Enemy Starfighter Trailer Drums Space Battles Into You

Enemy Starfighter is a roguelike Starfox-like: roguelike, in the sense that each galaxy and its enemies are randomly generated and that there is permadeath; Starfox-like, in the sense that it skips some of the fidelity and simulation of Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen in favour of a game more concerned with pure piloting and combat. As I wrote back in April, it at times feels more like you’re flying a gun than a spaceship.

Let the new trailer below explain.

To continue this modern naming scheme, the visual style makes it a Homeworld-like, while its native support for Oculus Rift (and the DK2) makes it, er, trendy-like. My question is: what happens when videogames have provided all the fundamental fantasies – like being a spaceship pilot – and they’re all procedurally generated and therefore theoretically infinite? I think maybe we’ll just have to shut the industry down, because there will be no more dreams to make.

Not before we get Enemy Starfighter, of course. There’s no word on a release date, though plans were that it should launch into Early Access sometime this summer.

1. rustybroomhandle says:

Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada.

• Jason Moyer says:

That’s pretty much the only thing I can think of everytime I see new footage of this.

Elf needs Enemy Starfighter badly.

• Vitamin Powered says:

Except in this game it’s more “Greetings, loyal subject of the Emperor. You have been recruited by the Ko-Dan armada to bring the frontier into the light.”

2. cpt_freakout says:

“My question is: what happens when videogames have provided all the fundamental fantasies – like being a spaceship pilot – and they’re all procedurally generated and therefore theoretically infinite?”

The answer, of course, is simple: do a barrel roll.

• Gap Gen says:

Starfox, stop doing an aileron roll. Do a barrel roll. Starfox, what you’re doing is completely useless at evading an enemy on your tail. Starfox, stop it. Do a barrell roll. Barrel roll. You- o never mind you got shot down.

• Ansob says:

I was just about to quip about how aileron rolls aren’t barrel rolls. Damn you!

3. honuk says:

Starfox is a rail shooter. Not so sure where that’s coming into play here.

• Syra says:

Starfox is only on rails until you go into all-wing mode! Then it’s an arena of freedom to fly, also the multiplayer on n64 was beyond amazing like that. I would say this is perhaps less starfox more freelancer-ish combat perhaps? Arcadey.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

I miss Starfox. :(

• Taidan says:

Yeah, this definitely isn’t Elite/Star Citizen, but making baseless accusations of StarFoxery is going too far.

Maybe Wing Commander, Colony Wars or Strike Suit Zero would be a fairer comparison.

Quick, somebody make a scale of Spaceship-ness, so we can settle this once and for all!

4. Marshall Stele says:

First, will I be able to foil the plans of a hammy bald guy?

Second, can anyone comment on what it’s like to play these sort of games with only a mouse and keyboard? I thought about breaking out my old X Wing Alliance discs last weekend, but I realized I’d left my joystick at my mom’s house and decided that it just didn’t make sense at all. My muscle memory sort of… cringes at the thought of playing even Starfox with only a mouse.

But on the other hand, I flew planes through Saints Row 3 no problem, so I dunno.

• SomeDuder says:

I imagine it’s like any other space shootan game that focuses less on accuracy and more on boom – it all depends on the game. Stuff like the Freespace series is perfectly playable with both M/K or joystick, while Freelancer was a mostly M/K affair. The X-series makes using a gamepad mandatory for the flight-bits, while a keyboard is definately recommended for navigating the menus (After a while, you’ll hit each shortkey automatically, quite magical).

Who knows. It might turn out that Starfighter is nothing but a gimmicky PoS to sell Facebook’s new toy.

5. Chaz says:

Can’t say I’m a big fan of this trend of putting permadeath in games as a feature. The idea of losing everything and constantly having to start all over again just makes me feel weary before I’ve even played the game.

Maybe I’m just being really cynical, but I also get the suspicious feeling that the mechanic is there sometimes to mask a lack of content a game might be missing. It’s a neat way of curtailing the amount of content you need or a need for some sort of endgame to wrap things up, if your average player only lasts for a few hours per play through.

I sometimes think this whole thing will soon come full circle and we’ll be back to giving people 3 lives and a 1up at 10,000 points.

6. Solgarmr says:

Somehow this game has me more excited than Elite Dangeorus and Star citizen combined, guess that has something to do with that Battlezone /Homeworld approach.

Think the way permadeath is implemented that if you loose a ship, you lost that ship for good, not that you as a pilot die for good. Recall something about switching ships on the fly, or at least you skip to another one upon death I recall

• RangerKarl says:

Well, IIRC the dev made it so that your wingmen == your lives. Dunno how that mechanic has held up throughout the iterations but it sounded pretty promising.

7. coburnAlpha says:

I’ve always wanted an excuse to fish out an old joystick.

8. SuicideKing says:

Very FreeSpace. I like.

9. voorsk says:

Kinda looks like StarBlade, but not on rails (I hope). Snazzy!

10. JarinArenos says:

Oh yey, yet another bloody twitchy dogfighter. Who do I have to blow to get a game that’s actually a spaceship sim first?

11. Hanban says:

Mr. Tipul is a goddamned genius.

12. fatgleeson says:

“sometime this summer”

But its been autumn with almost 3 weeks now

13. Undermind_Mike says:

My first thought is: that’s a Shivan Manticore surely? link to rpggamer.org

Hmm unless it’s upside down. Will have to watch the video and find out.