says:

What the hell is “legitimised piracy”? That’s like saying “legal theft” – it’s an oxymoron?

Most of the resellers that Lewie (and other deal places) highlight are exploiting regional price variations (usually Russian). The keys you get are usually referred to as ROW (Rest of World) Keys – they’ll work in many different regions and – indeed – are usually (99% of the time) the same thing you’d buy from Steam/Origin/uPlay directly

How that is ‘piracy’ (a derogatory term for copyright theft) I have no idea!?

I think what you mean is that you have some stupid idea in your head about the value of something which means nothing whatsover – could you maybe keep that in your head eh?

• captainparty says:

Did he hit a nerve because you like stealing stuff?

• The Random One says:

Legal theft isn’t an oxymoron. Theft is the act of picking something without permission. If a government says that a person who takes something without permission isn’t committing a crime, that act is legal, but it’s still theft.

I’ll leave an example to a more politically minded commenter.

• trjp says:

Hey thanks for the hostile reply captainfarty – I ask why someone is using a derogatory term (and accusing someone of a crime) for a perfectly legal act and I get accused of being keen on stealing stuff – with logic like that, spending an hour in your company will be like taking LSD and then smashing yourself in the face with a hammer!?

“Legal Theft” IS an oxymoron as theft is illegal – at least where I live.

“Piracy” – at least around here – is a derogatory word for copyright theft and I’m a bit lost what that has to do with buying CD keys which must have originated from the publisher/developer of the game in the first place?

The idea that a product is somehow ‘not legit’ just because it doesn’t come from a big and shiny well-known store is slightly odd – it’s an attitide big, shiny stores would love you to foster tho so DON’T do that.

• Vandelay says:

There is a reason why some of those non-big stores are able to sell their keys for so cheap and it is because they haven’t acquired them through the publisher. Under those circumstances, the accusation that it is damaging to the industry and shares similarities with piracy are understandable.

However, I’m still intrigued as to which sites Savygamer links to that would be considered not legitimate? He certainly never linked to any site on here that was selling clearly knocked of copies (pretty certain the odd occasion he linked to site he was unsure about he would say, although I can’t think of any examples,) and the ones listed on the navigation list on Savygamer are all reputable businesses, so can’t see any evidence of the accusation being accurate.

• Cassandra Khaw says:

Pfft. Be rude, if you like. You’re entitled to it.

But, here’s the thing. Lewie’s still very much the bees’ knees when it comes to finding cheap bargains. He’s got loads of experience on me. And I have absolutely no desire to replace his position in the world in that regards. Secondly, and stop me if this is weird to you, I find it awkward to recommend things I don’t find interesting to some extent. Just not me. ._. I am sorry if this miffs you.

But I’m definitely trying to skirt around the “way obvious”. I mean. Look at that coding bundle and the story bundle. :O

• CookPassBabtridge says:

*applause* :)

• bill says:

I like the non-game ones. It has given me a few interesting sites to check out that I hadn’t heard of before.

Highlighting humbles and steam deals is good, in-case people miss them. But I guess a lot of us are already getting alerts about many of those. More obscure titles and bundles are always welcome as well.

• AngelTear says:

*hugs*

I also truly appreciate the occasional non-gaming bundle, and considering I never buy anything anyway, I’ve been really close to buying a couple of them, more than the actual games.

Also, Plushies <3

• The Random One says:

Sorry, Cassandra, but I’m agreeing with the OP. The coding bundle and the story bundle are interesting, but Lewie would often bring out interesting deals from little known sites. For instance, you rarely mention Gamersgate, which is a pretty big seller. I like your column and I like your writing style and I love plushies ♥ yay! but you would benefit from being a tad broader in what you include.

• Cassandra Khaw says:

Constructive criticism is always, always welcomed. Don’t apologize. There’s absolutely no bloody way anyone is going to get anywhere if they don’t have people bopping ’em along. I’m going to sneak-edit some silliness from Gamersgate into the column, thanks to your recommendations. :3

Also, don’t hesitate to just e-mail me and go “OY, I’ll make sad faces at you if you don’t add this deal.” And also, hell, just tell me about your favourite obscure bargain sites!

(This comment was written without coffee. Blame all incoherence on lack of coffee.)

• bill says:

I dunno about GOG, but gamersgate and steam will email you about price drops on your wishlist. So if you set up BB wishlists on every site ever, and add every game ever (that doesn’t suck) then…
            ..you’ll get overloaded with emails.

