Hexcells Infinite Is Out Monday, All Other Gaming To Cease

Alice woz ere.

Oh Hexcells. How I love thee. As a man obsessed with puzzle games, it is with no small amount of consideration that I say Hexcells is the best new puzzle in the last few years. I’ve jabbered my delight over both Hexcells and sequel Hexcells Plus previously, and I’m giddy-thrilled to see that there’s to be a third and final game in the series, out next month, called Hexcells Infinite. And it’s out on Monday.

…final?!

Creator Matthew Brown is currently working on Sound Shift, but has generated a whole new Hexcells at the same time, and one that seems to be designed to put a lid on it. And to do so, he’s created a way of generating infinite puzzles, so everyone can stop hassling to make more of them himself.

The game will contain another 36 hand-made puzzles, and then go on to make its own to sate the hungriest players. Which is to say, if this works, I will now only play Hexcells for the rest of my life. So to keep everyone up to date, RPS will be relaunching itself on Monday when the game comes out, as an all-Hexcells, all-the-time site, bringing you the latest news and views about Hexcells and Hexcells, with Hexcells for Hexcells Hexcells Hexcells, Hexcells.

Hexcells.

1. Smi says:

I basically bought Hexcells and Hexcells Plus on your recommendation.

You’ll probably be pleased to know that I loved them (despite my pathological inability to “do” puzzle games) and actually found them enjoyable and achievable. Therefore, I shall throw my money at my screen in the hope that it will buy this game for me.

• Phinor says:

Also bought Hexcells & Plus based on RPS recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed both them. The problem is, they consumed all my gaming time until I finished them and if this one has infinite puzzles.. well I guess that’s that, I have until Monday to finish all the other games I ever wanted to play. Good thing I can keep reading RPS though, as it will cover all the games I will play.

• Tekrunner says:

As a variation on this theme, I bought both Hexcells games for my wife on John’s recommendation, since she’s a big fan of Picross. Needless to say, she loved it.
        So I guess that means that starting on Monday I should start looking for a new wife?

• Banyan says:

I also bought Hexcells based on RPS’ raves and thought it to be the best game I’d played in months. You feel terribly clever when you figure stuff out, and 100% achievement completion is totally reasonable so you know when you’ve finished the game. Looking forward to this.

2. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Having bought and finished both, I must say I was quite happy with it.
    I do hope that his infinite puzzles dont have parts where you have to guess (Like minesweeper does).

I imagine its something rather like soduku, where its starts with a full board, all annotated, then keeps hiding numbers till it can no longer figure the puzzle out. Which probably means there is a program that can do hexcell better than us :(
    One of the reasons SpaceChem is my favourite puzzle game is the fact that its not just number crunching, its actually creative in nature, with no two peoples solutions really matching.

But still, more hexcells is good hexcells

• Stephen Roberts says:

I recently did a solution in SpaceChem and I am not sure if it makes me clever but it’s such a surprisingly difficult game I sat back and gazed at the solution almost in disbelief that it worked. I’m sure it’s only the tip of the iceberg.

Then I (tearily eyed) called my family and the local news to tell them it worked. If anyone has completed SpaceChem, they should probably be doing work for Nasa or something.

• Awesomeclaw says:

At one point one of my friends and I were engaged in a Spacechem duel, trying to eke out every cycle of performance and remove every spare symbol possible. It got to the point where we were basing solutions around knowledge of the inside of the game engine (such as the order in which each waldo operates each cycle) before we called a truce.

• e-dog says:

SpaceChem is basically programming in assembler with very hard and weird additional restrictions imposed by having to fit it into the 2D grid. No wonder it’s hard since the programming is hard itself.

• LionsPhil says:

Yes! My main brain-hurt with SpaceChem is how little state you have to work with; it’s like developing for some crazy platform where registers were considered decadent extravagances.

• Hillbert says:

I love SPACECHEM! I recently created a solution that was an intricate mess of spinning molecules and dancing waldos. It ran slow and it used a huge amount of symbols but by god it looked great.

Hexcells is great too. Just not SpaceChem great. But what is?

phuzz says:

I had to stop playing Sapcechem when the time to complete even a small part of the solution to one level took longer than the 3-4 hours that I can reliably give to a game in one sitting.
      Having to remember why and what I was doing was just too complicated.

