SUPERHOT Is On Kickstarter, Still Stylish But More Beautiful

SUPER. HOT. Getting the idea?

And all at once, the internet tweeted. SUPERHOT, the first-person shooter in which time moves only when you do, is now on Kickstarter. The original prototype caused a stir last year by turning combat into a puzzle in which you had to move efficiently to conserve time, dodge bullets and take out your enemies, and by presenting each of its short scenarios with precision and style.

You can still play that original prototype if you missed what the fuss was about. You can back the Kickstarter project right now, where $14 will net you the final game and they’re looking for a total of $100,000. Or you can step below to watch the new trailer and discover exactly how the team has been advancing through time these past eight months.

The prototype was originally made for the 7 Day FPS challenge, which meant it was short and economical with what the team could make in that time. From those constraints spawned a lot of style, such was explaining missions by hovering a tossed gun in the air in front of you and writing THE. DEAL. IS. OFF. in giant font on screen one word at a time. Slow motion – particularly bullet time-style dodging – has become commonplace in games, but SUPERHOT managed to make it feel fresh and present it in an intuitive way over the course of just fifteen minutes.

It looks like the past eight months have been spent re-writing the code from scratch and turning the abstract-by-necessity art style into something more deliberate. On the other hand, it looks like they’ve also added the ability to slice bullets in half with a sword, and the Kickstarter project page mentions developed scenarios like “shootout in a subway train, showdown on the top of a skyscraper in the rain, jumping into a moving elevator…”. These are all things I want to do.

Ach, yeah. I’m going to do a thing I never do and back this one myself. SUPER. HOT. SUPER. HOT. SUPER. HOT.

1. InternetBatman says:

I wonder if it really can be turned into a full game. Superhot was fun, but it was never challenging, which seems like a problem.

Cooper says:

I dunno. The last level was, well, I guess fiddly more than challenging.

I can see how it might be possible to make a decent and interesting puzzle game out of this.

• SuddenSight says:

I agree that the solution was never really difficult to think of, but I really liked the original build. I wouldn’t mind another 100 levels of the same stuff. Maybe a little more weapon variety, but honestly I just love the feeling of bullets whooshing right past my character while a slightly robotic voice tells me how attractive I am.

2. DompR says:

Why yes Mr. Trailer, I am.

• SuddenSight says:

I want that voice playing on an infinite loop in my mind. Amps you up.

3. Fenix says:

I remember playing the demo thing last year, and while it was fun, it didn’t seem like the sort of thing you could make a full game out of.

4. Darth Gangrel says:

“SUPER. HOT. Getting the idea” Yes, I think I actually do, Mr Image Caption. Superhot in Swedish means “Super threat”, so you need to be wary of your actions and plan ahead or this super threat will become superiourly threatening.

• Actually Swedish says:

I had to register to tell you that you don’t know swedish. Cheers!

5. Chuckleluck says:

This is certainly more creative than most FPS’s out there. I wonder if multiplayer would be any good?

6. Cinek says:

Sounds great. Pledged.

I’m really curious about campaign, cause this game smells like a perfect engine for something truly great. But even if not – I still would gladly play additional, and more challenging levels :)

7. Keyrock says:

Poland has suddenly become a game developer hotbed.

8. Urthman says:

It’s almost a shame they have to make a Kickstarter video. The video is only slightly better than having someone tell you the concept, but actually playing the 7DFPS build, you instantly get what it is and why it’s cool.

Skabooga says:

SUPER. HOT. SUPER. HOT.

I seriously love this game. And as Urthman mentioned above, playing the 7DFPS game is more convincing than a hundred Kickstarter videos.

• Geebs says:

The prototype is surprisingly good fun but my god, the Super. Hot. guy should be very glad that punches to the nose delivered via the internet still haven’t been invented.

particlese says: