Nude Skins Ahoy! Divinity Original Sin Editor Due This Week

This screenshot was named 'FANTASTIC WORLD TO EXPLORE.png' in the press kit.

Divinity: Original Sin may not be officially launching until next Monday but, as it’s been on Steam Early Access since January, fans will already have a fair idea of what they’d like more of in the RPG and what they’d like changed. They’ll get to make a start on that this week, as developers Larian today announced they’ll release the turn-based RPG’s editor this Thursday.

What do we think fans get their hands dirty with first? Nude skins? Rebalancing? Jokes we still enjoy but feel nervous cracking because they might be wearing thin? Larian have beat everyone to the punch with that last one, as the sample mod they’re including with the editor is Cow Simulator 2014.

Here’s the official feature list for the Divinity Engine Toolkit, which is its official name. We do things by the book at Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

• Make new adventures that you can play in singleplayer or multiplayer
  • You can modify the main campaign or create your own
  • Manipulate terrain and edit existing models and textures
  • Write your own stories and dialogs
  • Create behaviors and scripts with easy-to-use scripting language
  • Alter existing or add new skills, stats and spells
  • 1-click export to Steam Workshop
  • Add and manage your mods via Steam Workshop or inside the game

You know, it does mod stuff. That’s pretty much everything one needs to create their own RPG campaign. Steam Workshop support for browsing and downloading mods is always welcome too. Say, you out in Rockpaperland who’ve been playing Original Sin, what sort of mod would you fancy?

As for Cow Simulator, Larian say it “permits users to play as a cow (even in co-op with up to 4 players) and complete a quest or fight in the arena.” I suppose cows are nude too.

Here’s a look at the editor in a recent developer livestream:

1. pakoito says:

Most of the cRPG community has its hopes put into this game to succeed, maybe not at mainstream level but to be up there with the top of the genre with the Golden Box, Infinity Engine games, Knights of the Chalice, FO1/2 and ToEE.

Combat is right, freedom is right, online coop right out of the box, storywise nothing groundbreaking is expected and full modern mod tools.

My only concern is a recent quote by Swen stating that AI personalities for single player and companions may not be there day 1. But again, this game is thought for the long run.

Also, release trailer Alice missed: link to youtu.be

• povu says:

Here’s hoping the game is a big succes and gets a passionate modding community.

2. derbefrier says:

I will probably end up buying this before the steam sale is over. I bought the dragon age origins pack just cause I have been itching for a good rpg and haven’t played it since it came out( and on a console no less) so its been pretty fun but I still want something new and this is looking pretty tempting and workshop and mod support just sealed the deal.

• TheIronSky says:

As someone who has spent nearly 100 hours in the early access version, I can confirm that it is truly something spectacular.

• bstard says:

It’s also very confusing and buggy, but it has great potential for sure.

3. Darth Gangrel says:

I can’t wait to add it to my long list of games I won’t be playing for a long time, because I’m struggling to decrease my backlog. As odd as it sounds, when I see a game in Early Access that I want to play, I instantly wish it would get a proper, feature complete release, but I also know that I won’t be playing it for at least a year, so it really doesn’t matter if it’s still in Early Access a year from now.

• Trisul says:

NP, release is 7 days away. I’m thinking this one deserves a bump in the backlog. FIFO?

4. Crazy Horse says:

See? There are games for cows.

5. Bobka says:

I’m a KS backer, but haven’t touched the game yet, since I want a fairly complete and stable experience. I’m really looking forward to diving in at launch, though. I hear there’s quite a bit of reactivity and player-driven story!

• RedViv says:

I played about an hour a few months back and then decided that, yes indeed, I should not be playing this any further because it already seemed so nice and I would inevitably be terribly disappointed once the playable content just runs out.

• welverin says:

There’s that, and I also didn’t want to start over whenever the build changed too much for saves to carry over, particularly at launch.

6. Vandelay says:

This does look rather grand. To those that have played some of the game in its early access phase, is this something that really needs to played co-op?

I wouldn’t normally be interested in playing this sort of thing multiplayer, but the way the conversation system works and decisions are made sounds as if it would add a lot to the experience. Doing this just by yourself would likely detract heavily from the experience. Unfortunately, I tried to persuade a friend to bite during the recent Steam discount, but he was uninterested (he claimed he had seen previews that weren’t so good, but as I have been unable to find anything negative about the game I expected he saw early access and wanted to run away – he loves games, but doesn’t read about them much, so probably had never heard of it. He can also be quite fussy about anything that he deems less than the greatest thing ever.)

