The Fallout Doctrine: Sheltered

It’s easy to forget what reality is and how to breathe and why basic human values matter during E3 week. It’s also easy to forget that there are other things going on in gaming’s humongous land. Inventive projects on Kickstarter, for instance. A post-apocalyptic survival game that’s genuinely about survival, rather than shooting giant mutant scorpions or speaking like a cowboy, for example. One where you’re trying to keep your family alive while stuck in a fallout shelter, for example. Sheltered, for example.

The Castle Doctrine, DayZ and Project Zomboid spring to mind at first glance, as we’re juggling extreme paranoia (who’s out there, are they friend or foe, how dangerous are they?) and everyday survival (illness, radiation, hunger, power) while struggling to protect those you care about. It’s a strategy game, which I’m ever so faintly disappointed to hear contains combat and ‘irradiated beasts’, as I’d love to just focus on not getting my family killed by the environment, but hey, games.

Reassuringly (presuming you don’t fancy a mass killing spree for once), there’s this claim: “the best thing a player can do is avoid combat at all costs. Traumatic experiences in violent situations will have a tremendous toll on the family environment and how every member functions.” Essentially you’ll be taking your kids into combat situations too, and sounds as though that’s going to have serious consequences.

Wonderfully, it’s also going to feature a Supermarket Sweep mode at the start of a new game, wherein you grab as many supplies as you can before the bombs drop.

Wasteland survival sim with a focus on family, rather than gun-toting questy adventure: sounds good to me. Here’s the pitch video:

I like the bit where the man’s interviewed while sitting in front of a sink. Aping a fallout shelter aesthetic, or just a student? Is there any difference?

It’s after £15k and has £3 in the bank already, so very much achievable, I’d say. Pledge here if you’re interested.

1. guygodbois00 says:

All can think of right now is Blast from the Past.

2. Masterpwny says:

Backed. Only my second kickstarter pledge, but this one looks good.

3. altum videtur says:

Hm.
    So a bit like Malevil, then.
    I wonder how people would react to playing as a pedophiliac main character though. Or massacring a dozen starved-mad refugees because you don’t have enough food to share. Or realising that through all their attempts to remain decent human beings they’ve becomes warlords.

Anyways. Looks interesting, will probably keep an eye on it. Of several dozen. I really should get that checked

• frightlever says:

A librarian recommended that book to me when I got my first “adult” library card. That and Earth Abides. I re-read Earth Abides every few years but I really ought to re-read Malevil, if I can find a copy. I remember the refugee massacre, but not so much the paedophilia. Hmm. (went to TVtropes – madness – and NOW I remember.)

What I’m wracking my brain about is why he recommended those two post-disaster novels. That was very much my thing at the time but I must have borrowed something to prompt him. Hey, it was the early 80s and we still thought nuclear Armageddon was just around the corner.

4. Nice Save says:

I sent them a question about the gameflow and the method of control over the characters, and got this response:

Unicube says:

Hello! It’s turn based in regards to combat, but otherwise it’s in real time. You don’t control the characters directly, but the environment around them. You make decisions for them (opening doors etc).

Thanks for the question!

• hotmaildidntwork says:

Now counting down to the inenvitably glorious forum threads where someone role plays a malevolent/malfunctioning AI.

5. NotToBeLiked says:

Seems very interesting, more of a management game then anything else even. It’s only 4 pounds to get the game, but for something they claim they’ve already invested hundreds of hours in they sure do not show a lot of actual game content.
    If it turns out to be good, I’ll most likely get it, but it seems a bit dodgy at the moment…

6. WinTurkey says:

What the hell, those look nothing like baby badgers.

JimmyJamNYC says:

This looks like something I can lose a few dozen hours in. Backed.

8. regged13 says:

link to steam-cards.com

Please click this link :)

9. cerealbox says:

Even with that little bit I saw, I want this so bad. I did think it was going to be a 2-d version of fallout, though