Weird Weird West: Co-Op Monster-Slaying In Crytek’s Hunt

Bumping back in the night.

If that’s one thing I want, it’s world peace. But if there are two things I want, they’re world peace and happiness. Three things though, the three things are world peace, happiness, and a pair of cool cowboy boots. Like many living in The Big Smoke, I hear the call of the wild frontier, and now Crytek have answered with the announcement of Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age.

Set in a spooky version of late-1800s America, it’s a monster-hunting third-person monster-masher with four-player co-op. Think long guns, zombies, fancy hats, reptilemen, and great boots. It’s being made by Crytek USA, the studio founded with remnants of Darksiders developers Vigil Games.

My thoughts, and I imagine yours too, jumped straight to Left 4 Dead and there’s nowt wrong with that. Like those co-op monster-murdering sim, the level layouts and enemy placement have a touch of procedural generation to add a little uncertainty. Unlike them, though, it’ll have ways to customise characters and weapons. Which will probably where the monetisation comes in.

Crytek say Hunt will be part of their “Games-as-a-Service range,” joining fairytale MOBA Arena of Fate. I’m pretty sure that’s their own jargon for trying to distance themselves from the not-wholly-positive connotations of ‘free-to-play.’

As with so many free-to-play games, the idea sounds interesting but we’ll need to see how aggressively they try to hoist us up in the air and shake pennies out our pockets. If the game’s fun and enough friends take to it, I’d be perfectly happy paying for cosmetic-only hats and cowboy boots (cool hats, of course, being the fourth thing I want).

Beta signups are open on the official site, and here’s a cinematic announcement trailer. More details are, of course, promised for E3 next week.

From this site

1. MeestaNob says:

I’ll be honest, when I read ‘games as a service’ the pessimist in me says “guess I’m installing yet another gaming e-shop program”.

This will cheer us all up: link to youtube.com, the first paragraph reminded me of it.

2. 2late2die says:

I pretty much tune out when I see zombies or undead in trailers. It’s really getting extremely tired and it saddens me to see so many developers unable to come up with anything original. I mean look at the guys doing Evolve – now that’s a bunch of folks that sat down and decided to actually innovate in the genre. These here, they just looked at the market and saw that 4-person co-op are getting popular and zombies, well apparently everybody just loves them zombies, and so they just threw the two together.

(and no, putting it in this late-1800s America ain’t enough)

But seriously, can we stop with the damned zombies! Mad robots, crazy clowns, fish with lasers riding on freaking cats – just anything but zombies!

• phelix says:

I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin’ laser beams attached to their heads!

• DanMan says:

Unfortunately they’re an endangered species, so we got you ill-tempered, mutated sea bass instead. Will that do?

• The Random One says:

The forms clearly stated the only acceptable replacements were manta rays with death rays. You’ll be hearing from our lawyers. Evil lawyers.

• TimorousBeastie says:

At least if nothing else it appears to be the down-to-earth risen by magic zombies rather than the infected with an unknown disease zombies.

• Philomelle says:

My assumption these days is that zombies in the trailer are a shorthand for “Our entire AI programming team took a vacation during this project, so we had to make do with enemies that can only grab, bite, run and shamble.”

• Dances to Podcasts says:

As one of the biggest complainers about zombies around here… the setting already puts this above 90% of those games and I’m actually kind of interested!

3. mtomto says:

I read great boobs… kinda disappointed.

4. SkittleDiddler says:

E3: “We don’t want none o’ yur fancy-pants gameplay trailers round here!”

5. BobbyDylan says:

Free to pay?

No thanks, this cancer needs to die.

6. ran93r says:

The setting sounds interesting to me. It “does” sound like Left 4 Dead which I didn’t play a great deal of, perhaps that’s why I’m not so sick of zombie co-op as everyone else seems to be but I lost interest in TF2 when it went Hat2Play and I’m not sure I want to get involved in something like that again.

Will keep a cautious eye on this.

7. Moraven says:

So… a 2014 World of Darkness like Hunter The Reckoning. 3rd person 4 player co-op monster slaying hack and slash.

So we got World of Tanks style, Warframe style, MOBAs. Wonder what genre will be next to be over made into F2P games.

8. wilynumber13 says:

Aww, from the headline I thought this might be a Western dev’s attempt at a Monster Hunter style game rather than just another me-too Left 4 Dead game.

• Philomelle says:

My thoughts exactly. When I saw the game’s title and the first paragraph, I was hopeful for a Monster Hunter-style game set in the wild west.

But as this is just another “lawl co-op vs. zombie horde” game, color me not interested.

9. Distec says:

Please cut the zombie shit.

10. Jehar says:

Weird west is a grossly under-represented subgenre, and it’s one that even makes zombies excusable in my book. Hopefully in this case it’s less “untested bioweapon gets loose” and more “local witch doctor is on a rampage”, which is infinitely more cool.

I mean, where the hell are the licensed titles for Deadlands? Where’s Blood 2: Actually Blood, dammit?

• Palindrome says:

Deadlands would be very cool indeed. As for this there looks to be far too many monsters.

I was hoping to have to actually hunt monsters rather than having to fend of hordes of minions and then doubtless fight a boss. A large map, 1 or maybe 2 powerful but elusive beasties and a handful of clues leading to its lair; that would be an interesting game. A F2P Left 4 Dead/Killing Floor clone isn’t something that I have any interest in.

11. anon459 says:

The title said “monster-slaying” and I was interested. Then I watched the trailer and realized it was zombies and immediately lost all interest.

12. Faxmachinen says:

About the hardware survey, do 8-core CPUs for desktop PCs even exist? As far as I can tell, the Haswell-E isn’t due before Q3.

13. sianma41 says:

Was interested until free-to-play. That instantly tells you that in some way the game will be compromised.

14. Nenjin says:

Being F2P I’ll at least give it a look. And by look I mean, not instantly dismiss it based on its somewhat cliche trailer.

Hopefully there’s more Deadlands and Weird West in it than just zombies.

15. Mrice says:

“Games as a service”

*Blowjob motion*

Fuck off. Just fuck right off. You cant double-speak this shit into not being slimy business. People are not that stupid.

16. racccoon says:

Looks are not everything, but only game play will tell what it really can do.
    I hope it works, as it only currently looks ok.

17. Siimon says:

Am I the only one who really dislikes 3rd person games? Most of them, sadly, are near unplayable to me.

18. atticon40 says:

game looks interesting, hoping to hear more information on it with E3 coming up. I’m assuming they will show it off there right?

WTB more info! HUNT