The ‘Z’ Word Is Zipline: Dying Light

Dying Light is an impatient game, which might explain all of the running around and jumping and firing of grappling hooks. My personal response to a zombie uprising would most likely involve barricading myself into a Waitrose store and attempting to live on toasted almonds, feta dirigibles and the Duchy’s pink fizz. The characters in Techland’s latest have a very different reaction to the end times – they run around, leaping off buildings, severing rotten limbs as they go. They’re indulging in ‘Creative Brutality’, the new trailer below reckons, and I have to admit it looks like they’re making the best of a bad situation.

Left 4 Dead crossing paths with Mirror’s Edge or Assassin’s Creed infected with the fevered bite of Dead Island? It’s probably somewhere between all four. The co-op mode makes the game at least 37% more appealing simply because it should be amusing watching friends plunging from buildings toward concrete doom, or riding a zipline into a pile of angry corpses.

If the sense of motion is as impressive as in the video, Dying Light might even have solo appeal. Movement and bone-crunching seem convincingly kinetic, and the shift to stealth when the terrors of night arrive could be an effective ploy. Clearly I’m rolling my eyes at yet another ultraviolent zombie game but I also very much want to charge through a sheet of glass to shoulder barge a zombie into an electrified pool of water. I’m not even sure if the water in the trailer is electrified but if it isn’t, all the more reason to play the game and put that right.

1. Kefren says:

The bass “whump” in almost every big budget film and game trailer is so cliched. Please stop doing it. I keep thinking the postman is knocking downstairs in slow motion.

Nonetheless, I like the idea of the game, but worry the off-putting bits from Dead Island will return, e.g. silly combination weapons.

The zombies at the end were very reminiscent of the mutant vampires in Blade 2.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

My thoughts exactly. I’m mildly interested in the zombies + parkour bit – outmaneuver and escape the Z:s instead of splattering them – but the weapon system in dead island really didn’t tickle my fancy. It was just an annoying distraction from the actual game. Hopefully they’ve filed off some of the rough edges from that, but we shall see.

• Syra says:

Hopefully they have look-over-your-shoulder buttons like in ArmA so you actually have a feel for wht’s behind you. Being ‘chased’ in FPS games is always fairly pathetic because you have to turn to see and then turn back again to run so it doesn’t feel like there’s much flow or urgency, let alone that you know something is behind you like you would in real life by sound and feel.

• stonetoes says:

Ooh, I like the sounds of that. Maybe with some sort of “stumble” mechanic that becomes more likely the longer you do it?

2. mtomto says:

I’m sooo tired of zombie games…..

3. NicholasTimothyJones says:

Many believe that the genre is soon to be dead.

• ribby says:

hey, as long as they keep finding new and interesting ways to do it, I’m sort of okay with zombies, Still, it would be nice to have them find new and interesting ways to do things and then apply those to a game that isn’t zombies

• LordMidas says:

Some say the zombie genre is rotten to the core

• theblazeuk says:

The second comment was a bit of a shambles, he bit off more than he could chew.

4. Jimmy says:

Everyone knows that fairies are the new zombies. You are running and leaping through generic urban wastelands while fairies keep untying your boot laces and causing your axe head to fall off the handle. You try to attack them and their evil rainbow flower hoodlums, but you can’t because [SPOILER] they do not exist and were only in your head.

5. Metalfish says:

Whilst I do like the look of this, I wish it didn’t have a) Techland’s signature “cool” punk post-apoc melee weapons that make sod all sense and would probably be lethal just to pick up and b) the vampires from blade 2. Come on chaps, it must be possible to do something visually distinct with the zombie thing, right?

6. DrollRemark says:

I’m much more in favour of brutal creativity.

7. guygodbois00 says:

Feta dirigibles? Flying cheese? The world IS at end, surely.

Bluerps says:

Huh. I just wanted to write the exact same thing. They have flying cheese at Waitrose?

8. JFS says:

Creative brutality is just what the world needs. That whole civil/religious war schtick scene at the moment is just so stale. Guess it’s time for some sort of new wave brutality, or at least someone could dig out some old Northern Brutality or stuff and incite a garage brutality revival.

• Syra says:

I don’t see that happening, it’s the scale which is the problem, all these large brutal movements can’t adapt to the times, what we need is an indie brutality scene.

9. PopeRatzo says:

Man, you are gonna be so constipated.