Smell The Glove: The Magicka Devs’ Gauntlet Revamp

Hey. I love my mum. Thanks.

“Cor, Gauntlet yeh, remember playing it in the chippie, yeah?” I don’t, no, and I’ll thank you to stop dripping fag ash on my foot you awful drunken lout. However, my interest in a new game with co-op by the Magicka wizards at Arrowhead Game Studios is enough to overcome my general disdain for cynical attempts by publishers to cash in on old names they’ve remembered they own the rights to.

A new trailer gives a look at several gameplay minutes of Arrowhead’s reboot-o-revamp-a-namesake of the arcade magical murderfest, simply Gauntlet, and a new release date.

Technically the September 23 date this trailer states is a delay of a few weeks, but we didn’t post about the release date in the first place because who really notes release dates months in advance anyway? “The additional time was needed to fine-tune details in order to bring gamers an even more robust multiplayer experience”, publishers Warner Bros. say..

I’m trying not to mention pre-order bonuses and all that jazz in news posts because pre-ordering is a mug’s game, but sometimes it’s so video games. Pre-ordering Gauntlet will get you a fancy item, described by WB as “a special Wizard’s Robe made from dead imps, who are children of the greater demon, Kerthull.” Sometimes I wonder. But look, look, here’s that gameplay trailer I promised:

1. Joibel says:

We need more stories tagged with “a special Wizard’s Robe made from dead imps”.

2. lowprices says:

Did RPS report on Assassin’s Creed Unity offering “pants that make you faster” as a pre-oder bonus? Because that is still my favourite.

Back on topic, I’m interested, but I’ll wait for a bit. If it’s like Magicka I expect it to be ridiculous fun, but pretty broken on release.

3. strangeloup says:

I can’t help but feel they missed an opportunity to make the tagline “Attack The Darkness”.

4. frightlever says:

I propose an RPS drinking game – every time Alice mentions alcohol, drinking or drunkenness in an article, we all take a drink.

5. Spacewalk says:

Needs more colour. Is their lead platform the Gameboy?

• slerbal says:

I agree. Where is all the colour? I loved the original Gauntlet and this version is leaving me unmoved despite having all the elements I should love.

The original was so colourful and bright and even in the video walkthrough I found myself thinking the original looked more appealing! The weird coloured spotlights on the characters are a recent addition – they were not evident in previous screenshots – I wonder if they too have realised that the game is not colourful enough? Either way I don’t think the effect works and the world looks murky and flat.

I’m not ruling the game out, but I will await reviews and probably pick it up in a sale later on.

• Baines says:

It is the curse of 3D graphics, “realism”, and dynamic lighting effects.

Why make the whole game colorful, when the drab floors make your colored spotlights stand out. Of course you need colored spotlights on each character because you have tiny realistic models that can’t be easily recognized without the addition of a giant colored marker.

• slerbal says:

Exactly.

• MacTheGeek says:

In the grim darkness of the far present, there are only Diablo-inspired dungeon designs.

• Baines says:

That is almost unkind to Diablo.

Diablo 3 has more details in its textures, but not at the cost of clarity. It doesn’t go particularly overboard on lighting or shading effects. Compare that to the Gauntlet still image at the top of this article. Instead of Diablo 3’s bright character indicator ring, Gauntlet has giant spotlights (or floor lights). That purple light is about five character widths in diameter and even lights the adjacent wall almost to the ceiling. The room to right is filled with zombies around a central light source, presumably to show of the shadow casting. The textures are bland and color limited, versus Diablo 3’s bright and almost cartoony nature.

Which brings up a thought. Remember that one of the vocal complaints against Diablo 3 was that it was too colorful, bright, and cartoonish. One of the things that Path of Exiles supporters praised what that POE had a darker, more realistic style. Both Torchlight games had players requesting mods to give the games a darker, grimmer appearance.

Though looking back at screenshots shows that Diablo 2 was also bright and colorful, at least compared to games like the Gauntlet remake and POE. No fancy shading or lighting muting or washing out detail or color, while monsters used bright colors and were designed to be quickly recognizable even with what is now a low resolution screen.

Diablo 1 had muted color, but that was probably because of hardware limitations rather than intentional design. It at least looked like Diablo 1’s devs tried to have both color and variety in their designs.

• Anthile says:

I played the N64 Gauntlet Legends to death and this sadly looks nothing like it. This Gauntlet seems more like a remake of the original arcade game which seems like a mistake. I think I’ll pass unless it runs out really good anyways.

