Roguey Is A Dancer: Crypt Of The Necrodancer

I’m exploring the disco dungeons of Crypt of the Necrodancer right now, though I’m saving words for a little closer to its Early Access release. I’ll say just this for now: you’re going to see photos of me using a dance mat, and for that you have my eternal pity. Dancemats (official Necrodancer variants of which are now for sale) are not the only way to play this rythym-action rogue like, but they are certainly the most tiring, sweat-inducing and inefficient. And therefore best. Gamepads and keyboards are an equally-supported system of duffing up skeletons and opening chests by moving your character’s feet to the beat though, fear not.

Here’s a new trailer that sells the tone and danceability of Brace Yourself Games’ dance dance dungeonering game rather well. Ooh, the things a well-timed screen-shake can do.

We’ve covered this game a few times over the last year, including getting the dev to tell us which songs he thought were most appropriate for it, and in just a few days we’ll all get to see whether a great on-paper shtick can sustain a whole game. Let’s see what moves it’s got:

If you like the look of that, it’s on Steam Early Access – and all the provisos such a status entails, of course – on July 30th, for PC, too-aloof-to-dance PC and too-shy-to-dance PC. Yes, offensive sweeping generalisations about operating system users’r’us. Look, stop moaning and go and have a dance, would you? Just dance. Dance. Just, j-j-just dance.

1. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

At last, the game that will weed those who clap on the wrong beat from the gene pool.

2. Casimir's Blake says:

I’ve been watching Baertaffy’s most enjoyable coverage of this game.

Predictably, the dubstep tracks should be jettisoned unceremoniously into the sun. Otherwise, this is a brilliant game with a great soundtrack and I’m ready to buy the hell out of it.

If you can’t keep to the rhythm, don’t bother!

3. DanceComm says:

trailers looking much better than before another one on my list for sure.

4. GernauMorat says:

Best title

5. TonyB says:

I want this so badly. It’s the first time I’ve been tempted to break my “wait for it to be finished properly” rule.

6. Crafter says:

I have been playing CotN a couple of times a week for a couple of months.
    It is fairly hard but also very addictive. I always find the time to try to unlock a couple more relics or try to finish one more world. The difficulty does ramp up though, and the 3rd world (out of 4) is already a bit too tough for me.
    The random items & levels always get me back though.

SuddenSight says:

Out of interest – to what extent would you say the wins/losses come down to player skill, as opposed to random chance? (To be clear, there is no wrong answer – I like both high-skill games like Nuclear Throne and high-luck games like Dungeons of Dredmor).

7. cog says:

Good god, is that Rutger Hauer narrating the opening?