• quietone says:

I am not one who usually gets involved in these kind of arguments, and I am not fond of defending nor attacking any of the writesrs but…oh what the hell.

1) I don’t thing Cassandra merely picks the obvious choices. This week’s column shows that with her recommendation of other kinds of bundles (which she already did in the past as well)

2) Even if she did, I have no problems with that, as there are plenty of sites as easy to find as this one with much more comprehensible listings (isthereanydeal, for example…BAM! Instant bundle information overload)

3) Of course, this is all a matter of tastes, so my opinion does not means yours is wrong. In my case, though, I couldn’t care less about the number of deals. What I like about Cassandra is that she is not merely listing lots of obscure deals…she cares for her choices. and she presents them with enough honesty and passion as to make them interesting for us as well or at least for an interesting reading.

I, for one, enjoyed Procter’s column, but I enjoy Cassandra’s one infinetly more.

And no, I don’t really care about plushies :)

• CookPassBabtridge says:

“And no, I don’t really care about plushies”

;_;

• TWChristine says:

I had this great post idea where you were going to be sitting on your plushie throne, stroking your chin as you pondered the fate of this transgressor, before finally ordering their demise for such blasphemy. But then I figured perhaps I’d just come off weirder than usual, so decided maybe I shouldn’t..

• Gap Gen says:

In the Game of Plushies, you win or you snuggle.

• YogSo says:

Or rather, you snuggle or you die. :-D

• CookPassBabtridge says:

At first I was angry. Then, as most would, I asked myself what Abraham Lincoln would do. “If I was in their shoes, if I had seen all that they had seen, maybe I would balk at the cuddliness and adorability of a small pink dragon-pig. If I had seen all that death, slaughter, and terrible customer service in Argos that this person had, I too would see feelings of nurturing and peace as a painfully out of reach luxury”. Instead, I was just sad, and I cried those tears for s/he who had offended, for I would be just as s/he is under the same circumstances.

**single tear falls, lightly dampening a collection of baby bunny rabbit plushies**

• MartinWisse says:

The thing is, it’s easier than ever to find good looking deals on games, but at this point I’d rather have somebody who I trust to tell me whether or not the games in the deal are any good on their own merit, rather than just because they’re cheap. And that’s why I like Cassandra’s take on it.

• trjp says:

Just for the record – this thread is supposed to highlight the best gaming bargains currently available at the time of publication.

The very essence of that – the very DEFINITION of that is that the author picks the BEST gaming bargains and that means – generally – the most obvious ones. There may be a small store somewhere with 10% off your favouritest game ever but how many other people will care and how long will the list be if you include them all?

If you’re missing Lewie’s take on games tho – he still posts those over at Savygamer so there’s your next bookmark.

• Martel says:

Cassandra gets my vote. I love her take on the deals she presents.

I got that Spice Road game not too long ago in a different bundle. I’ve played about an hour’s worth, and while it was entertaining, it felt like it still has a long way to go.

• frightlever says:

I like the CK bargain thread. I liked the Lewie thread as well. But, Lewie’s gone. We can act on that, but Lewie’s gone.

I really don’t like change.

In an ideal world, given the choice, assuming that I could bring Lewie back…

I really like Cassandra’s writing. She’s funny. Lewie was angry, apparently, most of the time.

I like cuddly toys.

(EDIT: that reads kinda dickish. And I AM kinda dickish, but I liked Lewie’s column a lot, before it was canned. I’d rather he was still doing it and Cassandra was using her word smarts reviewing or, who knows, doing journalism on RPS. I bet, given the choice, she’d rather be reviewing or journalisming as well.)

• CookPassBabtridge says:

She’s the content editor for US Gamer, so I think she does a *bit* of ‘journalisming’. You know. On the side, when she isn’t balancing cuddly toys in buckets.

• drewski says:

Complete? Hardly. There have always been more deals in the comments than in the post, regardless of who’s doing it. Which is the nature of the beast – there are far more digital game on sale each week than can be covered in 6-8 items.

I liked BB before, but I like it now too. It’s just different.

3. BadBannana says:

I’m rather happy about the “Luck of the Irish” sale. Lest you forget we exist. Also I believe the person who mention Expeditions: Conquistador was mlaskus with this comment:

Adrenaline Bundle contains also Expeditions: Conquistador, I’ve played it recently and loved it.
    It’s a pretty unique mix of turn based tactical battles, world exploration with resource gathering and text adventures.
    You have to keep your expedition safe, fed and happy while you explore the uncharted lands of Mexico, trade with or exploit the locals. It’s a very unique experience and I recommend anyone to try it.

