See Games With Your Face At EGX London In September

They probably won't drape the place in Wolfenstein banners again this year. That'd be a bit weird. Once was questionable enough.

We tell you these video games are real, but what do you know? “Yeah, Alien: Isolation is so scary,” we tell you, while tittering behind our hands because we know there’s a rocket launcher by the lava pit in level three. “Oculus Rift yeah? It’s magic,” we say. It’s not. It’s a miniature head-mounted lunchbox made for people with bad memories who forget their sandwiches the second they’re out of sight. What do you know? You don’t know any better.

Your own eyes may learn some truths and uncover some lies in September at London’s Eurogamer Expo (or EGX London 2014, as it’s gone ‘cool’). The first part of its lineup is now announced, including the likes of Alien: Isolation, Evolve, Battlefield Hardline, and that handy Oculus Rift.

Hit the announcement for the not-full-but-as-full-as-it’ll-get-just-yet list. Also confirmed are the likes of Tom Francis’s Heat Signature, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Mike Bithell’s Volume, and local multiplayer murderfast Gang Beasts. The most exciting games for me, though, are the treasures I’ve never heard of before that will inevitably be in the indie Leftfield Collection. They always are.

The whole shindig’s in London between September 25 and 28. I assume many of your fellow RPS readers will convene in a pub around then, if you like pubs or people too.

In the interest of full disclosure, EGX London is of course organised by the same folks behind EGX Rezzed, Eurogamer owner Gamer Network. RPS has an affiliation with Rezzed which frankly I don’t understand as I had yet to merge with the Hivemind when it was arranged so I missed all the paperwork and everyone knows hive minds aren’t retroactive. We’re Media Partners, I believe is the technical term. Hark at us.

From this site

1. BobbyDylan says:

I’ve gone to EGX for the last 3 years, and it’s been fun. I tried out the Oculus Rift there last year, and had to have one ( My DK2 is coming soon, I hope).

I’m not sure if I’m going this year, though. The games I’m most interested in this year are crowd funded, so I already have access to play them when I want.

Now then, back to Elite.

2. bstard says:

Hehe this must be the most North Korean building outside the Supreme Leaders divine authority.

• Geebs says:

“Say what you like about the Nazis, they sure knew how to decorate a building”. Jeez, whose idea was that?

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Hehehehe I missed that the first time round :D Its quite clever in a really bad sort of way. OK its inappropriate as hell but… I did chuckle.

If they had made the logo black against a white circle, I think that would have been enough for global condemnation. This was about the limit I think.

• P.Funk says:

Everyone knows that if the Nazis had one redeeming quality it was their ability to turn any edifice into a modern Wagnerian marvel. They also dressed like slick bastards. Would evil Nazi officers have ever been as… evil looking if they hadn’t been dressed in their quintessential Teutonic swag?

Its perfect really, when you put the unassuming utilitarian Khaki dignity of a late war British officer and the slack jawed simple country boy swagger of the American officer next to the prim and utterly immaculate German SS officer you get a classic image of the war as seen through the lens of so many great 60s movies. Oh Lee Marvin, standing there like a cowboy holding your M3 Grease Gun. You sure showed those uptight Germans a thing or two about the dangers of drinking Schnapps in a Black Forest castle.

3. Mittens89 says:

I went to this last year, and it was absolutely packed. I barely got to play anything. I remember waiting to play Titanfall for 2 hours before giving up.

If you want to actually play games, go to Rezzed. If you want to watch others play games while you wait hours for your turn, go to this.

• bills6693 says:

At Rezzed this year, I didn’t actually play a huge amount – but I did get a go on Alien Isolation (and damn that was scary. And a bit difficult at places), and on quite a few indies I wanted to play. I even bought a game or two because of it (Dungeon of the Endless I bought as soon as I got home actually, and am NOT regretting that). Overall it was pretty fun even if it wasn’t the biggest thing.

• Mittens89 says:

Alien: Isolation was great fun. Nice set up too.

Another thing with Rezzed is the that you stand a far better chance of talking to various developers. I spent most of my time talking/listening to the devs than I did actually playing their games.

Also, There Shall Be Lancing was there, and that was my joint favourite game of the show (along with Alien).

4. sonofsanta says:

I thought there would be games with my face in. Once again, your headlines are full of lies and sadness :(

5. Steven Hutton says:

I won two free four day super-pass tickets to this a while back. I’m really looking forward to it!

EXCITED!

6. racccoon says:

Oculus Rift = So many people to take the piss out of it. So put on those sandwiches and make us laugh you dizzy ducks.