Suburban Survival: Rebuild – Gangs Of Deadsville

The Rebuild series has filled many a train journey and lazy evening, simple enough to provide a mobile diversion but smart enough that the time doesn’t feel entirely wasted (see Tiny Tower, a charming bottomless pit of taps). Rebuild has difficulty settings, randomised cities and involving turn-based survivor management. It’s about zombies of course, but it’s also about pre-zombies, also known as human survivors. Beginning in a safehouse, the player’s gang must gather resources, scavenge for food and recruit other survivors. The ultimate aim, as the title suggests, is to rebuild the city, gradually making entire districts safe. Gangs of Deadsville, now available on Early Access, adds new events, a tech tree, survivor abilities and an entire faction system.

I spent half an hour with the Early Access release last night and it already feels the equal of the previous game in the series. There’s a realtime mode but I switched to turn-based, as I would with just about any game given the chance.

My brief dabble didn’t introduce me to the actual gangs of Deadsville but even in its incomplete state, the game contains enough that’ll be new to people who have experience of the series. Promising. I may spend more time with it soon, although I’m tempted to wait for the full release before committing.

distantlurker says:

Signed up to this Day 1 but I’m going to wait until it’s done. I’ve broken my love of prison architect coming up against perfectly legitimate Alpha & Beta issues and nearly did the same with GalCivIII.

No moar early access for me. Happy to fund, and to wait ^^

2. AngoraFish says:

Backed this one, but I’m very happy to let others play test it for me while I wait for the final version.

No need to burn out on the game before it’s properly finished.

3. soulblur says:

It’s fun – I played 90 minutes a few nights ago. Met a couple gangs, killed a bunch of zombies, built up my town, had some random events happen to me. Then it crashed. Early Access! The random events (within your fortified area) are enjoyable, although mostly bad, as far as I’ve seen. I like the gangs. Your survivors have a lot more personality. It’s shaping up well.

4. Spoit says:

How’s it compare to zafehouse?

• Scelous says:

I haven’t tried this early access version, but the rest of the Rebuild series is much, much, much, much better than Zafehouse, in my opinion. I personally found Zafehouse way too dry and tedious.

5. Dwarph says:

I adored the flash games of these, glad to see theyre still going

6. perfect says:

Great It’s fun i love this Game

7. Muzman says:

Looks like some christmas shopping adventure. But with zombies.
    Not necessarily a bad thing I suppose.

8. Martel says:

I thought the game looked familiar. Apparently I’ve played the first one on my phone. It was fun, just needed more content, so hopefully this works out well for her.

9. The Random One says:

I kinda bounced off Rebuild, but I think a little more (visible) complexity would’ve kept me in. I’ll keep an eye out for this.

Really hope though that it takes a long time for farms to start working, and you have to live off scavenged food meanwhile. I think the instant farms, for some reason, drove me away on a strangely personal level.

• Frank says:

How about the farms have stockpiles, and you replenish them in time that it comes out even? Also, there is some time taken to build farms.

Anyway, I like that scavenging is the way to go in the early game, but later, you actually have a self-sustaining base. The mechanics drive you to this strategy. The idea of the game is that you are rebuilding, one city block at a time. Sure you’re surviving to do it, but it’s not a survival sim in the masochistic sense.

10. Cryptoshrimp says:

Hmm, is this another one of those flash game ripoffs, like Plague, Inc?

• xao says:

If by “ripoff” you mean a “labor of love by the person who made the first two”, as detailed at the very first link in the story.

11. zosocial1 says:

Hmm, is this another one of those flash game ripoffs, like Plague, Inc?
    zosocial tool