Maybe You Should Watch This Mighty No. 9 Progress Trailer

Hey it's MegaM-- Sorry I mean Astro B-- Sorry I mean Mighty No. 9.

Every game series you never played will return to taunt you. I have no experience of Keiji Inafune’s Mega Man, but its Kickstarter-funded spiritual successor Mighty No. 9 is too big, and too full of heroically upbeat platforming music, to ignore. There’s a trailer below showing the project’s healthy development progress.

When the game hit Kickstarter in September last year, it quadrupled its $900,000 funding target to rake in $3.8 million. That’s in part because the game’s character and mechanics are designed to evoke memories of the Mega Man series, and in part because the development team is formed of not just Inafune but by level designers, musicians and art directors from the original series.

The names mean nothing to me, though. Kickstart a spiritual successor to Zool and then we’ll talk. I mean, I still won’t back it, but I’l have some frame of reference.

When I asked in the RPS forbidden chatroom of mystery (v2) whether anyone had any experience with Mega Man, Alice responded with this, which I think is fair. Maybe they’re far enough away from the apex of their popularity that it’s OK for me to start liking them again. Valuable information.

1. Lemming says:

I think the appropriate response to ‘What is Megaman?” Is all said in this:

Let the SNES era graphics and awesome tunes wash over you, and then get yourself a SNES emulator and play the X series.

The originals are purists only, but the X series says everything about Megaman you need to know, and it only went to shit afterwards. Inafune’s swansong with Capcom!

Rule of thumb for the future Graham, is if Smooth McGroove has covered the music, you should probably play it.

• BTAxis says:

I dunno, the first X game was great, the next two were merely o-kay, the three after that were middling, and X7 was terrible. I liked X8 though, as well as the Zero series.

• Philomelle says:

The first rule of Mega Man X fandom is that nobody talks about Mega Man X7. We like to pretend that it’s like Leisure Suit Larry 4. It never happened and the franchise magically hopped from X6 to X8.

• Lemming says:

I’m terribly sorry, I don’t really understand. The SNES MMX games were the only ones. The only ones.

• Dreforian says:

Not a single mention of Mega Man Legends (or 64) or for the X fans, Command Mission! Very different formats from the classic \ X series but perhaps my favorites because of it. I’ve only played X5 and X6 recently so maybe I’m missing something fantastic in the earlier games?

• Lemming says:

The first three form their own self-contained trilogy if I remember, so it’s easy to ignore the others, to be honest. That and they were all the same style and platform.

I highly recommend Zsnes and using the graphics filters therein, if you’re planning on playing them on PC.

• deadly.by.design says:

MMX was good, but otherwise, I preferred the 8-bit games.

• jodi says:

This video talks about the fantastic level design in Mega Man Classic and Mega Man X:

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

MegaMan X looks quite a bit better than the video for the Kickstarter.

• Wedge says:

Unfortunately yes. There’s some serious lack of aesthetic design going on here. It looks like it plays fine, but they don’t seem to have any understanding where to go with artistic direction in 3d here. It looks generic and unremarkable in every way possible.

• MadTinkerer says:

Why would anyone ask what Megaman is? Surely everyone here has played the DOS version? It’s like asking who Mario is, because you’ve never played Mario is Missing.

And you call yourselves PC gamers.

• MkMax says:

X1-X3 (snes, 1 and 3 were released for pc) are freaking fantastic, X4-X6 (playstation, 4 was released for pc) are great, i love the music in those 6 specially, X7+ bring only tears ……. damnit now i need to play them again,

• huldu says:

I prefer the original(nes) ones over the newer snes versions. Maybe that was because I actually played the original ones as a kid when they were released. It’s hard to recapture the moments of the original games if you played them when they were fresh. I’m not saying the x games were bad, but they were quite a mixed bag.

• Lemming says:

I played the originals as well as a kid, I still prefer the SNES X games, and the SNES era overall.

2. Chaz says:

They were overrated. That’s about all you need to know.

3. rustybroomhandle says:

Graham – in order to back a spiritual successor to Zool you don’t need to give money to a Kickstarter, you just need to eat unholy amounts of Chupa Chups.

• AngusPrune says:

I wonder if Quavers would sponsor a spiritual successor to Pushover. Now that’s what I call adver-tainment.

• Memph says:

Yes! Loved Pushover. One of the many, many Amiga classics with corkingly catchy music.

• disconnect says:

One of the original devs has released an iOS version, but with “none of the product placement of the 1990’s release” :(

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, Pushover was good.

Probably largely because the actual game had bugger-all to do with the crisps it was advertising beyond the intro sequence.

4. GameQB11 says:

wouldve looked 10x better with 2-d art like in the concept work.

It looks rather generic now.

• dE says:

I thought it looked a lot like A.R.E.S. actually. Probably to be expected, similar subject matter and such. But still.

• The Random One says:

Yeah, I hate to be such a megahipster, but the 3D graphics look pretty drab.

• pepperfez says:

Just what kind of megahipster are you? All the [i]real[/i] megahipsters know “drab 3d” is the new “low-res pixels”.

5. Rapzid says:

The animation and art direction looks a bit off. I’m a backer, hope it turns out well.

AND, are you guys going to report on the Uplay issues?! It’s three days post Watch Dogs launch and I can’t log into Uplay right now. I don’t even own Watch Dogs, but I can’t launch Trials HD or Fusion :|

6. Keyrock says:

Looks pretty good for a game still a year away.

7. PoulWrist says:

Megaman … so good those games were/are.

8. DrollRemark says:

Mega Man 9 and 10 never got PC releases did they?

God, 9 was so good.

9. mikmanner says:

not sure I’m a fan of 3D rendered platformers like in New Super Mario Bros or whatever it was called. Rayman Legends does the 2d / 3d blend perfectly

• Deinonychus says:

Yeah there is something that just doesn’t seem right about 2D platformers with 3D graphics. That style has been bothering me since Pandemonium on the PSX.

10. MadTinkerer says:

“Kickstart a spiritual successor to Zool and then we’ll talk.”

Actually, anyone can make their own Zool. Actual Zool. It’s one of the tutorials in The Game Maker’s Companion, with original Zool assets and everything. I’m surprised that no one has proposed a Game Jam for it yet.

11. Synesthesia says:

man, those combo counters sure are obtrusive.

• MkMax says:

this +1,

and im not entirely sure what they are counting, also why can you pick up dead enemies ? their “souls” add to the screen clutter

• Nest says:

Really hope that they can be disabled in the options. Giant numbers popping up everywhere are a deal breaker for me at this point.

12. InternetBatman says:

If anyone’s interested in the other big kickstarters I did a big post on them a while back on the forums. I try to keep track every six months or so.
    link to rockpapershotgun.com

13. Tukuturi says:

Megaman Soccer was the greatest soccer simulation of all time.

14. Deinonychus says:

Oh look it’s Not-Mega Man and his game looks really bland.