No Longer A Mirage: LA Cops Early Access

LA Cops contains more comedy moustaches per screen than the Beastie Boys’ Sabotage video and Anchorman put together. It’s a celebration of facial furniture, with Syndicate-inspired shooting in between bouts of Handsome Cop Admiration. As well as moustaches, the game includes destructible scenery and a buddy system that allows a single player to control a two-cop team, implementing tactics to lure bad guys onto the disco killing floor. The Early Access version, which is available now, contains a single four scene level (taken from the planned eight levels, with a total of twenty scenes). Each of the available cops has a story to tell, a favoured ‘stache shampoo and attributes to upgrade.

The action is real-time, a fact which sends my turn-based heart into a panicked stutter. Surely I can handle two cops though? It’d be different if I had to control the entire police force.

“We expect LA Cops to be in Early Access for around two months. We have deliberately left Early Access relatively late into development as we want to make sure that what we put out is fun to play and worthy of paying money for. During the time that the game is in Early Access it will be usability tested to ensure that the game is intuitive, easy to play but hard to master.”

Sounds like the full version will have more of the same rather than anything radically different. Feedback should help to improve the basics but the current content is a complete slice of game rather than a single ingredient waiting for seasoning and structure.

I do like the aesthetic but can’t help but wish for an alternate universe La Cops about extravagantly coiffured but grammatically deficient gendarmes.

distantlurker says:

The facial hair police called, they said “good job!”

2. rpsKman says:

Linux on GOG. I can wait! Looks really nice already.

3. Warlokk says:

I just verified on the Steam forum, the Early Access version only contains the one level with 4 scenes, not the full 8 levels. Total gameplay time is only about 30 minutes right now, according to the developers. That said, this looks awesome, and I’ll likely pick it up when it’s closer to release.

Hodge says:

I think combover guy is my favourite.

5. DrScuttles says:

There had better be a cutscene shortly before the blistering climax of the game in which the overweight chief declares the cops to be loose cannons and shouts “Kowolski, gimme your badge!” Only they continue with the case regardless because, goddamn it, these cops may not play by the rules… but they sure as hell get results. Cue theme music.

• Lacessit says:

I think you have to include that scene under the Don Johnson law of 1984.

• roryok says:

“The commissioner has my ass in a sling over this!”

• Pengun says:

“and the department’s lighting a fire under my ass; Which means I’m temporarily off the hook because it’s burnt the sling away but you guys are loose cannons! Get out of my office and get me some arrests.”

6. bhauck says:

Three of the five names in the header image are perfect, but I just can’t imagine a gruff-but-lovable captain shouting “Williams!” or “Green!” with the right amount of disdain in his voice. Let’s rename them “Potter” and “Jones,” respectively.

7. JFS says:

I dunno, the art is gorgeous, but the gameplay looks bland, and somewhat stilted with the second cop standing around like a department store mannequin. Real time isn’t cool in this context. I was expecting something either like Hotline Miami, or like XCOM, maybe a little Frozen Synapse, but this is neither.

8. Ostymandias says:

god damn i love the beastie boys
    rip in piece MCA