Freeware Garden: Red Entity

Clearly a plot-heavy offering.Red Entity is a game about a bunny girl, her giant mech and a couple thousand baddies out to get them and yet it makes sense. Or, well, not. Truth be said, this is all about shooting everything that comes your way, dodging stuff and surviving long enough to make it to the next wave.

Plenty of plot elements to shoot at.It’s quite obviously a brilliantly frantic, 2D, side-scrolling shooter in which you get to run and jump and kill stuff and avoid all sorts of projectiles and, occasionally, call in your mech friend to deal massive damage to anything remotely threatening. Survive five increasingly demanding waves of this and you’ll unlock a longer, tougher mode that will allow you to further hone your shooting, melee-ing abilities while murdering over a thousand enemy sprites.

And then, the game will be over.

Red Entity, you see, is a short, but lovely offering. It’s polished, finely balanced and looks like an EGA-era masterpiece. The fact that it was made in under 72 hours makes it all the more impressive and, frankly, that’s all there is to say about it. It’s pure arcade fun and you can download it for Windows, Mac and Linux either on itch.io or via the Ludum Dare forums.

Hodge says:

Hey, this is pretty ace.

2. Pointy says:

Hey!

I made a free game, please have a go and tell me what you think.

Indie DB

Harlander says:

I haven’t had the chance to try it yet, but I will ask this:

What’s with that guy in the comments there who used 9 for ‘o’ and 6 for ‘b’? Weird.

• Pointy says:

My guess would be a dodgy keyboard,
        I didn’t want to point it out as he must know.

• Jackablade says:

Looks like another callow youth corrupted by the insidious Homestuck

3. Greymatter says:

Logged in for the first time since I made an account to vouch for this game. If you have ever liked Megaman, you’ll enjoy this.

SuddenSight says:

Great game! Here are some of my thoughts, in bulleted list form:

+) The art is great. The title screen image, which is also the header of this article, is nice. The sprite art is rather excellent. For a 72-hour game, the quality here is simply breath-taking.

+) The sounds are pretty good. Not the best in the world, but they keep me engaged and are not annoying, so it is good.

+) The jumping and shooting physics feel great.

-) The screen can feel overflowing pretty much all the time. Once I got the hang of it, I settled in to just turning back and forth, shooting constantly. The power-ups drop from enemies so big swarms just end up fully powering you up so you don’t need to run away. This isn’t all bad, because there is no way to effectively dodge more than three or so enemies at a time. Plus, the “popcorn” enemies feel entirely superfluous. None of this is a problem in such a short game, but it would get tiring in a longer game.

-) The robot mode is super cool. The way you handle running and gunning completely changes. Honestly, I think the game would be more fun if the robot mode was the default. The motions are more unique compared to other games, and definitely makes you feel like you are in a big, ponderous mech. The downside is the robot mode is intentionally overpowered. This is necessary to allow you to beat the later stages.

Overall, I think the game would be improved if the robot mode was the default, and the “normal” mode was a fall-back if you lost the robot. The awkward robot controls would lend themselves to a smaller number of more potent enemies, which I think could easily be spun out into a longer game.

Maybe my thoughts were too long – I really liked this, and I hope the creators keep making stuff.