As I doubt I have any other friends that would even consider playing something like this, I am likely to have to play it solo.

• Eggman says:

It doesn’t need to be played in coop. If you select an AI personality for the second main char, you’ll basically be having scripted party conversations like in PS:Torment, BG etc.

BTW playing as both main chars during conversations is better than it sounds.

• dahools says:

Well having bought this in the steam sale for 20 quid I can tell u it is scary on your own. I didnt realise you could give one of your 2 characters an AI. So at my very first confrontation with the two drunk guards I selected one option for the main character and the other for the side kick. This then proceeded into me having an argument with myself ( actually infront of my laptop in real life!) And ended up settling it by several rounds of rock paper shotgun. . . I mean scissors. This then lead to one option winning after several rounds and me nearly having a psycho bi-polar panic attack infront of me screen, as the two dissagreed and earned some sort of reputation/morality points in different directions.

At that point I turned it off as I needed a coffee and probably some councilling. I will try it again once I am home in a fortnight. Playing it in max low settings 720p was no way to enjoy it. Laptop is ancient it was more of a test to see if it ran tbh.

I would recommend assigning an AI to one of the characters or going co-op for sure. I dont think I could cope doing that husband wife thing at every encounter again. Trust me there is no fun hating and falling out with yourself it nearly blew my mind!

7. Danny says:

Everyone who loves the old Infinity engine RPG’s, but also Ultima VII and of course Larian’s own Divine Divinity should now grab their CC and buy this game. It’s not only the best RPG since many many years, but it also improves on the combat mechanics of those old games. Combat in Original Sin is truly great.

You can really see that a lot of resources had already been put into the game before it went live on Kickstarter, seeing that the game is not only huge, but also a treat for the eyes (no Unity, Larian is using their own engine).

• Detocroix says:

Unity can be a treat to your eyes as well as any other modern engine can… What Wasteland 2 devs went wrong with was to “communitize” the art creation. What they have is extremely low quality and inconsistent art assets that wouldn’t look good no matter what engine they put them in to… Stupid, very stupid, considering the 2.9 million they got on Kickstarter. 5ish good game artists would have been cheap compared to the total money and done… yeah, look at Divinity, something like that.

It’s not just Divinity’s art and engine though… they have a brilliant visual design and a person in lead who knows what they need. I don’t know where Wasteland 2 devs blew the money to, but I’m fairly sure that coders, level designers and artists didn’t see nearly any of that.

8. fdisk says:

This game is amazing and my GOTY so far. Anyone even remotely interested in tabletop RPGs needs to play this. Anyone who loved Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Fallout 1 & 2 and all those awesome classics needs to play this. Any one who loved XCOM or Final Fantasy Tactics…yup, needs to play this!

This right here is the ultimate RPG experience we’ve been promised over and over.

• caff says:

Nice to see so much positive praise for a new RPG release. I have high hopes for it when I jump in next week.

• PopeRatzo says:

I hope this game is all that now that it seems like Wasteland is going to be a waste, man.

• Bobka says:

What bad things have you heard about Wasteland? I honestly haven’t been following it very closely, I wouldn’t know.

• PopeRatzo says:

I’m probably mistaken. I seem to recall reading some disappointing opinions about Wasteland 2, which of course nobody’s allowed to pay attention to because it’s in “early access”.

Hey, I hope it’s fantastic. There’s precious little coming out right now that moves my needle dick. I’d love to have something good to sink 150 hours into. As usual, everything interesting seems to be scheduled for “Q4, 2014” which is developer-ese for “never”.

I’m trying to find the thing I read about Wasteland 2 and am having trouble. I might well have hallucinated the whole thing. My worry is the kickstarter thing. As people love to repeat, “Kickstarter is for games that otherwise wouldn’t exist” and that worries me because there may be good reasons they wouldn’t exist.

• HadToLogin says:

Fun fact: Divinity Original Sin also comes from Kickstarter :)

Read through some negative Wasteland 2 Steam reviews, most of them are old (and game did get updated in those few months, so their problems might be gone) and quite often “not worth $60 when in few months will be for $30”. Few are “expected different game”.

