Ships Don’t Lie: Battle Fleet 2

I’ve spent far too many weeks of my life moving armies around maps and spaceships around galaxies. Give me a turn-based game full of tanks, planes, infantry, monsters or gods, and I’ll most likely spend a couple of hours poking at their stats before I even start playing. If there’s one obvious weak point in my steely strategic hull it’s in the naval area. It’s not that my bellybutton is my Achille’s Heel, that would be ridiculous, but I do have a blindspot when it comes to sea-based warfare. My knowledge of Silent Hunter* is as shallow as a puddle on a Miami sidewalk and my knowledge of ship classes comes from Battleship. Milton Bradley’s Battleship. Perhaps the upcoming Battle Fleet 2 will tempt me into the water? Trailer below.

Yeah, the slab of coast near the end there looks like a big piece of dirty soap but that doesn’t bother me. It’s not the most attractive game, sure, but looks aren’t everything. Here’s a list o’ features:

Turn based fleet gameplay
Aim and fire each ship’s entire complement of weaponry, including torpedoes and high explosive 14” guns
3D models of WW2 era ships from US and Japanese factions
Ship customization and weapon layout
Single player US campaign
Hotseat and online multiplayer
Strategic Commands including airstrikes, minefields, sabotage and more
Fog of war with line of sight hidden by islands
Island defenses and airfields

The Greenlight page also mentions a random skirmish mode. I like that I can watch the video and understand what I’ll be doing. Positioning ships, calculating angles of attack and trying to stay out of the killzone of huge weapons. Reckon I could get on board with this, but which naval strategy games should I be playing? Fill in the blindspot for me. Fill it with flotsam and seamen.

Battle Fleet 2 is coming to portable devices as well as PC and Mac, and it’s due sometime this summer. Someone will have to email me and tell me when summer arrives because there’s no evidence of it here yet at all, unless the two days of sunshine last week were the sum total of it. Is it autumn now? I don’t know anymore.

*I wrote Silent Scope and had to correct myself. This tells you everything you need to know about my knowledge of maritime law.

From this site

1. amateurviking says:

I’ve always enjoyed a bit of naval gazing.

And low hanging fruit: delicious.

2. Cokesakto says:

Oh man, it’s like they made a game JUST FOR ME. And I hear about this just in time for the Battle of Midway anniversary tomorrow too!

• capitalj says:

Thanks, glad to see other people out there that are looking for new naval strategy games!

3. rustybroomhandle says:

You know what else has ships? Wargame: Red Dragon – a game that RPS is too chicken to play. Yup, I went there. Chicken. Bwaaaak.

• Cokesakto says:

I know right? It’s the best RTS I’ve played since the original WARGAME: EE (didn’t play ALB), and the ship play there is simple but so satisfying, especially in concert with the AShM-plane vs. air superiority planes that inevitably goes on.

• Adam Smith says:

I’ve been known to lay an egg or two.

I really should play Red Dragon. Another blindspot!

• JB says:

I’ve heard that Red Dragon is amazing. But no multiplayer campaign. And that’s pretty much the only way I play the Wargame games these days. W:ALB is amazing in co-op. Makes me sad that I won’t be playing W:RD with my good buddy.

4. Gap Gen says:

I keep thinking Bradley Cooper is a type of American IFV.

5. Cokesakto says:

I will so do multiplayer of this with people. Though for how long until modders custom skin their ships to KanColle, I don’t know. It’s only a matter of time.

Note: If you don’t know about KanColle and how it relates to ships, count your blessings.

• amateurviking says:

I LOOKED IT UP.

• Alphus says:

Thought process crash log:
      22.55 – Hmmm a game about boats lets look at this.
      23.02 – So its a game about commanding a force of WWII era boats, why does that sound familiar
      23.03 – Running recent memory search, keywords: videogame, WWII, navy, battleships

search complete: 1 major memory set found
      23.03 – //This seems about right, a Japanese game about commanding WWII boats.
      -Bring memory 1279342a to fore
      -ERROR, null though pointer
      -//Strange the memories are missing
      -Running recollection(1279342a)

Complete
      -Open memory 1279342a
      //Wait what is this?
      //Oh, oh. Dear god what is this!?
      //Why WHY!
      //Wait, whats this link to?
      -Accessing memory base: sexyThoughts/internet/rule34/KanColle
      //DEAR GOD!
      -Kill process: ALL

-A critical error has occured, shutting down

End log

6. Baines says:

With all the Greenlight and Early Access shenanigans that have gone on in the last year or so, I’ve less and less faith on any such titles anymore. (The most recent case being the developer of Ghostship Aftermath flipping out and refusing to honor promises to giving out free keys to Groupees bundle buyers who helped vote his game through Greenlight.)

7. Cinek says:

Turn based? Really? Oh damn it :/

8. Richard Burton says:

Thanks for filling us in with your flotsam and seamen, Adam! Funny, I was only just thinking last week that we could really do w/ a decent naval WWII Pacific strategy game (other than the hugely fun Battlestations: Pacific), that is after reinstalling Pacific Storm Allies w/ the Samurai Spirit mod after about a years hiatus of playing, and then attempting to play it on the new PC I built recently… wow what a let down… it was such a brilliant game (when it didn’t CTD) but w/ the new hardware now it just plays way too fast it’s all but unplayable! Maybe there’s some utility we could use to slow it down a bit but it’s all too much hassle really. So we’ll be keeping our eyes on this one for sure, cheers!

• drinniol says:

Is it really that hard to type ‘with’? :P

• Richard Burton says:

Actually it’s harder for me to type ‘w/’ but of course, I need to do it to annoy you. ;)

• scharmers says:

Odd, neither Battlestations nor Pacific Storm: Allies aren’t really what one can call decent naval WWII Pacific “strategy” games.

Maybe something in the lines of Storm of the Pacific, or even War Plan Pacific, perhaps.

I just wish that a dev would do something like one of the ridiculous Koei “Warship Gunner” games on the PC.

9. capitalj says:

Hi guys, I’m the designer of BF2. Let me know if you guys have any questions about the game or feedback.
    -JJ

• Cokesakto says:

If the main method of engagement is determining the angle and power of main guns, how does the game deal with plane attacks (and for that matter, the defense against them), or torpedo attacks? I am assuming there is some kind of turn time before a torpedo attack hits, or a plane attack reaches their target/returns to carrier.

How much is movement affected by external factors (i.e., waves, bad weather, etc.). I’m not really looking for an all out simulation, but it’d be nice if you could provide some detail on this.

• capitalj says:

Yes, aiming the guns is the primary way to attack. There are aircraft that can be launched from carriers, airfields or through something called Strategic Command Cards that can be picked up during a battle. To defend against an airstrike you can put your own carrier-based planes on air defense missions and equip your ships with AA guns (instead of offensive turrets). This leads to having to balance a fleet with offensive and defensive tactics. Torpedoes are short range weapons, but are powerful and hit anything in their path. There is no defense except to keep your distance :) Torpedoes and airstrikes happen as soon as you order them, but you cannot re-use aircraft until they have returned to the carrier (which takes 2 turns). Some weapons also have different firing rates, so smaller guns can be fired multiple times per turn and big guns take a turn to reload.

Movement is not affected by external factors at this point, but that is an interesting thought. I probably won’t be able to squeeze it into the initial release but I’ll look into adding some more details and depth for a future update :)

10. capitalj says:

FYI, Battle Fleet 2 is now available for Windows, Mac, iPad, Android tablet. Get the links at: link to battlefleetgame.com