Indie Vroom: Super World Karts

Yah did it, little green guy, you got the big prize.

I’ve been known to indignantly ask myself “Why hasn’t someone done an indie crossover kart racer?” every seven seconds. This has been going on for several years and it’s becoming a little annoying for friends, family and colleagues. Well thank goodness for Paul Hamilton (under the guise of excellently named solo studio One Legged Seagull Games) and his brainchild Super World Karts. It’s a SNES-styled karting game with a cast of both original and guest characters, currently on Kickstarter and looking for $16,000 AUD or just shy of £9,000.

Obviously an homage to Nintendo, let’s hope the game doesn’t stray too close to the copyright barrier. When discussing Team Indie, a karting game seemed the natural fit for a similar idea. Here’s the full list of guests which have been announced so far:

• Mutt from Lobodestroyo
  • Turing from Read Only Memories
  • Tim Burr from Fist Of Awesome
  • Elena from Whispering Willows
  • Filo from So Many Me
  • the guys from Toto Temple Deluxe
  • Duck from Duck Game
  • A.R.E.S. from A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda
  • The Runner from Canabalt
  • Bart & Clu from Aegis Defenders

And there’s still more to come. Paul’s trying to preserve the various disparate art styles of these games in the characters he’s porting. The Runner looks particularly sweet, but I’d recommend checking out the individual updates for shots of each.

The release is currently scheduled for March 2015 but we should all know by now that a Kickstarter usually means these things are in flux. The get-the-game tier is around £5.59 and you can accelerate its Greenlight progress, if you so desire. For a bit of history, here’s the game’s first attempt at funding from late last year. It seems to have been doing okay once it got its engine going but ran out of time before crossing the finish line. The cancellation post is backers-only, which is a shame since they’re usually pretty interesting post-mortems. Meanwhile, here’s Paul’s previous games.

1. Themadcow says:

Does it have ‘no rubberbanding’ by default? If it does then it’s on a winner.

I… *hate*.. rubberbanding…

2. Keyrock says:

You know that SuperTuxKart has been around for years and is free, right?

link to supertuxkart.sourceforge.net

• Ben Barrett says:

Had no idea, but I do know that the existence of one game doesn’t preclude the existence of another.

• Keyrock says:

Of course not, not at all, and best of luck to the folks making this game, I hope it’s a smashing success. Just pointing out that all these years you’ve been asking yourself “why hasn’t anyone made a kart racer with a bunch of colorful characters for the PC?” there’s been a kart racer with a bunch of colorful characters for the PC.

• LionsPhil says:

There’s also Sonic Racing Stars All Transformed, or some comparable word-salad, which is tons of wheee-fun and has a modest PC cast amongst all the SEGA. (It’s got TF2’s Heavy, who is probably the closest the PC has to a mascot at the moment.)

• LionsPhil says:

Unless they’ve done some major rework recently, it’s also terrible. I’m sorry, I know it’s one of the grand old Linux games back from when “Linux had no games” (along with that one where Tux slides down a hill and you have to grab fish), but the actual driving feel is miserable and it resolves player collisions by making one of them stop dead.

(I see that Bullet was supposedly integrated way back in 2008, but I’m sure I’ve played a version with nitrous, which was later.)

(Amused to see that the XFCE mouse seems to be in it now, though.)

• Geebs says:

All of the above still makes it better than Cro-Mag Rally.

SuddenSight says:

Someone who has played Super Tux Kart extensively here. It is my most favoritest of racing games (including Mario Kart).

I can say with certainty that update 8 improved the driving immensely. End-on collisions still stop cars dead, but I like that – it makes the typical bumper cars you engage in to get ahead feel more dangerous. Plus they updated the skid mechanics, making them more fun (though also weirder to learn).

Also, version 8 introduced a campaign mode with a short tutorial and unlocks.

The items are also very inventive – all of them are differentiated from their Mario Kart equivalents, and all of them can be avoided or mitigated with skill.

On the negative side, the controls feel much nicer with a good d-pad or arrow keys, the game does not respond to analog sticks well. And the skidding takes a bit to get used to. But once you do, you will find it is much more powerful than skidding in Mario Kart is.

3. RedViv says:

Jorji wants karts! Here, has official Arstotzkan karting license!

4. ArtyFishal says:

Awesome! As strange as it sounds, Wacky Wheels has always been my favorite kart racer. This looks fun to play with my daughter as well.

I only wish it had online modes…

5. toxic avenger says:

It would have been awesome if all the characters were from Indie games, like Super Meat Boy, the Braid kid, etc. Still looks awesome though, and worth a look, though I probably won’t donate.

6. Geebs says:

Hmm. Front row, left: David Bowie got in trouble for less….

7. RARARA says:

We already have Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed on the PC. What we (and in fact, the WiiU) need is something based on F-Zero.

8. Moraven says:

Does not seem inspired but a exact copy of Mario Kart game and features. Even the same powerups items.

Different Battle Modes could be fun. 3 Star ranking challenge also.
    Else it is updated Mario Kart SNES.

9. Chuckleluck says:

Hm. Perhaps I’m just not into the indie scene enough, but I’m not interested until they get some big names – Canabalt was the only game I recognized. Get Bastion, Limbo, FEZ, Super Meat Boy, maybe even Minecraft on board and then we’ll talk.

• Dare_Wreck says:

Yeah, no kidding – the only games I recognize on that list are Canabalt and A.R.E.S.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

That’s more because of the exploding indie scene than the devs’ fault…

10. zytos says:

yeah, but BC Racer is freeware; you can pick it up from your local BBS. great game

11. VanDerSpar says:

Ah… This positively reminds me of the good ol’ Whacky Wheels. I was an expert at that game.

12. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

A chiptune rendition of Ode to Joy. Now that’s what I call retro.

13. snowgim says:

Like so many other things, they lost me at Wilhelm.