Bear-Beating: Fist Of Awesome Jabs PC

Bear knuckle brawling

Picking a name for your development studio’s tricky business. You probably want something cool, interesting, and distinctive. Combinations of adjectives and animals are played-out by now, but how about throwing verbs into the mix? Nicoll Hunt cunningly went for a studio name which also doubles as a description of what one does in his first game as an indie: I Fight Bears.

His bear-bashing arcade beat ’em up Fist of Awesome launched on PC last night, having done the rounds on the Ouya microconsole and pocket telephones last year.

Starring a lumberjack thrown into a Planet of the Bears situation, Fist of Awesome draws inspiration from Double Dragon and Streets of Rage to beat the hell out of some bears with a giant superpower fist. That’s, you know, that’s it. Which is fine. I’m increasingly drawn towards small games where I know I can beep away and have a few jollies without feeling committed to a sprawling campaign.

Especially if the game’s about as expensive as a cup of coffee in a trendy vegan café, which is of course the sensible metric for measuring enjoyment. Might I enjoy this game as much as I would eavesdropping on the conversation next to me? Fist of Awesome is on the Humble Store now at £2.49, half-price thanks to a launch discount.

From this site

1. Prolar Bear says:

Bear bashing? Ban this sick filth.

2. jezcentral says:

I don’t get it. Is there anything about this game that makes it as good as/better than the aforementioned Double Dragon or Streets of Rage? (I’m genuinely asking. This honestly looks like something that came out 30 years ago).

EDIT: Actually, forget it. If even Alice can’t be bothered to have played it, I don’t see why I should.

EDIT-EDIT: I’m grumpy because I’m sleep-deprived. Two children under two will do that.

3. FurryLippedSquid says:

That screenshot reminds me of the third level of Renegade.

I suppose it might be a nod. But with bears.

4. TaylanK says:

“… launch discount.”
    I know you gotta do what you gotta do to sell your game but… sigh

• The Random One says:

Why sigh? If they want me to buy their game before it’s gone through the court of public opinion, you’d better believe I’ll want a discount.

5. Turkey says:

It’s nice to see that the entire internet got together and made a game.