• frightlever says:

The combat is frequent, predictable and boring. I did not like it much. Acho.

4. DragonOfTime says:

There’s also a new Build a Bundle over at groupees
    link to groupees.com
    There are no big names, but some of the games look quite interesting.

• Baines says:

Anything in particular interesting?

Guise of the Wolf looked pretty bad in TotalBiscuit’s YouTube videos. It has the added ignomy of the developer/publisher using YouTube’s copyright strike system to try to silence criticism, in this particular case through the removal of TotalBiscuit’s videos. And saying on Twitter that they wouldn’t cancel the strikes. And apparently banning people on the Steam forums.

• kalirion says:

Yeah, only get Guise of the Wolf if you want to know first hand what game the fuss was about, but it’s a pretty cheap way to do it here.

Haven’t tried any of them myself, but the ones I look forward to the most are the two RPG Maker games (Aveyond, Skyborn) and the first person puzzler Whitewash. The latter is on greenlight with promises of improvements and Steam key for bundle purchasers, so I’ll probably wait till it’s on Steam to play.

Power-Up also looks like it might be a nice Sh’mup.

5. DanMan says:

Could you please type the game names in bold so one can grasp at a glance what’s contained in bundles? Doesn’t mean you have to mention them all, just the ones you do mention – which i suppose are the mention-worthy ones, amirite?

• Cassandra Khaw says:

Oh, def’ly! Let me fix that.

And yeah! Well. Sort of. They’re the ones I like and approve of. >_> I suppose that makes ’em mention-worthy.

6. Bugamn says:

For those thinking about the coding bundle, notice that is coding for web development.

• LionsPhil says:

So like most web development training, it’s probably a mixture of Wrong, Very Wrong, and Out of Date, then.

• Bugamn says:

Reading more it seems that it also has iOS and Java programming that don’t seem web focused.

• stahlwerk says:

Yes, and python. 3 out of 8 ain’t that bad, i guess, although I wonder at what point recreating a photoshop mockup in CSS and HTML became “coding”.

• Bugamn says:

I didn’t list Python because it’s specifically Python for web development.

• stahlwerk says:

So, like the google V8 API docs, then.

• Baines says:

Or Microsoft’s Visual Studio documentation. (At least it used to be that way, with little maintenance done so pages and examples would link to deprecated or supposedly soon to be deprecated functions, and you could even find chains of deprecations. It was good for referencing a function, but pretty awful for finding the current “right” way to handle a task.)

• Gap Gen says:

Equally, I think most of the better resources for learning to code games can be found free online.

• Synesthesia says:

ooh! Mind sharing a bit of that? I would love to get started with some courses on coding. Maybe python or java, so i can finally start making true expressions in after effects at work.

• Csirke says:

Well the one I know about, and had some pozitive buzz, is Codecademy. I don’t have personal experience, since I learned to program long ago, but for example this review from the top google hits seems pretty positive :
          link to chronicle.com

• Bugamn says:

If you want to learn some coding by yourself, I think that the official Python tutorial was a nice intro: link to docs.python.org

If you want to be different and try some Lisp, you can read this book: link to mitpress.mit.edu

There was also an online book for Ruby whose name I don’t remember, and another for Haskell.

• Gap Gen says:

Other than what people have said, it’s also good to practice by doing, and look at other python code to pick up good habits. Googling is also helpful as stuff like stack overflow has a lot of tips on even basic stuff. Python is a fairly clean, forgiving language, so you should be OK. The only thing is knowing how references work – in Python everything is an object, so you get some odd effects if you forget that python isn’t copying the actual data, by rather the address to the data (like copying a house’s street address rather than the house itself). This means that if you do a = Thing () then b=a, modifying b can modify a too.

7. Bugamn says:

I didn’t find it on the Sega Bundle page, but on the e-mail it says “*Note: The Typing of the Dead: Overkill is not available for sale in Germany. Customers in Germany will receive Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed instead of The Typing of the Dead: Overkill.”

I think the Germans got the better deal.

• stahlwerk says:

That is indeed the better deal. Would me gifting this to non-deutsches be against the ToS?

On a side note: in Germany, Golden Axe — which is contained in the “10 classic sega games” thing — was taken off the market by the authorities when it was first released in 1989. When it was re-released in the 2000s for the playstation 2 it got a 12 and above rating, and later for the wii with a 6 and above rating.

