Speedrunners Without Borders: Summer Games Done Quick

Remember dying to jump to respawn points and save time on Citadel? Yeah, you should do that on the Von Braun too.

The Games Done Quick gang have launched another week-long festival of speedrunning, bringing top runners together to raise money for Médecins Sans Frontières. Some are impressive for playing the game flawlessly, perfectly timing every jump and shot, but my favourites are those which have felt around the underlying code and systems for weakness and exploits. They’ve probed for holes in the scripting, scratched at levels to expose glitches, and explored the weirdness of game physics, and runners explain these tricks while they play. That’s what fascinates me.

The livestreamed event started on Sunday and will run until Saturday, with a lineup of over 150 games including a System Shock 2 speedrun somehow aiming to finish it within 20 minutes. You can get some of the games they’re running cheap in a Humble Bundle too.

The schedule is dominated by console games, but plenty of PC games are coming up too. These include speedruns of Fallout 3, a 100% Nightmare difficulty run of Quake, Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne’s Sentinel campaign, Dustforce, Dishonored, Heretic, Ultimate Doom, Half-Life, Half-Life 2, a solo run of Portal 2’s co-op, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

For $25, the Summer Games Done Quick 2014 Bundle offers Dustforce, Gunpoint, Psychonauts, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, Guacamelee!, Giana Sisters: Rise of the Overworld, Bleed, Electronic Super Joy, Noitu Love 2 Devolution, and Edmund McMillen’s Basement Collection. (Not all of those are being run at SGDQ, by the way.) $25 is more than the Humble usual, but it’s a fair bundle and all of the money does go to Doctors Without Borders.

If you miss a game you fancy seeing, such as the BioShock 2 run this morning, it should appear in the Twitch archive. Here’s the live stream:

From this site

Top comments

1. Big_Jim says:

Thanks for pointing out the System Shock 2 speedrun! I'm a big fan of it, but I'm a bit biased since I have the best known time for the speedrun. I don't think this counts as self-advertising since I think some people might be interested in this, so here's the current fastest time and here's my stream page.
  1. int says:

100% Nightmare Quake run. Does that mean they need to find every secret, kill every enemy and pick up every single item?

2. BobbyDylan says:

Sees SS2 screenshot.
    Heat skips a beat.

• povu says:

Keep your ears open for the words ‘Shock Community Patch’. No idea how much longer it’s going to take, but it’s going to be nice. link to systemshock.org

I’m sure we’ll see the SS2 screenshot on RPS again at that point. Or a shinier one!

3. Spacewalk says:

) ) oohgamesoutthebum
    All these speed is giving me the runs.

4. Big_Jim says:

Thanks for pointing out the System Shock 2 speedrun! I’m a big fan of it, but I’m a bit biased since I have the best known time for the speedrun. I don’t think this counts as self-advertising since I think some people might be interested in this, so here’s the current fastest time and here’s my stream page.

5. Blackrook says:

Trying to work out which Citadel the picture refers to.
    It can’t be Superior Softwares 1985 game on BBC B can it as that’s the only one I remember :-)

6. willy359 says:

Wait, a Portal 2 solo co-op run? This is a thing that can be done? Or is the player going to bop back and forth between two computers?

• Acorino says:

You have to tune in to find out. ;)
      But it’s fair to assume that it can be done. I’m looking forward to it!

7. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

The alt text on the image makes me so happy. :D

8. Jalan says:

A post is made about Gunpoint switching engines, I mention it’ll soon trot Humble’s way and lo and behold…