Rail Replacement: Metro 2033 & Last Light Revamped

More wastelandier than ever

Update: Relax, everyone! A bit, at least. Steam’s offering each Redux for half-price if you own the original game.

Huh! Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light are being “remastered” for re-release, which is a funny thing. The pair of solid shooters are still quite recent, after all, not to mention pretty enough. It all seems quite odd until you remember new consoles now exist–shiny new consoles hungry for pixels and games, which people are quite keen to feed. So thank you, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Thanks to you, 4A Games are giving 2033 a grand makeover and Last Light a fetching new outfit.

Being the more senior of the pair at the ripe old age of 4, 2033 is getting more work as it becomes Metro 2033 Redux. The announcement reels off these changes:

• The original game has been rebuilt in the latest and greatest iteration of the 4A Engine, bringing all the graphical and gameplay improvements from Last Light to Metro 2033 Redux
  • Enjoy completely re-mastered visuals: advanced lighting, dynamic weather, more detailed characters with improved animation, more dynamic destruction and improved smoke, fire and particle effects
  • Experience radically improved gameplay: advanced enemy AI, improved combat and stealth mechanics, superior weapon handling and more responsive, intuitive controls plus signature features from Last Light such as the atmospheric ‘mask wipe’ mechanic, weapon customisation, and silent kills and take-downs

Metro: Last Light Redux’s changes are less drastic. 4A have given it “a graphical face-lift”–a painful metaphor–and introduced handy features like being able to directly check your watch (2033-style I imagine) rather than peer at your virtual wrist. All of Last Light’s DLC is banged into the Redux too.

The announcement also mentions “new full-body player animations” for both games, which I can only hope means I’ll get to gawp down at my virtual legs.

Prettiness is good and all, but what’s in it for those curious sorts who stubbornly insist that graphics have no bearing upon a game? The Reduxes will have ‘Survival’ and ‘Spartan’ options, turning Artyom into either a giant baby scrabbling in the dirt for supplies and fumbling with guns or some manner of swaggering badass.

Both Reduxes are due this summer. They’ll cost £15.99 apiece as downloads or, if you really like your Steam codes to come in a box, come in a Metro Redux boxset for 34.99.

Here’s Metro 2033 Redux:

Prettier men

Here’s Metro: Last Light Redux:

Prettier wasteland

And here are Girls Aloud On the Metro:

1. Dominic White says:

The worst thing about Metro 2033 was that the engine it ran on was a pig, and dragged even the most cutting-edge PCs down. Last Light’s engine is a fantastic piece of work, though, so they really are making an already-good game into a great one here.

All of this from a tiny Ukranian studio.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Didn’t play 2033, but Last Light (which I thankfully only picked up in a sale) ran absolutely horribly for me, any firefight with more than one enemy caused the framerate to drop so horribly all I could do is retreat into a room and shoot the doorway on the assumption baddies would be there. Framerate got pretty bad at times when I was by myself too, chasing that youngster I could only go on my sniper friend’s hints as the actual thing I was chasing skittered across the screen so badly (And yes, I did the obvious, messed about with settings and drivers and that.)
      Eventually I just gave up on it. A shame, seemed a really interesting world.

• LTK says:

Did you turn off advanced physx? I played Last Light on my new laptop and it ran and looked better than the last Unreal engine 3 game I played. It was borderline unplayable with physx on, though, but impressively, the framerate was still stable.

It’s just a shame that I spent the last couple of weeks playing the shit out of Metro: Last Light and then they go and remaster it! How inconsiderate.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

I can’t remember specifically, I think I got to the stage where I’d turned off/lowered everything I could in the options menu. Was that something I should have done outside the options menu/outside the game?

The problem with game sizes nowadays is I’m reluctant to reinstall all 14 odd GB just on the off chance things have improved…

edit: rudely, I forgot to say thanks for your advice. So, thank you!

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Well, let’s be honest for a minute here, Last Light really runs well on a decently powerful rig, and it really is a game that looks like it belongs there.

Nobody would ever claim that it runs like butter on any single piece of hardware, but with all it’s advanced graphic techniques it’s not something one should expect.

The point about 2033, however, is that no matter how much horsepower you’ve got at your disposal, it’s scaling is incredibly horrible, far worse than LL by a byblical margin.

EDIT: there’s one flaw in my post, which is that i’m taking for granted that your hardware is not up to snuff. Do you by chance have an average laptop or a poor desktop? If not, you might have other extranous issues.