9. Gilead says:

Bought this on Steam when it was 20% off on the first sale day, on the basis that I was planning to buy it at full price on release day anyway. Really looking forward to playing around with the editor, too. I’ve always regretted not getting into Neverwinter Nights module creation before the community largely died; this has the potential to be similar.

10. MarkB says:

I got this at the start of the steam sale and it is just great. Since all beta saves will be deleted when the game releases I planned on just doing a quick test run to make sure the game worked with my laptop. I’m 10 hours into it now. I’ve been trying to quit so I don’t get even more invested in my file than I already am, but I keep going back to it.

I loved the murder mystery quest so much, the combat is also really great. The environment/weather manipulation stuff they advertise works really really well and is an integral part to how I fight.

I hope this does well even outside the standard RPG niche, because it is really good and I think it could have crossover potential due to how polished it is.

11. PopeRatzo says:

What do skins matter if you can barely see those little tiny people on the screen? And only the tops of their heads at that.

• Funso Banjo says:

Yeh, you didn’t watch the video, did you. Really shouldn’t criticize things if you can’t be bothered to take the time to actually watch the media put in front of you.

The view can be zoomed in fairly close, and it isn’t a top-down view, more of a roughly 35 degree view. Plenty of detail can be seen.

• PopeRatzo says:

Yeah, I’ve heard that before: “You can zoom in so that it looks just like a third person game!” Except when you actually play the game, it’s impossible to play zoomed in, so you end up with the screenshot in the article, with itty-bitty people running around.

And if I had time to watch videos, I wouldn’t come here to read articles. The dev diary or video preview or early access trailer or “feature trailer” are things I find impossibly boring. I want to see gameplay, and I don’t need…let’s see… ONE HOUR, NINETEEN MINUTES AND FORTY-THREE seconds to get that. I’d be happy with an animated gif and wouldn’t have to support Google in the process.

I know not being interested in “Let’s Play” videos makes me impossibly anachronistic, but seriously…

[Edit: I guess the official term for this one is a “developer livestream” which means “two people that I’d probably chase off my doorstep with a broom saying pithy things about a game that they haven’t finished, in boxes covering up parts of the game because they think someone wants to see their faces.”]

Carra says:

More and more looks like my $25 was well spent on this kickstarter project. Looks like a blast to play.

13. equatorian says:

Call me shallow, but I hope someone eventually makes alternate character models for the player characters. For the dude, at least. I plan to play him as a mage and while I’m okay with beefcakes in general, THAT degree of beefcakery is hilarious enough that it’s going to interfere with my immersion.

Yes, I backed with KS and I tried the beta, though I didn’t play very far to avoid spoilers. I plan to keep the majority of the experience to when it’s stable.

• VCepesh says:

Quite agree. I understand, where the over-exaggerated sexual dimorphism comes from – I also find it both immersion-breaking and quite distasteful. I also understand not having to time and resources to allocate to make a very in-depth character creator or even several bodytypes – but when creating only one, I would much prefer developers would go with the “average”.

• Slazer says:

You basically start as skilled fighter/mage/whatever so it makes sense that he looks like he can beat up regular guys easily.

If you don’t like it then you better put a robe on it.

Anyway, I guess we have the first Deadpool, Sonic giant tit girl models by thursday afternoon

14. UncleLou says:

As a backer who has dabbled with the alpha/beta at various stages, I completely share the enthusiasm in this thread. This is really fantastic. All that could go wrong now is that the game is either tiny (unlikely) or the balancing is completely off (doubt it).

I do hope that they improve the performance a bit though – my PC is reasonably good, but the game feels a little sluggish unless I dial the settings right down. Obviously it’s not a game where you need quick reflexes, but there is a delay before your characters start walking if you click, etc., which is a tad annoying. At lower settings, it’s silky smooth.

15. geldonyetich says:

I generally find nude skins a sign that there exists a large enough pool of players that a fairly unusual matchup on the Venn Diagram happened.

Pool number one is the small number of people whose libido became entangled in the objects in the game to the point where they feel they need to express it.
    Pool number two is the even smaller number of people who know enough about doing 3D skins to be able to create a nude skin.
    Pool number three is the number of people who can actually make time to do this.

Right in the middle of the Venn Diagram, where all three pools meet, is where the nude skins come from.

What I’m saying here is I’m not sure Divinity: Origin Sin has sufficient players for the pool to manifest so much as a single person in the middle of that diagram. Although, now that RPS has thrown down the gauntlet, it’s much more likely to be picked up than it originally was.