• PsychoWedge says:

Well, I would’ve rather liked a copy of the Typing of the Dead. In fact, that was the only reason I had any interest in the bundle… So I guess, my money stays in my pocket. It is a strange world when apparently it is unacceptable for adults to kill zombies with words… ^^

8. Anthile says:

I made a quick info graphic as to how to “game” the GOG sale: link to i.imgur.com
    I used Firefox but I doubt it’s any difficult with other browsers. Also, I can’t make any guarantees.
    List of apparently possible games is here: link to gog.com although some games seem much more common than others.

• Alien426 says:

Thanks for that.

I only got one of these 10 games in the Pot Of Gold:
      – Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender
      – Avernum: The Complete Saga
      – Geneforge 1-5
      – Giana Sisters: Rise Of The Owlverlord
      – I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
      – Ittle Dew
      – Painkiller: Black Edition
      – Penumbra Collection
      – System Shock 2
      – Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack

9. bill says:

SEGA bundle isn’t available in Japan, (or HK i hear).
    Sad that humble bundle is allowing publishers to dictate terms like that. (coming soon after GOG started to do similar things). sigh.

• Cassandra Khaw says:

@__________@ WHY IS THIS ALL GETTING SO COMPLICATED

• bill says:

Cos businesses seem to like making it complicated.

Don’t worry, you probably only have 3 readers from japan anyway.
        (and we’re all probably used to the joys of getting around arbitrarily placed barriers to iplayer, hulu, steam, google play, etc etc etc…)
        Still miffed at humble bundle for getting involved in all that though.

• MartinWisse says:

The good news is that GOG seems to be walking away from this.

10. Bradamantium says:

Loaded up on the Pot o’ Gold, forgot that GoG doesn’t magically know what games I own on Steam, and got three repeats. That’s what I get for thinking I’m even a little lucky.

• bill says:

Can you gift / swap them?
      (not with me, i already have 98 billion unplayed games. Just generally).

11. YogSo says:

The sale that’s picked my interest this weekend is 80% off Grand Theft Auto Complete on Steam, including GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas and IV+Liberty City Episodes. The only reason I’ve not purchased it yet is because I was hoping it would be showcased here and I wanted to read about any nasty “surprises” that I may not be aware of, like GFWL or Windows 7 incompatibilities or something like that. Anything at all to report along those lines, folks?

• fish99 says:

No problems on Win7, but GTA4 and EfLC do have GFWL, and of course that’s getting switched off soon so you’ll lose multiplayer. You should still be able to play single player with an offline profile though. I’ve never had any issues with GFWL myself but YMMV.

Actually, once GFWL servers are gone, will it still be possible to activate GFWL games? I honestly don’t know.

• YogSo says:

Aw, crap, thanks for your reply. I had forgotten GTAIV required GFWL too, I thought that Rockstar Social Club thingie was the only other extra registration needed. I’m not too worried about the multiplayer aspect, to be honest, but I really don’t want to “reward” that kind of attitude against customers: “Oh, sure, one part of the game we are selling to you won’t work for much longer. Yes, we are aware of that, it’s not a bug or something accidental. No, we can’t bother ourselves to do anything about it.”

• Rizlar says:

In the last mission of GTAIV there is an unexpected quicktime event. For some reason the rate at which you have to hit the button is tied to the frame rate, making it ridiculously tough at 50fps+. You can find work arounds online, or just turn everything up to max and start playing videos in the background to drop the fps, like I did.

That is all.

• YogSo says:

Oh, hey, thanks for the heads up. I don’t think I’d have a problem with too many fps on my current rig :-p, but I’ll take note of that just in case.

• fish99 says:

The way I got round that was to have fraps running set to record at 30fps, and once you jump off the ramp, hit F9 to start fraps recording which locks the framerate and let’s you complete the QT. You still need to mash though.

TBH that very last section is bloody annoying, but the game is great IMO.

• Rizlar says:

Ha, nice one. It is extra irritating since up until that point there are exactly 0 button-mashing events.

But yeah, other than that it’s a pretty great port. I even ended up using the mouse and keyboard controls despite having a pad available!

• bill says:

Ohh… would that work with interstate 76, where the cars constantly brake if it runs over 30fps?

But I’d have to record the entire game…

12. quietone says:

There’s also a Kalypso bundle on Steam which I bought, including Tropico 4, Rise of Venice, Patrician II and IV, Grand Ages Rome and many more (43 items in total, counting DLCs and fillers like Pitstop 2012 ughh). Each one of these titles is enough to keep you busy for a month at least…

• trjp says:

I think that bundle was responsible for Steam going-down earlier this week.

