Heli Brawl Looks Like More Local Multiplayer Funtimes

You're not wrong Walter, you're just an asshole.

Before Messhof made Nidhogg and then spent a long time not making Nidhogg, he created a set of great singleplayer and local multiplayer games with tight controls, silly conceits and visuals like visual migraines. I miss those days, so the reminiscent style of Heli Brawl by 2BAM is a welcome addition to my life. It’s a local multiplayer game for 2-4 players in which helicopters brawl, skydivers battle, and character who look a lot like Walter from the Big Lebowski struggle in melee combat. Trailer below.

Messhof isn’t involved in making it or anything, by the way. It just reminds me of his stuff.

The melee combat looks particularly fine. I’ve got a little group now of people who are excited and able to play local multiplayer games, and in between bouts of Towerfall, Gang Beasts and Mount Your Friends, I think we’d appreciate grappling one another like an ’80s action star and trying to steer each other’s guns back towards our opponent. I will call myself Kurt Russell, and if I win, all others must do likewise.

Also the Heli Brawl website is designed to look like it was built in Microsoft Publisher – not even Frontpage – in around 1996. So yeah. The game is due out later this year “probably”.

1. AngelTear says:

What the hell is “capiche”?
    It’s spelled “Capisce” or, alternatively, “capisci”.

I’m disappointed in Graham’s lack of proper mafioso culture.

• misterT0AST says:

It’s also something that sounds a bit weird in Italian. It’s a bit like asking the person in front of you “are you understanding?” But I guess if the expression entered pop culture, they really did use it (?)
      “Capito” is actually something that would, in my opinion, be more suitable to the situation. It means “got it?” Which is what I think actors mean when they say “kapeesh” (having great care not to pronounce the last letter, which would actually give away what kind of word they are trying to pronounce).

• Viroso says:

I didn’t watch my friends die face down in the muck for people to misspell capisce like that.

• Low Life says:

Yeah, Graham, it’s spelled capisce. Capiche?

• The Random One says:

Wait, isn’t it “capicce”? AFAIK the SC combination doesn’t make the ‘ch’ sound in Italian. I’ll have to ask my nonna about this.

E: Either way, I’m pretty sure that CH makes a Q sound in italian, so Graham’s spelling would read “capike”.

2. NailBombed says:

This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps.

3. noodlecake says:

Is that John Goodman playing his character in Big Lebowski?

• noodlecake says:

Oh shit. Probably should have read the article first! :P

4. AimHere says:

Comic Sans! Animated starry backgrounds! HTML marquee tags! My eyes!

If you want a brief trip back to 1997 or you have Geocities Nostalgia Syndrome, then you could do worse than check out Heli Brawl’s horrifically retro-themed website.

Suddenly, I’m filled with gratitude for 15 years of progress in web design…

5. Ross Angus says:

Punk’s not dead.

6. DrollRemark says:

For once, dubstep feels entirely appropriate.