Whaddya Buyin’? Titanfall’s Black Market And Second DLC

Much like Barney and his beatings quota, I am way behind on giant stompy robot explosion-fests. Titanfall has a good shot for my game of the year if I ever find the time to actually play it again. Most likely everyone left on PC at this point are hyper-elite maniacs with actual cybernetic implants to control the game with their thoughts. At least we’ll all be equally unfamiliar with the three maps coming in the second DLC pack, Frontier’s Edge.

It’s also launching a “Black Market” that will sell some cosmetic items and packs of the one-life buff Burn Cards. These are bought with a new in-game currency that’s earned through normal play or by binning unwanted burn cards, effectively letting you trade in a few for one you particularly want.

Respawn showed off the new maps an all that in an hour-long livestream recently:

A series of blog posts detail the three maps too – Dig Site, Export and Haven. In the one about the Black Market, Respawn make a point to say that it is not a prelude to microtransactions. It doesn’t seem like any of the things purchasable there would be worth spending real money on anyway, but it’s nice to know that their policy is still to never have any.

The DLC will launch on July 31st alongside Update 5, whose patch notes will go up next week. Respawn mentioned in the livestream that fixes are on the way for a number of PC hardware-related bugs and general graphical improvements.

1. ran93r says:

Earning in-game currency to spend on cosmetic items. I’m not sure why but this sounds utterly refreshing, familiar but refreshing.

I really should play more Titanfall.

2. Volcanu says:

I hope that title is a reference to the merchant from Resident Evil 4?

Stranger, stranger!

• Wowbagger says:

I think it may actually be a reference to the dickensian steampunk alliance of tropical diseases. oh wait no it is resi 4…

• Taz says:

Great non character in RE4.

• MkMax says:

oh man, i loved that dude, “Stranger! STRANGER!, now THAT’S a weapon”

Why the F they remove him for RE5 and 6?, i have no idea, he had more personality than most of the RE characters combined

3. Kollega says:

“Not a prelude to microtransactions”… yeah, of course it isn’t. I wonder if it’s going to be any harder for them to get away with starting to sell robot hats and buff cards for real money than it was for Valve – after all, they’re working with EA, so they probably don’t have a carte-blanche from gamers to do anything they want.

• shaydeeadi says:

It must be pretty depressing being you.

• Greggh says:

Why don’t you ask him, just to make sure, instead of rubbing what could be a serious behavior disorder in his face?

…but yeah, sucks to be THAT* guy.

*who points out how evil CORPORATIONS** are
        **CORPORATIONS are evil***, not the people working in them, no, definitely not (edited in case of misinterpreted sarcasm)
        ***(C)opyright notice, “evil” is a registered trademark and whole-patent from Candy©®™ Crush Saga owner, King (?)

• FriendlyFire says:

Every time I read something like this I can’t help but shake my head…

EA, evil? Seriously? Do we have the same definition of evil, or do you just need a reality check? Oil companies could be defined as evil. De Beers could also. Perhaps some PMCs. Those companies spark wars for profit, they do slavery in everything but name, they hinder entire countries from growing and getting better.

Game companies aren’t evil. Money-grubbing, exploitative of consumers, sometimes downright stupid, sure. Evil? No. You’re just diluting the meaning of the word.

• TechnicalBen says:

Anyone and everyone can be evil. They can also be to different extents.
            I agree noting scams, exploits and just plain unfair practices on the internet is not going to do much, so possibly best to spend time doing something else. :)

• mutanteggs says:

I would define evil as “intentionally causing harm to others for their own gain.” which EA has done, multiple times. Stealing code, horrible treatment of employees, driving companies into the ground. There’s so many examples of how EA is ACTUALLY evil, not just a bandwagon thing of “oh, I don’t like this company.”

• shaydeeadi says:

Don’t forget Monsanto and Nestle. They make EA look like a street corner grocer.

• Kollega says:

Well, excuse me, princess, but I thought everyone knows that if people can stick microtransactions in a game, they probably will, because it’s just so much more lucrative when there’s no upper barrier on spending for your players. I mean, come on, I thought it was a common RPS wisdom that microtransactions are popular with the companies and suck for the player for exact same reasons. And why yes, it IS pretty depressing being me, what with high standards coupled with low expectations. But hell, at least I know when and where not to spend my money. That’s gotta count for something, right?

• FriendlyFire says:

It currently doesn’t have microtransactions. Until it does (and assuming that it eventually does), shut up and play.

That’s the gist of what most people will tell you.

• Bull0 says:

And the devs have said on various occasions that they aren’t going to make burn cards available for cash, but you know, misapply your cynicism all over the place, pat yourself on the back, call it a day

4. tangoliber says:

I love Titanfall. The only movement system I like better is strafe-jumping. But I hate burn cards, and couldn’t care less about insignias. I want the devs to first focus on a spectator mode.
    Most FPS aren’t fun to spectate. But for some reason, I always enjoy watching the evacuation phase at the end of a Titanfall match, after I have died. The movement makes it very expressive, visually….and the gameplay has this Tom and Jerry quality to it, at times. Give us a spectator mode so that the ESL matches are more interesting to watch!

5. MkMax says:

i wish Titanfall had more success, i do not regret my time with it, i had fun with it, but the starvation for content does little to keep players around

i can find no justification for an expensive mappack that splits the community even more, all my friends left and show no signs of coming back

6. Bobtree says:

I hope they don’t remove the new Marked for Death mode. I really love it.

One thing I still think Titanfall is missing is a longer playing objective mode. Something with epic 20+ minute matches and more strategic Titan deployment.

7. geldonyetich says:

Hmm, sounds interesting, maybe I should get into Titanfall.

But how much should I be willing to pay for it? Well, lets see here, factoring is basic supply and demand and how much arena-based first persons shooters there are, multiplying by the technical proficiency of this fine product, and dividing by the amount of free time I have after everything else, I would pay the price of… free with micro-transactions.

Checking Origin’s website, the game is currently… $60 plus promises of expensive DLC? Oh, darn! So close! Better luck next time, EA.