3. Beernut says:

Seems that this year, Christmas will come early. Combined with Easter and a couple of birthdays, with all kinds of bacon-wrapped strippers and world-peace. Let’s call that Hexcells-Day from now on! (Or Hexcells-Millennium, since it’s infinite!)

I’m extremely glad that we get more levels of that fantastic game, let alone a level generator to get even more of it!

EDIT: Forgot to thank RPS again for introducing me to the series last year. Easily the most fun I had with a puzzle game since Jelly no Puzzle (link to rockpapershotgun.com)

4. Varanas says:

I didn’t bother with Hexcells, but I loved Hexcells Plus (John’s review made the former sound too easy for my tastes). I sometimes go back to play a few levels and I love that it’s the kind of puzzle that you can’t easily remember the solution to, but all the same this infinite puzzle idea has me very excited. The “use today’s date” in particular sounds very cool, I love games with daily challenges (as long as they’re hard enough, Alcazar fails quite badly on that front).

5. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Wow. Such good timing! I’ve only finished hexcells plus a week ago. And that last level had me on my knees… But I still want to play more.

6. jingies says:

In the top screenshot,

Top row, the cell to the right of the blue cell (underneath 3) is black.

The cell just underneath the one currently being revealed is also black.

• Niko says:

The cell below it is also black, and the cell below that one is blue. The one to the right of it is also blue. Next one to the right is black.

7. DrMcCoy says:

…And there goes my life.

8. amateurviking says:

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

9. widowfactory says:

Love this game. What would be awesome, however, would be to save & upload randomly generated puzzles so if you come across a good one you can share it with others (and likewise, play puzzles other people have marked out). The ability to make your own puzzles and rate other peoples would be awesome++.

But i guess that’s not going to happen if the guy wants to move on. After all, the world doesn’t have enough ‘racing games set to music’…. snore

10. Crispy75 says:

It looks like each puzzle has a seed, so if you find a good one, you just need to share that seed no.

11. Gog Magog says:

HEX FOR THE HEX GOD
    vexillum alte volat etcetera

12. slerbal says:

good lord! the amount of positive comments makes me think I have wasted my life by not playing Hexcells yet. Great stuff! Enthusiasm and enjoyment is wonderfully infectious. I shall acquire!

• Martel says:

I was just thinking the same thing and then I got an email for a bundle that just started today which includes Hexcells Plus! Good timing, I think I’ll have to snag it

link to indieroyale.com

• valuum says:

You can also buy it for 3$ directly from the guy, link to matthewbrowngames.com , which is a better way of supporting him directly (if you should want to) and also not filling up your steam library (further).

13. durns says:

Alice defacing screenshots with sneaky alt-text again. Or is it really Alice?

14. bonuswavepilot says:

I suggested inclusion of random generation to Matthew not long after Hexcells Plus came out… Got the impression from his response that he’d thought about it but wasn’t likely to include it in anything anytime soon. I am glad to see that impression was wrong! More Hexcells, huzzah!

15. Arglebargle says:

I dislike puzzle games…a lot. But I’ve got a good friend who eats them for breakfast, so these recommendations are always great info for presents and such. And I am not so mean and curmudgeonly that I don’t want folks with such incomprehensible tastes to have really good games to play…. ;)

16. Danopian says:

Be still, my flitter-fluttery heart. I feel a swoon coming on.

17. jingies says:

After firing up Hexcells Plus to refresh myself for this, my wife asked me what I was playing.

She is now addicted to Hexcells, soon to move on to Plus and I don’t think I’ll get the laptop back any time soon.

18. particlese says:

HOT DANG I am excited by this news! I worry a little that the “infinite” part won’t be able to tap into that distinct hand-crafted feeling of the hand-crafted bits*, but then I realize I’m just kidding myself. More Hexcells? Yes, please!

*A fellow RPS commenter described it previously as (to paraphrase) the dev watching you play and getting a kick out of you loudly making your first move in an hour and rewarding you with some quick, giddy solving of a good chunk of the board immediately after.

19. bonuswavepilot says:

So when they say ‘Monday’, does anyone know what time…? In Australia land there is only 12 minutes left of Monday, although I appreciate that you Imperials tend to lag a bit behind the True Time.