• DrollRemark says:

What’s a Gameboy?

6. LordBilisknir says:

Did anyone play Gauntlet Legends on any of the consoles? I had it on Dreamcast and loved it.

7. Guvornator says:

‘“Cor, Gauntlet yeh, remember playing it in the chippie, yeah?” I don’t, no, and I’ll thank you to stop dripping fag ash on my foot you awful drunken lout’

Good to see RPS’s middle class fear of people who actually work for a living is a strong as ever ;) I think the last and indeed only version of Gauntlet I played was on the Dreamcast. It was great for a 10 minute mindless blast, although a bet tedious if you played longer. This one seems to be drifting more towards ARPG territory. Not sure how I feel about that…

• Themadcow says:

My chippie wasn’t posh enough to have Gauntlet with it’s flash 4 joystick configuration, it had double dragon and a fruit machine instead.

• Guvornator says:

If I wanted to go to a fast food place with an arcade machine, I had to travel to Whitstable where they had a chippie with a 1942* arcade machine.

*That is to say, an arcade machine with the game 1942 on it, not an arcade machine from 1942. Although imagine that:
        Give Jerry What For in Call Of His Majesty!
        Chose from a variety of Characters – plucky Cockney Sparrow Pvt. Bobby Common just wants to do his country proud – but not as proud as his dear old muvver!

Officer Arthurial Monstanley Pill-Cockeril is an officer and gentleman – pity he’s also a coward! Will he find the backbone to march into the jaws of the whiley Iti for King and Country?

Lieutenant Beret Garlicbrie suffers from a rare genetic disorder – he’s French! Without the gentle hand of Monarch to guide him, can he fight as well as his beefy British Comrades, or will the innate inferiority of a purely democratic state result in his death and the hands of the dastardly hun?! Press “Advance” to find out!

(1 ha’penny = 1 credit. Warning: Browning gun attached to cabinet is real – do not point at face or anyone you are fond of. Toodle Pip!)

• Flangie says:

Loved it when I was a kid, arcade version, speccy, ST.
      Looks like fun….if it’s cheap…

8. eggy toast says:

I also enjoyed Gauntlet Legends back in the day and this looks like a Diablo3 clone in comparison to that. That’s not to say that it couldn’t turn out to be fun but it really looks nothing like Gauntlet to my eyes.

• Jason Moyer says:

Diablo was a Gauntlet clone.

• RogueJello says:

It’s probably closer to say that Diablo was a Rogue-like before the term exploded. Random dungeon, purpose of which was to get to the bottom. Random loot, town above to buy stuff from, single person (instead of a party) 3 quarters view.

Only thing really missing is permadeath.

9. Jason Moyer says:

I wish this were more colorful, like the original games (Gauntlet and Gauntlet II) but otherwise this looks like what I thought Hammerwatch was going to be.

• slerbal says:

Me too. I enjoyed Hammerwatch a bit, but it did not hold my attention for long.

Really the main problem with a Gauntlet remake is me. I am no longer 13 and super-hyped about everything, I am now jaded and old. Still even 13 year old me would wonder what happened to all the colours other than brown in this new version… :D

10. derbefrier says:

Gotta love gauntlet. I. Have fond memories of the old arcade game and the ones that came out on consoles. Will definately pick this up as long as reviews aren’t horrible.

11. Wetworks says:

Not sure there is any reason to play this over Diablo 3.

12. Themadcow says:

Wizard Needs Food Badly.

Just because the universe will implode if there’s a Gauntlet article without that being mentioned somewhere.

13. DrGonzo says:

Can’t believe the reactions in the comments. This looks fantastic! Loved the original in the arcade, used to play with my step-mum, dad and brother. Will hopefully convince them all to give this one ago.

And Gauntlet Legends was alright, but not a patch on the original.

• subedii says:

Yeah I’m definitely liking what I’m seeing of the new Gauntlet. Seems like it’d be a great co-op game.

14. SkittleDiddler says:

So, boatloads of DLC?

15. wengart says:

I really want this game to be bright and colorful. It isn;t and that makes me sad/

16. Quiffle says:

Needs more synthesized voicework.

17. sinister agent says:

This doesn’t look particularly gauntlet-y, but it does look like a decent enough game.

18. ruins72 says:

By the devs of Magicka? Then I’ll pass, that game was buggy as hell.