The Most Charming Space Elevator: Lumo Looks Magnificent

“Being lost isn’t scary,” claims the developer description of isometric puzzle adventure Lumo. “It’s an adventure.” I know this from personal experience, given that I have all the directional sense of a windblown band-aid. I’ve been lost in parks, parking garages, parking lots, and places without the word “park” in them (though I suppose you could do parkour on some of the buildings I’ve gotten lost in). I’ve never had the good fortune of losing my way in a mysterious castle, however, nor am I a young wizard. Hmmm. But then, I suppose that’s what videogames are for. That, and fantastic elevator scenes. In psychedelic dream outer space. See it all below.

Looks relatively simple, but also utterly charming. Lumo is primarily the work of ex-Ruffian (Crackdown 2 developer; he does not have a past as a street-roaming brigand… that I know of) man Gareth Noyce. Here’s the premise:

“Lumo is an isometric, arcade adventure game, of the same ilk as revered 8 Bit classics: Head Over Heels, Knightlore, Alien 8, Chimera and Solstice. You play the part of a young wizard, lost in the depths of a mysterious castle that’s part museum, part death-trap. Explore more than 150 rooms, solve physical puzzles, bring ancient machinery to life, collect runes & spells and uncover hidden areas as you work your way safely outside.”

Sounds like a warm plate of comfort food, albeit given a bit of extra zest by the potent spice that is modernity. Seeing as it has already been an extremely long week for me and I am ridiculously tired, that sounds appealing on so very, very many levels.

If all goes according to plan, Lumo will be out in early 2015. For now, however, it’s on Steam Greenlight. Will you help it find its way?

1. Llewyn says:

Namedropping Knightlore, eh? Namedropping Head Over Heels, eh? He’s got my attention, but that’s a lot of nostalgia to live up to.

2. JFS says:

Looked way adorable up until you saw the protagonist’s face in a close-up. Uncanny times three. Also, while the elevator scene is great fun, it’s now spoilt. What a pity. I’d compare it to the “entering Mexico” scene in Red Dead Redemption, but I believe such things only work when you don’t expect them.

• Ross Angus says:

And who could forget the mission in Assassins Creed 3 where it turns out you’re a PA on a film set, and need to get everyone’s coffee orders.

3. Shadowcat says:

Gareth Noyce: You need to remove the word “isometric” from your description. It does not mean what you think it means.

Given that you’re the developer, I struggle to understand how that situation has come to pass, but nevertheless your game (unlike the 8-bit titles mentioned) is clearly using a perspective projection.

That said, it’s looking pretty nice, so good luck with it.

4. SillyWizard says:

Okay 2 things —

A) WTF THAT BABY IF FUCKING HORRIFYING MAKE IT STOP NO NO TURNITOFF!

B) “Being lost isn’t scary, it’s an adventure.” <– What is this I don't even. Have you never been lost before? Being lost accounts for some of the most frightening experiences of my life. :/

5. hideinlight says:

Little Big Adventure 2
    No idea why I just name dropped that, but that’s what popped up into my head.

• XhomeB says:

The first thing that came to my mind was Cadaver, if only because of the perspective and room-based progression.

6. RobF says:

I am stupidly excited for this.