Giants – Citizen Kobe: NBA 2K15

In this edition of ‘News that emerged during Gamescom but slipped through the net’, let us discuss baskets and the balls that so neatly pass through them. NBA 2K15’s PC release will be equivalent to the PS4 and XB1 versions, which is good news. When a sporting console release straddles the past and the present, the PC has often found itself relegated to the past, presumably to maximise the number of possible players. Not so with NBA though and that’s cause for celebration – 2K’s basketball series has the greatest career mode in any sports game franchise. It’s sport as RPG and I find it enormously compelling, despite knowing next to nothing about point guards and low posts.

The squeak of a sneaker on hard, polished gymnasium maple wood, the slap of synthetic skin against the curve of a palm, the flutter of the net, the light fractured through the jersey’s material and a romantic cry of…’YAKKEM’?

Scrape away the sweat and the financial corruption, and there’s a Romance to be found in sport. Whether it’s the perfect angles of a baseball diamond, static behind occasional geometric flurries of activity, or the collective intake of breath as ninety minutes of floodlit stalemate tremble and threaten to break. I think the periods of inaction and preparation are necessary – they allow the singular moments of brilliance to shock and delight. Perhaps that’s why I’ve always found basketball’s constant back-and-forth to be at war with its own Romance.

What is the most Romantic sport? Is it DOTA 2? Is that the grim promise of this 21st century?

1. satan says:

‘What is the most Romantic sport?’

Love?

2. demicanadian says:

And now I have to reinstall and play some Giants…

• Maddux says:

I wonder how many readers even got the reference. I’d venture to guess at least half of the people reading this article weren’t even born when Giants: Citizen Kabuto came out. It was the weirdest, most awesome game ever.

• Noodlemonk says:

Giants is still an absolute blast to play these days! I lost my CD (or was it actually CDs) way back, but the GOG one does hold up nicely. Amazing experience. The humour is top notch proper fucked up at most times. Next up, Sacrifice!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I remember wanting to play it so bad for the longest time but not being able to until I was able to get it for the PS2. I was kind of disappointed, but that is because I Peter Molyneuxed the shit out of the game in my head and expected more than what the game was. It was still an awesome 3rd person action game.

They should really do a reboot. Make it open world and you choose one character(s) and have to take control of the entire island. Basically Far Cry 3 only you can be a giant monster or a bunch of for some reason British space mercenaries or Storm as a mermaid.

• Recurve says:

To this day it remains one of my favourite games. They really don’t make ’em like they used to.

• snowgim says:

I have no interest in the basketing of balls, not in this K nor any other. I only came here to see how many remembered the reference. Great game, it’s been too long since I played it.

• Fiatil says:

The death (in spirit) of Planet Moon after Giants and Armed and Dangerous is one of the great tragedies in gaming history.

3. Guvornator says:

I just picked up 2K13 for £5 and I have to agree – it’s fantastic! What I really love is the simulation of of the whole circus – the fact that you can meet with the GM to slag off people or engineer a trade, the way that, regardless of how well you’re playing, some dick on social media will always be ripping on you, the way that your teammates rate your performance and that doesn’t necessarily mean you’ve had a dreadful game, just that you’ve been a bit selfish. The only thing that’s a touch irritating is the fact you can’t seem to change your voice – my pasty English Point Guard has an Southern African American drawl, which just does enough to pull me out of the game in the game, fo’ real (as he’d say)

• FurryLippedSquid says:

That’s unintentionally hilarious.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I love giving characters mismatched voices.

• DancDanc says:

Okay, I agree with you for the most part, but that is definitely NOT a “Southern African-American” accent.

It’s their patented and fairly authentic Drake accent.

4. Gap Gen says:

Damn that’s some fine beard rendering.

5. BLACKOUT-MK2 says:

That is one glorious beard.

• Jad says:

That’s Chris “Birdman” Andersen, and he’s had some pretty incredible hair over the years. (also an insane number of tattoos)

Anyway, I love the NBA 2K series, and I’m happy that its the same as the “next gen” console version — I skipped last year’s as it was the engine still built for those 8-year-old dinosaurs in the previous generation.

I think we’ve gotten to the point where this is unnecessary to say, but just to re-iterate: You don’t have to like sports videogames, but to dislike them solely out of some nerds-vs-jocks, gamers-don’t-play-sports stereotype is silly.

• Ex Lion Tamer says:

“NBA 2K is an action game with light RPG elements, that like DOTA has basically one map but a vast array of characters, and like a fighting game has a large array of command inputs and button combos. It just also happens to have a TV show associated with it with live-action version of the game.”

As a massive fan of both the NBA and more conventional RPS subject matter, I enjoyed this description. It’ll be nice to have the full NBA2K experience on PC again.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It’s been years since i stopped playing NBA games, for no precise reason as i tend to like that sport.

Some of my fondest memory about some NBA game i can’t remember is the possibility of creating my own team with my own made up people and get them progressively better. Is this one going to have such a feature even in the SP career?

I know these 2K-stuff games have been pretty decent lately, with such a feature i could totally consider splurging some cash for the “next-gen” one.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Hockey games are action games. The point is to go for most penalty hours, right?

6. Kempston Wiggler says:

For this beard, he paid the Iron Price.

7. FlintPaper577 says:

Cricket is the most romantic sport I would say. Or baseball (but I don’t care as much for baseball so nyah). There’s something about the summeriness of cricket, combined with the way it pits individual competitors (with their individual skills, characters, virtues and vices laid bare in a way that no other sport can manage) against each other in what is ostensibly a team game – it’s like a medieval tournament or something.

8. Jason Moyer says:

Given that they’ve neutered every release of NBA 2K for the PC’s thusfar, I’ll believe it when I see it. I don’t doubt that they’ll upgrade the assets to those used on PS4/XBone, but this would be the first time they’ve included all of the modes/features that the consoles have.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

As far as i know they didn’t really hide that though, so i don’t think it’s so far fetched to believe them now.

Besides, with Metal Gear hitting our shores and the next gen war getting one sided ( the Xbone is already short on oxygen ) in a way that never happened the past gen, along with the still-not-so-incredible install base the next-gen has, our platform of choice is getting a level of business interest that never happened in a LOT of time.

The PC is showing huge numbers, the next gen got older faster than it used to, and we all share the x86 platform. Shunning the PC now is totally a waste of money in a way that never was.

• TuneIntoCh0 says:

This is also the first time they have specifically said that the PC version will be identical. The official announcement was made during a twitch session with two of the devs/community managers, and they said the PC version would be “sweat drop by sweat drop, shot for shot” the same as the PS4/XO version.

9. Sweedums says: