The Detour Of The Beagle: Evolve Delayed

Evolve is the monster hunting co-op shooter from Turtle Rock, who were previously responsible for Left 4 Dead. In a big (perhaps) to prove that slow and steady does indeed win the race, TR have announced that the game will be emerging into view several months later than initially planned. October 21st was the precise date that everything was supposed to be ship-shape and ready to roar, but evolution cannot be rushed. It’s end-point can, however, be fixed at another specific date in the future – this time it’s February 10, 2015, which is the day before my birthday. Do I want to be eaten by beasties to celebrate the creakiness of my carcass? When I remember how much I enjoyed Left 4 Dead, I’m half-way convinced.

Evolve invited North Americans into a limited alpha recently and I’ve heard mixed things from people who played. Even the harshest critics admitted, after some persuasion, that there was potential in the monster hunting formula, and that extra testing and balancing might pay off. Perhaps it’s those harsh critics that 2K and Turtle Rock have been listening to. President Karl Slatoff commented in an investor call.

“We are encouraged by the overwhelmingly positive response from press and fans, and believe by extending development by a few months, it will allow the team enough time to fully realize their creative vision for Evolve. Historically, we’ve always benefited from giving the creative teams more time to polish the titles; we’ve never regretted it.”

It’s evolution, baby.

1. Cinek says:

Maybe they’ll finally improve the animations there, so that everything wouldn’t look so artificial.

2. Bull0 says:

Turtle Rock aren’t anything like 3D Realms. DNF is clearly an extreme case.

3. Megakoresh says:

FFS
    What is NOT fucking delayed this year? Have developers completely forgotten how to set proper release dates? Come the hell on, sick of this shit, EVERYTHING ever is delayed! Might as well just add 4 months to every release date from now on. Good thing I don’t pre-order anything…

• DrollRemark says:

His only crime, was that he cared too much.

• Bull0 says:

Come on now, the delays lead to polished, bug-free experiences like Watch_Dogs

…oh wait

• derbefrier says:

You re right. Since watch dogs still had some bugs at release taking extra time polish and bug hunt is therefore pointless for everyone.

• Bull0 says:

“Some bugs”

Thing was a mess, dude. Not only that, the designers talked at length about delaying it to polish the systems into a more enjoyable game, and they undeniably failed, hard, to do that.

• Crainey says:

And I suppose you would see every game come to Early Access instead of being delayed? Playing Early Access and alpha/beta products, sometimes even rushed unpolished release product like Watch Dogs (which was unplayable for me) has made me appreciate games that were given the time necessary.

• Megakoresh says:

Watch Dogs was given half a year “extra polish” time.

RaveTurned says:

A side-effect of studios developing for the relatively new next-gen consoles, perhaps?

• Gnoupi says:

Yay for delays: I have a monstrous backlog, to which I recently added Divinity: Original Sin, Dishonored, Endless Space and to top all that, I’ve started DOTA 2 recently.

I’m set for the next 6 months.

• Solidstate89 says:

Oh man, you haven’t played Dishonored? What the hell are you doing commenting on RPS? Fly you Fool!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

“In a big (perhaps) to prove”

Wait… what?

4. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It’s understandable, if they’re not working on the game, merely stirring a cauldron full of amino acids until they become life.

5. PineMaple says:

I’ve heard it’s fun, but has a low skill ceiling and is not a whole lot more than a pleasant distraction.

6. Deadly Habit says:

The alpha while fun had some glaring issues that players let them know about. Glad to see they’re not rushing it.

7. Chuckleluck says:

As a player of the alpha, I’m happy that they’re doing this. A game like this requires fine balancing, and there’s been plenty of complains that the alpha was anything but. The first 2/3 of the game are especially boring, because the monster outruns you and just avoids the hunters until he’s strong enough to face you head-on.

• dieezus says:

That isn’t the case at all. If your team has a competent trapper you can kill the monster relatively quickly. If you have a trapper that doesn’t anticipate the monsters actions and only follows the trails than the case that you described will happen.

8. Myrdinn says:

I just tuned in to say that I like the article’s title.