The Art Of Spacelunking: Blackhole

Obeying Newtonian laws of physics very much isn’t in these days. If you’re not manipulating Zero-Point Energy or jetpacking through windows, you better have skyscraper-leaping superpowers or that most impossible of things, the “double jump.” Given that it takes part through, possibly in, one of the least understood and most terrifying phenomenons in space, Blackhole at least has a good excuse. Gravity pads are the particular brand of un-reality in this instance, changing the way the nameless space-waiter main character and his AI companion Auriel are affected while leaving everything else the same. There’s a massive trailer showing off not only how the game plays, but also some impressive voice acting and writing. Warp through to it below.

Overly angry companion aside, that’s higher quality than a number of big budget efforts. There’s a version of the same video with a little developer commentary peppered in over here. I’m interested to see more, particularly what route the plot takes and what may become of that wonderfully voiced AI. The more astute among you may have already realised it’s constructed solely in Game Maker, though it hides those roots well beneath that lovely blue sheen.

Yonder Greenlight page makes mention of involving popular Youtubers as part of the cast, both in terms of character design and voice acting. It’s an interesting new avenue, and one I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few major publishers pick up on in coming years. Having recently witnessed the queue to get into the queue to see Yogscast at Rezzed, I can exclusively confirm this Youtube stuff is a mite popular.

1. Noburu says:

I say, this Youtube nonsense will never catch on. Why would people watch things when they can read?

2. P-Dazzle says:

I’m not sure voice acting can make up for what looks like a very average platformer.

3. ArtyFishal says:

Are you being sarcastic about the voice acting and writing? I can’t play a game that sounds this annoying.

• kyrieee says:

Yeah I’m not into the VO either. I know that it’s a hard thing to do, especially for indie games with a low budget, but it just sticks out to me and steals all my attention.

• Jalan says:

“Introducing Markiplier as the voice of…”- cue flood of angry “I demand a refund” forum posts/etc.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I like Markiplier. SCP Vids are make me LARF.
          EDIT: Thought you were being serious. Am now disappointed he’s not (confirmed as being) in it.

• Ahkey says:

It’s a bit grating, but doesn’t seem entirely unfitting with the tone of this game. Not every 2D sci-fi platformer needs the atmosphere of The Swapper or Waking Mars. I suppose.

• Jalan says:

Definitely not serious as it pertains to who is providing voiceover in this game. More predicting the future in a somewhat comical fashion.

Alternatively, had he not taken to often obnoxious, sometimes funny gaming videos then Markiplier probably could’ve had a lucrative career in the voice acting industry. Most people in that business would undoubtedly kill for a voice like that.

• Caiman says:

Wow, that’s terrible. It reminds of those annoying Saturday morning budget cartoons: constant, gratingly patronising chatter. The bit during the lava sequence would have made me want to stop and get swamped by hot, molten rock just to get that voice to shut up. Pity, the platformer looks competent.

• Wedge says:

The biggest problem seems like a lack of authorial control on the dialogue. The male characters dialogue is exceedingly and awkwardly verbose, as I assume it’s the usual style of speaking for whatever he normally does on the youtubes. It’s clear he’s not playing a character, but just being himself, which feels out of place.

I do think there is a lot of talent out there that would be an excellent resource for indies looking to do VA in a game though.