Totally Wizard, Mate: Trine Enchanted Edition Released

Oooh! Aaah!

Each generation adds its own twist to old fairytales, reflecting the tone and fashions of the era, teasing out undertones as statements. Trine was not an adaptation of an old tale, but played with genre conventions to deliver a modern message: lusty wizards and thieves with grappling hooks are totally wicked cool. But what comes out when that itself is updated? Prettiness. So much prettiness.

Developers Frozenbyte yesterday launched Trine Enchanted Edition, a remake of sorts in the Trine 2 engine, adding online co-op and buckets of shininess. It’d been in public testing for a month.

Along with online co-op, the Enchanted Edition brings the sequel’s fancier character models and general make-believe blast of colour. It’s not a from-scratch remake, mostly using the old level geometry. However, layouts are tweaked a little, camera angles are adjusted, and everything is awash with magical light and smoke and and rainbows and candles and bloom and bric-a-brac. It looks a lot more like the type of fairytale the game tells.

Or if you don’t want any of that, the game’s launcher does offer an option to play plain old Trine.

1. rpsKman says:

No Linux yet for GOG. GRRRRRRRR…

Loved the 2nd one on X360, so now I have a great reason to play 1 and 2 in sequence. I hope you can play the whole thing by yourself without too much problem.

2. Greggh says:

Never got around to play Trine 1 for this exact reason: Trine 2 already launched and looked WONDERFULLY better (not that Trine 1 didn’t).

This is one entry I’m bumping on my backlog, right now!

3. Siimon says:

Comparison screenshots here:

link to reddit.com

• TheVGamer says:

Following the recent trend in games, they transformed the Thief into an Assassin. Yeah, sure. Fuck it, why not?

• Baf says:

Well, to be fair, she does a lot more killing than stealing over the course of the game.

• Baines says:

At least by those shots, the lighting went from not that bad to bright neon suns that overpower the color of anything nearby and blur textures close to the light sources..

4. daver4470 says:

Ohhhh… so THAT’S why I had a gargantuan 1.6GB Trine update last night. I was a bit curious about that.

5. DanMan says:

Well, since you can choose which version you want to play, there’s no downside to this. In other words: thanks Frozenbyte.

Now where’s that Humble e-mail… Or do I need to register it on Steam?

In case you’re asking that yourself: I’ve asked them over here: link to frozenbyte.com

• rpsKman says:

Do Alice’s words show up for you at all? ;p

“While the EE is a free update for people who already own Trine, Frozenbyte are treating it as a relaunch. They’ve bumped the game’s price up £3 for newcomers, though a launch sale brings it right back down again. It’s $2.99 (£1.76) DRM-free on the game’s site or £1.99 on Steam. Trine 2 is also on sale on Steam for £2.79. They’are all cheap on GOG too.”

• DanMan says:

I meant I bought it in a Humble Bundle, didn’t see the download there, and there’s none on the Frozenbyte website either.

• rpsKman says:

Ah. It’s weird, it’s the first place I saw the new version for sale. It showed up in my GOG account only today.

• Jalan says:

Give it a few days and they might put the updated builds up for Humble Bundle purchasers (and Humble Store/widget buyers). If they don’t, you can always contact them (both FrozenByte and the Humble guys) about getting it set up there.

tartif says:

I played through Trine multiple times and played the new Enchanted Edition through. The improvements are substantial, including co-op play, tighter mechanics, changed appearance, mid-level saves, improved UI and more. I like the level design of Trine better than Trine 2, so now with technical parity achieved I’d say Trine is the better game. Both games have zero plot so you can play them in any order.

It’s unfortunate that the game ruins itself in the end. The game is a puzzle game with light platforming, but the final level is an unnecessarily difficult “torture platforming” level that is a poor match to the clunky controls. Designing a final level is hard and the results often fall short, but this is a particularly egregious failure. It makes what could have been a great game merely good.

This is a big step forward for Trine and a good reason to play it, again or for the first time, with the caveat of the botched final level.

• bill says:

I tried that final level several times, and came close occasionally, and then I realised that it was starting to color my impression of a game I’d enjoyed a lot. So I just stopped and watched it on youtube and considered the game finished.
      No reason to let the last 5 minutes of a great game downgrade it to merely good.

I may apply this strategy to other games in the future if they have a bad final level. Eg, all of them.

• Archangel says:

It’s interesting how often this happens. I would also put Torchlight 1 and Frozen Synapse in this category. It’s not that the final boss/challenge is so hard, it’s just so different (and harder) from the mainline gameplay. Developers: please don’t do this.

On-topic: Yay for Trine!

7. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

I thought Trine was indeed fairly ugly, but the problem wasn’t technical, it just had relly bland artistic design, and I don’t think that can be patched away.