Elitist Open World: Jameson The Pilot

Published by 11 Bit Studios (Anomaly, This War Of Mine) and created by ‘a mysterious one-man dev team’, Jameson The Pilot is Elite, except you’ll be looking at the life of your spacefarer from a bird’s eye view. Except the term ‘bird’s eye view’ doesn’t really make sense in space. Obviously, I’d love to see a flock of pigeons trying to guide themselves through the cosmos, or just a single vulture, but they wouldn’t be the best place to hang your camera. Jameson is a top-down space sim, in which the player can take on all manner of roles, from pirate to space-bus driver. I hope that the world is at least as robustly simulated as that in the glorious Space Rangers 2. Trailer below.

Just as the abstraction of visuals in a game like Dwarf Fortress allows for a wide range of interpretation and complexity, Jameson’s pixel style might well allow for all manner of variety and imaginative leaps. That’s the hope anyway.

Mine minerals, trade goods, transport passengers, ambush tradesmen, hunt outlaws, join guilds of traders, soldiers or merciless pirates and pilot different ships from tiny unarmed transporters to huge armed-to-the-teeth space destroyers…

…or leave everything behind and explore the diverse pixel universe! And when traveling light years away, prepare to meet beings and see things you only knew from science fiction and fantasy stories…

And, yes, the name is very cheeky.

Top comments

1. MrThingy says:

AHA! Found it:

"Jameson the Pilot" by rezoner
  1. Niko says:

Sooo beautiful!

2. Zyx says:

Dammit dammit dammit I wanted to make this exact same game. >_<

Oh, well.

• frightlever says:

Hasn’t Escape Velocity Nova, Transcendence, Star Sector, Void Expanse et al gotten there first?

• Sam says:

I scrolled down to the comments entirely to make sure the Escape Velocity series was mentioned. Open world that you can just do your Elite-like stuff in, or discover and follow one of many campaign missions with universe-changing effects as you help one group or another conquer systems and stuff.

They’re still on sale from Ambrosia Software and still at $20, $25, $30 each. Remember when people would pay more than $4 for a game? Crazy times. They should probably re-release Nova. The pre-rendered sprite look is starting to come back in to fashion and those open world space games are so hot right now.

• Quiffle says:

Just to add to the list, allow me to recommend Ascii Sector.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

EVN still looks excellent. And sooo worth it. Well, I may be biased as Escape Velocity is definitely one of the Games That Made Me variety.

• dontnormally says:

If you buy Escape Velocity Nova, you can download (for free, legitimately) the first two games as plug-ins.

Escape Velocity: Override is a much better game, imho. And works just fine as a plug-in!

• frightlever says:

I played the EVN demo YEARS ago. Decades probably. I recall having to upgrade a leather gasket just to build up the steam pressure to run it. Oh, that’s cool, I thought, I’ll keep an eye on that for when the price comes down. And here we are now, no further on. It’s not even the price, it’s just dreary tedium of navigating some tiddly little web shop.

They should stick it on Greenlight. Why not, right?

• Love Albatross says:

I had an idea for an isometric stealth game, then this week read about Invisible Inc which was somewhat similar.

It’s cool though, I have no programming ability so it was never going to happen.

3. Shadowcat says:

Flatspace?

Harlander says:

I started working on a game I called Flatspace, only to find that someone had made a game that not only was pretty similar to what I was doing but also had the same name.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I remember Flatspace being good.
      Was Flatspace good?

Back on topic, gosh this is a pretty art style. And I’m fairly convinced I’ll never get tired of new space games. Keeping an eye on this one.

4. moocow says:

‘a mysterious one-man dev team’?

Clearly this is Frog Fractions 2

5. Borodin says:

“And, yes, the name is very cheeky.” Call me dumb but I don’t get it. Is there a Jameson that I don’t know about?

• jnik says:

It’s the default commander name in Elite (as hinted in the writeup).

Harlander says:

Jameson was an NPC in the Traveller pen-and-paper RPG, as well, so it’s not a name without a history of being ‘borrowed’

6. MrThingy says:

I’m sure I saw a Ludum Dare which had a similar name a year or so ago? ( I don’t see any mention of LD, unless I’m being dense…)

Anyone know if it’s the original author taking it further? It was definitely called something like Jameson and had exactly the same gameplay. The LD entry was amazing, so I have high hopes for this.

7. bilharzia says: