Ronin Rumble: Kyoto Wild Announced

Polycount be damned, make those hats round!

Keep your ruddy great pixels, mate. They may signify ‘retro’ but don’t mean nowt to me, as my interest always lay in early 3D worlds. Low-res textures and, even better, flat-shaded polygons are what jab and tug at my nostalgia glands. Kyoto Wild pleases me an awful lot, with the hard edges of 3D before we started gabbing about Gouraud shading being photorealistic, trees like something mangled with vertex manipulation in Worldcraft, and player models with obscenely high-poly hats that could easily appear in a Milkshape 3D viewport render posted to Planet Half-Life.

I’m also pleased because it’s a four-player murderfest with one-hit-kill weapons including a fan.

Kyoto Wild sees retired ronin brawling around the dojos, courtyards, and festival halls of a town in feudal Japan, fighting with whatever’s on hand, like swords, rakes and, yes, a fan. (I’m always excited by fan-fighting in martial arts movies, you may guess.) It’s a four-player competitive brawler, fighting down until one ronin is left standing before the action moves to a new part of town.

“But Alice,” you may wonder, “if all we have to go on right now is a handful of details and a few screenshots, isn’t this excitement a bit premature?” Perhaps! But I should also mention it’s being made by Teddy Diefenbach, a designer on Heart Machine’s Hyper Light Drifter, the 2D action-RPG that our Nathan has quite enjoyed. Diefenbach probably knows a thing or two about good people-hitting, then.

And if people flipping their lids over visible pixels has somehow been cool and hip for years now, I’m allowed at least a few weeks of being excited by neo-primitive 3D (doesn’t Skipping Stones look amazing?). I was young once too, you know. I can remember things from the ’90s too, you know.

From this site

1. Alien426 says:

The terrain reminds me of Zombygon. But color and isometric view suggest Little Big Adventure…

2. rexx.sabotage says:

Can there not be room in our hearts for both pixels and polys?

I wonder how Trillek is doing…

3. Manburger says:

Oh man, yes, I also totally love this sort of flat low-poly look! Suppose we don’t know anything about how it might play, but if it’s from someone involved in Hyper Light Drifter it’ll probably be a tight lil’ package. (missus)

4. Sparkasaurusmex says:

Hmmm… Early 3D without textures are the worst graphics ever.

Harlander says:

Nah, early textured 3D where if you get close to stuff the textures all warp and bend weirdly is the worst

• Consumatopia says:

Is that “early” 3D, or “Playstation” 3D? Because PSX is the only place I really remember that weird texture bending.

EDIT: reading more on this, I guess the issue I’m thinking of was that the PSX did texture mapping in hardware, but that texture mapper never sees the Z coordinates (because the PSX had no z-buffering.) It just textured the triangle according to it’s texture coordinates as if that triangle were in 2D, not taking perspective into account. Thus weird bending.

I can appreciate many kinds of old computer graphics nostalgia–vector displays, fat pixels, flat polys, low res textures, gourand shading, fake CRT scanlines–hell, even glitched mpegs are cool. But I absolutely draw the line at that weird PSX bending. That was objectively butt ugly, woe unto anyone who would dare to bring that back!

Phasma Felis says:

Oh, no, son. No no no. God no. Early 3D with textures is the all-time shitshow. Great fat pixels the size of packing boxes, so badly aliased in 320×200 that they look like someone worked them over with a handsaw. And let’s not forget that trying to do smooth light levels with a 256-color palette basically leaves you with 256 different shades of brown. Quake 1 was so fucking brown that when they managed to make one level that was sort of vaguely blue-ish, they named it after the color.

Early flat-shaded polygons at least had a sort of clean plastic-y feel to them. The good ones, anyway.

And modern flat-shaded polygons like this game uses, with modern lighting and carefully-chosen materials effects, can be absolutely gorgeous, like living toys or papercraft.

5. Universal Hamster says:

Really want to see this in motion… Looks like it could be a bit like Power Stone, and if it is? Joy!

6. int says:

That gigantic misshapen ice cream looks delicious.