Molyneuxian Commandments: God Game Crest

You and your chastity!

God game Crest sounds like a Peter Molyneux idea, and I say that with the greatest of affection. It’s the sort of thing he might idly muse about in an interview, not realising people might then expect that to appear in a game. Crest is a civilization-building strategy where players have no direct control over their followers, instead laying down commandments to influence their behaviour.

Developers Eat Create Sleep are trying to ride that old bucking crowdfunding bronco, and have released a prototype so you can give it a bash. Come have a look.

Your followers need to build, harvest, eat, reproduce, die, and all that god game stuff, directed by Your intervention. Commandments take the form of triggers and reactions, like “If you have high Fertility you should take much Food” or “If you have low Chastity you should have low Conservative.” All of which qualities affect how they live. Faith is fuzzy though. Some might be slow to adapt to new commandments, even abandon them, or follow their own interpretations.

That’s the idea, anyway. I spent a few minutes tinkering with the demo and will return later to see how weird, complex, and contradictory commandments can get, and how that changes societies.

Eat Create Sleep are looking for $20,000 (£12 grand) in crowdfunding to pay for four months of development. They hope to use that together with funding from other sources to make it super fancy, but if all that doesn’t come together they say they’ll still finish the game. $15 (£9) would get you a copy of the game when it’s finished, with a Steam key if it passes Greenlight.

Have a look. Don’t worry, this triangle grid doesn’t appear over everything in-game:

1. Vesperan says:

This is basically what my 13 year old self wanted from the original Black & White game way back when.

B&W – ruined for me by micro management. The only game I ever pre-ordered..

Since then I’ve never let my myself get too excited about games in advance.

/queue sad music.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Time to move onto the next level! Sorry, hold on. Just let me put everything and everyone into this wormhole first.

2. Metalfish says:

“If you have low Chastity you should have low Conservative.”
    This is advice to live by.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

These commandments sound like doge-speak.

So chastity.

Much conservative.

Wow!

3. rpsKman says:

Saw “Molyneux” and almost closed the tab.

4. KDR_11k says:

Sounds like a programming challenge applied to a civilization game.

5. PopeRatzo says:

Game developers must take us for idiots with very short memories.

6. Lemming says:

You mean an actual god-game?!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

What? You mean god didn’t click on you and then click on a job for you to do? Why have I been chopping down this forest for the past 8 months?

7. Asdfreak says:

I have been thinking about a game like that for a long time, let’s see how their approach works out. It would be fun if you could act like one of those cruel gods of antiquety, forbidding them all sorts of fun and stuff, and see what happens.

www. youtube. com /watch?v=j6l1OTHWqJA

remove the blanks, apparently your spam filter thinks this is spam, and tells me to complain, where it then tells me that I can’t complain because error. Anyways, this song allways gives me wild ideas about a potential god game

Ich ging spazieren im Wald
    Ich musste einfach hinaus
    Da fand ich ein Stück Holz,
    das sah heilig aus
    Also steckte ich es ein
    nahm es mit nach Haus
    und da schnitzte ich mir
    einen Gott daraus

I went for a walk in the woods
    I just had to get out
    There I found a piece of wood
    which looked holy
    So I pocketed it
    took it home with me
    and there I carved myself
    a god out of it

8. Chris says:

[quote]“Crest is a civilization-building strategy where players have no direct control over their followers”[/quote]

B-But I exist.

What’s this got to do with Molyneux? The man’s a liar, a cheat, and a fraudster.

• mr.black says:

Explain that to Nietzsche..

Phasma Felis says:

Oh, that’s hardly fair. He’s a guy who’s a bit too passionate about his games, gets really excited and overpromises and ultimately produces fascinating but flawed products. He’s got issues, but he’s not a cynical monster.

• DXN says:

That’s a common misconception; actually, NIetzche never made a game.