Now Modding: Saints Row IV’s First SDK Release

If you’re some how bored of the massive collection of mostly ludicrous weapons in Saints Row 4, you’ve come to the right news post. Over on the Saints Row Mods forum, the first part of the SDK for the raddest of last year’s open world games has been released. SR4 already had a modding scene, you see, mostly for skin creation and modifying existing assets to look a little nicer or tweaking the game in mechanical ways. This first release contains tutorials, templates and tools for weapon model modification, using stuff from the newly-announced Gat Out of Hell expandalone as an example.

The tutorial on how to replace existing models in the game with new ones is over here. Along with the SDK itself, this thread also has all of the weapon models from Saints Row 3 and 4 to mess with. While the first part of the SDK only lets people replace guns already in the game, there’s plans for more freedom in future releases. This includes adding new content altogether, and better tools for replacing skins and models of other objects. Hopefully the end goal is level editing, mission creation and so on.

Given the ridiculousity of the game itself, it’ll be interesting to see what the community can create given easier to use and more powerful tools. Craig’s previously shown off the first-person mod that’s been in development for a while, the most recent build of which is over here. As a bonus, here’s the weirdest thing I found while browsing around, from Volition’s community manager:

And the best footage of the first-person mod, complete with bangin’ soundtrack:

1. kurtensen says:

Now that the game of the century version is out, including all the DLC shenanigans, and this… it’s probably time to finally buy it.
    Will always support companies that are mod-friendly (looking at YOU, Rockstar…ahem)

2. DarkLiberator says:

I’ve always wanted triple dildo bats.

3. Jumpyshark says:

IdolNinja is also the guy who made the Gentlemen of the Row mod that essentially made SR2 playable on PC. It’s great that he got hired by Volition, and that video had me giggling away. The first person mod has a wonderful sense of movement too, like a super-powered Mirror’s Edge.

• Baines says:

Looking back, modding seemed more active before Volition got involved and before IdolNinja was hired.

Part of that is because after over a year of hopes and promises, the only mod tools that have been delivered is weapon modification. Runic ran into a similar issue with Torchlight II, where by the time they finally started to deliver on their promised mod tools, modders had already worked out a decent amount by themselves and people had already begun to lose interest in the game.

Part is because the things that people really want to mod in the game are things that either aren’t going to be possible at all or at least aren’t going to be possible with as yet undelivered help and tools on the part of Volition.

Part of that is because IdolNinja was one of the biggest modders, and whether intentionally or not was pretty much the head of the modding scene. He quit modding when Volition hired him.

• Guy Montag says:

IdolNinja is still working on Sandbox+, which is as close as he’ll get to GotR for 4. Which is fine, as there are other modders working on packs relatively comparable in scope. Not trying to be confrontational (I say this as I’ve replied to you in two articles, now), but I really don’t see this issue that you see. Saint’s Row has always had a laughably, sadly small group of modders. It was basically IdolNinja in 2, but the work he put in creating a community helped that grow for 3 and 4. I’m more astounded that so few modders have been able to do this much, as the SDK is not a Volition project, they’re just offering support.

I say, kudos to modders, especially ones willing to put this much work in.

4. frightlever says:

Played about 10 hours of SRIV the weekend I bought it and just never went back. I played the heck out of SRtT but I don’t think the alien thing clicked with me.

• Jalan says:

I could overlook the aliens depending on what I was focusing on (obviously the main story missions being out of the picture there, since you’re likely to encounter them multiple times throughout). There was certainly enough non-alien involved activity to keep me occupied.

5. derbefrier says:

Cool mods tools are always fun.

6. Leb says:

Wait so, Gat out of hell is an expandalone, for SRIV… which was an expandalone?

• MrFinnishDude says:

Expandaloneception?

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

SRIV was meant to be an expandalone, but it was developed into a brand new game (that, uh, takes place in the same town and uses a lot of the same assets). Some things of the expandalone were shown in the first expansion, which is not an expandalone. Now there will be an expandalone for the game that was going to be an expandalone but wasn’t. It’s really simple.

7. Nastrali says:

This is a good start, but we really need the rest of the tools to do anything significant. I love the Saint’s Row aesthetic versus GTA’s realistic grit, and am dying to do something big in this world!