Hazard Flag: Colin McRae Rally Offering Refunds

Zoom zoom.

People who didn’t carefully read the fine print and look over vague statements with a cynical eye might assume that the game named Colin McRae Rally which Codemasters released last week on Steam was, you know, Colin McRae Rally. If they skimmed it, they might think they were getting a revamp of the 2000 sequel Colin McRae Rally 2.0. No, not that either. It’s actually a port of last year’s mobile game, also named Colin McRae Rally, which had tracks from CMR 2.0. Confused?

After complaints from people who discovered what they’d bought wasn’t what they wanted, Codies are now offering refunds and have made the store description less ambiguous.

The official word from Codies community manager Lee Williams:

“We understand that some people who bought Colin McRae Rally on Steam are upset and feel that it isn’t the game they thought it would be. We have now updated the product description for clarification.

“Furthermore, as an act of good faith, we have worked with Valve to enable anyone that bought the game to claim a refund. The ability to refund will be available until the 19th August.

“To process a refund, please go to your account transactions page and you will see a ‘Refund’ button for Colin McRae Rally. We hope this goes some way to restoring any lost faith and thank you as always, for your continued support.”

Where the Steam description once said the game was “based on content from the 90% Metacritic rated Colin McRae Rally 2.0,” it now says it “features the car and track list from last year’s top selling mobile title.”

The line “Hit the dirt as Colin McRae Rally, the ultimate off-road racing game experience, returns to PC” now reads “Hit the dirt in Colin McRae Rally – the classic off-road racing experience,” which still seems a little bit wonky to me.

1. Neurotic says:

“Lee! Lee! Get back in your pram at once, or your father will beat you (when he gets out of prison)!”

2. lordcooper says:

Strike the earth!

3. Gilead says:

I watched a Youtube video by Nerdcubed yesterday that covered this game (and was essentially thirty minutes of ranting about the blatant bait-and-switch storefront tactics and the shoddy texture and physics engine). I had been tempted to impulse buy it; glad I resisted until I saw that.

Even on mobile there are better racing games than this, too. Now, if Asphalt 8 was ported to the PC, I think I’d actualy enjoy that — some of the tracks were a lot of fun.

• rabbit says:

that guy’s voice drives me up the fucking wall

• majormajor says:

you actually can find asphalt 8 on the win 8 appstore if you want.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Lucky this comment thread isn’t on one of Alec’s articles. Mention of YouTube pundits usually has him rolling into a foetal ball and reaching for the job ads.

But yes, nerdcubed grates after a while. That said they all do eventually. I am enjoying a guy called Raedwulf, he’s pretty cool. And so far has stayed away from fist biting Motivational Speaking that they all seem to be going in for lately.

• Gilead says:

I’ll usually watch a bunch of videos from the same person and then stop watching anything they produce for a few months. Currently I’m catching up on NerdCubed and Veriax (who does good long Let’s Play series and doesn’t have an annoyingly high-pitched voice).

(@majormajor: Ah, thanks for letting me know; my PC is still running Windows 7, otherwise I’d probably give that a try. One day I’m sure I’ll upgrade, but by then Asphalt 12 will probably be out.)

4. Ham Solo says:

Porting a mediocre mobile game to the PC is just a cash grab. Of course people don’t like that.

5. zeep says:

I can’t buy Codemasters products anymore, not since the Sion Lenton lies.

6. DrManhatten says:

If Steam had a proper user friendly refund mechanism (like some others do) this wouldn’t be even newsworthy.

• Laini says:

I suppose you have to give them a little credit for this response but yeah, like DrManhatten says, refunds shouldn’t even be newsworthy.

I wonder if using this will be your “One and Done” Steam refund?