• PoulWrist says:

My 680 ran it just fine at max everything at 2560×1440 :S

• Dominic White says:

I have a mid-range PC (3570k, 660ti, 8gb RAM, old HDD), and it ran great at max detail once I made one small tweak: The game uses multisampling for anti-aliasing by default. In short, it’s rendering out the image at AT LEAST double the resolution, then scaling down.

Understandably, this is an enormous performance hog. Turn that shit off, use SweetFX to inject post-processing SMAA to do an a decent job at a fraction of the hardware cost.

Also, if you don’t have a newer-generation Nvidia card, turn off PhysX stuff.

Last Light looked absolutely gorgeous – right up there with Crysis 3 – while being even friendlier on my PC.

• vhscampos says:

What you described is SSAA, Supersampling Anti Aliasing. MSAA is way cheaper, but still not as lightweight as SMAA, though.

• Dominic White says:

Oops – either way, the default anti-aliasing the game uses is enormous. I’m pretty sure it’s supersampling, given that there’s a 0.5x option that renders the image at half pixel density, then scales up to your native res.

Still, use SweetFX’s SMAA for a barely-degraded image and a huge performance boost.

• Razgovory says:

Yes, a thousand times yes. The optimization was terrible. That was by far the weakest part of the game. You know there was another Ukrainian game called Cryostasis that had the same problem. I never finished it because of how poorly it ran.

• iniudan says:

Actually it soon to be a Maltese studio run by Ukrainian, for well known reason.

• Mman says:

Yeah, transferring the giant optimisation improvements of Last Light to the original Metro 2033 will be one of the best parts of this re-release.

2. shotgunwizard says:

This only sparks the desire for a STALKER remaster.

• gnodab says:

there can never be enough STALKER.

• TheRealHankHill says:

Lost Alpha!

• green frog says:

There already is one, it’s called STALKER Complete, and it’s free. Yes, it’s a mod, but what difference does that make? It’s good.

3. Shodex says:

I assume this won’t be a free upgrade for Metro 2033 owners? I bought it on Steam when it was still fairly new and for whatever reason never actually played it despite wanting to.

• Rich says:

That’s what I’m wondering. I’m not saying at has to be free, but a 75%+ discount would be a nice gesture.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Nope. It’s already up on Steam. 50% off if you own them already. So only £8.50 for each, or £17.00 for both, if you already own them.

link to store.steampowered.com

link to store.steampowered.com

I think I’ll be giving it a miss.

• Rich says:

Oh well, I can live without it for a while.
        I guess not everyone can be as nice as CD Projekt.

• CaidKean says:

Nice? The reason CD Projekt was able to be ‘nice’ with for example The Witcher: Enhanced Edition was that they secured a 1 million USD investment to finance it. Perhaps 4A Games were unable to secure such an investment and instead had to rely on actually selling the port to a new engine and in the case of 2033 Redux new assets and new gameplay features as well as redesigned maps.

Not bashing on CD Projekt, just making sure people understand that the reason they were able to do all the changes they did to TW via TW:EE was still with money coming from somewhere, they were fortunate enough not to have to get it via the consumers directly.

I guess one could criticize Deep Silver and argue that it would have been a nice customer gesture with an extra discount for people who own both titles, with 75% off in that case.

• Ich Will says:

It’s still pretty nice to be fair, I imagine most other gaming companies would have charged regardless.

But you’re absolutely correct, you can’t say that a games company putting in such work into an already released game, way above and beyond patches and maintenance is not nice because they charge for it.

• iniudan says:

Actually 4A studio have quite a bit of expense incoming as they relocate their HQ and some of their personnel to Malta.

• CaidKean says:

@Ich Will

Yeah, I did not mean to degrade CD Projekt RED’s support of their titles which honestly is very consumer friendly, I just wanted to pointed out that the manhours that go into large-scale re-toolings of games still have to be funded, salaries have to be paid and more. I am sure that if CD Projekt RED hadn’t been able to secure the 1 million USD investment, they would probably have been forced to either not work more on the title or charge for the upgrade.

• Gap Gen says:

Yeah, I doubt I’ll get £8.50 worth out of some extra pretties and a new game mode.

• The Random One says:

I’ll give it a miss as well. I’ve bought it twice and haven’t played it once anyway.

• Moraven says:

Seems your miss means you will buy the Redux and not play them anyway!

• frightlever says:

Like the Deus Ex Director’s Cut, which I bought at the discount, albeit grudgingly.

4. LTK says:

Um, hold on a minute, do existing owners pay for these as well? I can’t imagine many people doing that, I only just got Last Light and I was satisfied enough with both games that I don’t really have the itch to play them when they’re just a bit prettier.

5. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I hope the new Last Light gets a decently implemented Ranger mode, as in you’re not simply stripped of your UI and left without any replacement at all, but instead you’re allowed to peek at your magazine or your chest to check how many daggers, magazines, masks and stuff you have left.

As it stands now, ranger mode lets you know far less about how you’re doing than real life itself. Basically, immersion got pushed so far that it’s full circle back at “not immersive”.

Oh, and obviously, i own both 2033 and LL+season pass, both on day one i might add, so i would really hope for some huge discount.

• Xeros612 says:

Not to mention the fact that they left in the awful QTEs, which leave you wondering if it’s a QTE or a cutscene (and hopefully determining correctly before you die) if you’re rolling Ranger mode on your first playthrough!

6. SkittleDiddler says:

No free upgrade for current owners? They can go toss off in a corner then.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I got Metro 2033 for free when THQ gave it away, some time before they closed shop, but I haven’t played it yet. I just got The Witcher 2 for 4 euros on Steam today and that’s it for me for a long time. While my backlog won’t last me till 2033, nor contains 2033 games, I’ll hold off on getting the redux version at least until I’ve played the non-redux version a good while.

7. DanMan says:

Not having played any of them, I welcome these GOTY editions.

8. Lemming says:

Will this also be anything to do with the touted Linux version that was supposed to be something to do with SteamOS?

9. buzzmong says:

I might be tempted to buy the LL remaster if it’ll let me turn off the hit markers. It’s a small feature but it really annoys me and actually put me off the game. Still installed, but I’ve not yet gone back to it.
    A shame as I really enjoyed 2033.

10. Mittens89 says:

I dont think my trusty old Q6600, coupled with a 7850 2GB and 8GB RAM will run this very well.

Ill buy them anyway, and complain later. i didn’t buy either first time round, now I simply cant say no.

11. w0bbl3r says:

Turning metro 2033 into the user friendly, piss easy game that was last light doesn’t sound like good news to me, no matter how nice they make it look.
    And considering both games look incredible already, a graphical upgrade is just not needed in any way.
    What they should have done is left 2033 alone and turned last light into the much more challenging experience to match it.
    Both games are now going to be very simple arcade shooters with the easiest stealth system in the world, instead of just last light being like that

• TheRealHankHill says:

But that isn’t what they are doing.. at all. They give you the OPTION to play in either Ranger (original balls hard metro 2033 style) or Spartan (the easier more rambo last light style) on BOTH games. They aren’t forcing you into anything here. Plus it’s an entire rebuild of 2033 in the LL engine and GOD knows 2033 fuckin needed it.

• TheRealHankHill says:

12. Nibblet says:

As an ardent proponent of the “no quicksave, no care” school of philosophy i have been ignoring these games while cautiously hoping for a patch or mod to implement a proper save system.
    Since there is no specific mention of the save system i am guessing it is safe to ignore the re-release as well.

13. logizomechanophobe says:

Hoping that the subtitles at least, for all dialogue (both for story critical dialogue and flavor/sidestory dialogue), get a proper localization to English. I enjoy hearing the Russian, but being as I can’t understand it I’d like to be reading a proper translation–nay, the properest of translations!

14. velocerator says:

Maybe the new version of Last Light will actually run on my computer. The original version runs on my 8 year old computer well enough, but my 6 month old (roughly $2k USD) computer can’t run it. It lags out and eventually becomes entirely unplayable.

I know comparing games isn’t worth a whole lot since they’re all made so differently, but just as a little extra information I can run BF4 maxed out with zero problems, there’s no reason Last Light should run so poorly on my system.

• TheRealHankHill says:

You’ll come to find just b/c you have good hardware doesn’t mean it’s gonna run well. Look at Lost Alpha/ Every stalker game ever made.

15. Mr. Mister says:

I hope they remove the stupidly overgifteous DLC weapon spawns and only let you get them in shops, and also re-balance them.

16. Jason Moyer says:

I’d be ok with having both of these games remastered/updated/whatever if it meant they spent more than an hour optimizing their crappy renderer.

17. Wowbagger says:

I loved both these games, If they’re going to revamp the playstyle of 2033 to that of Last Light i’m definitely going to rebuy.

18. deadfolk says:

Nuts! And here I was feeling all pleased with myself for finally finishing 2033 TWO DAYS AGO!

Dammit.

Now, if these were to get released DRM-free on GOG, I might bite…

19. Shooop says:

Eh, the game looked and performed fine for me. The reason I didn’t play it more was because it was so insanely linear I couldn’t be bothered.

20. Sacarathe says:

I have owned M2033 since 2011 and it still doesnt work on my i7 NV670gtx W7 system and they expect me to pay again!?