People looked at it and started hammering ‘reload’ in the hope that it would go away – so many broken games – so many games which take eons to get anywhere – it’s terrifying.

It is – in fact – my personal gaming nightmare, packaged and given a pricetag!!

• quietone says:

Lol

I personally love Tropico 4. The Patrician seemed always too slow an dnumber crunching for my taste, but I decided to give it a go. Actually, the bundle is like buying the same game with different graphics and UI, except for the truly abysmal titles like the aforementioned Pistop 2012 or the Dungeons titles. Disciples III is apparently patched enough to be playable, and it’s not that bad. Actually, the best you could say about the bundle is that it’s “not that bad”

Darn you, you just ruined it for me!

13. CookPassBabtridge says:

Hi Cassandra :)

Just wondering if The Saga Of Hoot and Rambert is in production? And after the runaway success of “do ya wanna build a stairwell?”, will you be singing the theme tune?.

link to m.youtube.com

14. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

To whomever snapped the photo above: I have the same strawberry (pictured behind the bucket) baby toy for my little girl! Does yours vibrate when they bite into it?

• Scandalon says:

You’ll probably never see this reply, but yes, it vibrates in order to sooth teething pain.

15. Michael Fogg says:

I never buy bundles. They usually have some stuff that I don’t want. I don’t believe in buying something just because it’s cheap. As a general rule, I avoid buying anything that I don’t want to play at that very moment. My backlog is nonexistent.

16. Beebop says:

Sooooo, all-new US-focused bargain bucket now uses Metacritic scores? Did I miss the RPS policy change?

I honestly don’t know why you still run this column.

• YogSo says:

It’s just so people like you can nitpick about something and experience that feeling of smug superiority that you seem to desperately crave for. A public service, really.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

And I thought all the colossal dicks were in Cara’s column this week

17. Jalan says:

If it takes someone 25 days to read that blurb about the Reboot 2.0 bundle then I think they’ve got bigger problems than worrying about how to allocate funds toward cheap games.

18. Risingson says:

Charity for Health. The Brandon Boyer bundle motivation is really sad: something that should be provided to him is now managed by charity :(

• The Random One says:

Sadly, charities having to pick up the government’s slack is all too common.

19. Convolvulus says:

GameFly Digital is having an encore weekend for a spring sale no one noticed. With their coupon code I was able to get Metro: Last Light for 76% off instead of the measly 75% that Steam is currently offering. They also have LEGO® Marvel™ Super Heroes and Batman™: Arkham Orangutans®™ for as low as I’ve ever seen them. Most of the games activate on Steam, but a few are Origin or Uplay.

[GameFly UK]
    20% off code: UKMAR20OFF

[GameFly US]
    20% off code: MAR20OFF

That’s ‘two-zero-off’ in there.

• thedosbox says:

Worth noting that the Lego games on PC do not have any mouse support, and seem best played with a controller.

20. PopeRatzo says:

I can’t do business with anyone who starts out in such a hostile manner.

“Here, I’ll give you a great deal on a six-pack of beer, but you’ve got to let me take an imprint of your credit card and give me a certified copy of your driver’s license and social security number.”

Maybe it’s not a big deal, but you have to wonder what you’re going to learn about web coding from someone who thinks demanding personal information just to look at a website is acceptable in 2014.

• Just Endless says:

It didn’t for me..

• Samuel Erikson says:

@PopeRatzo
      15/03/2014 at 20:49
      “The Learn to Code bundle website requires an email address just to look at what’s in the deal.”
      No it doesn’t, there’s an X in the upper right hand corner of the dialog box.

21. aratuk says:

Oh Spambot, where the hell do you pay for a Citroën in dollars?

22. Drake Sigar says:

Thanks for the tips, I spotted Expeditions: Conquistador too and it looks to be an interesting one. Picked up that along with Reus, Avadon 1 & 2, and Surgeon Simulator (already had a few of the other games on there so I struggled to find my fifth).

23. Scandalon says:

That’s our pig! (And my daughter in Caras inbox.) That made our weekend. Sorry we killed Cara, I guess if you have to go, death by cute is one of the, well, softer ways to go.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

You killed Cara AND Cassandra with cute? Good lord thats a high K/D ratio for a plushie dragonpig thing

24. MellowKrogoth says:

Since you’re mentioning non-game bundles, here’s a site that bundles tabletop RPG rules ebooks. They change their offer very often, too often for me to keep track :P .