We Expect You Not To Die So Much: Invisible Inc Updates

Earlier this week I was rather enthusiastic about Klei’s freshly Early-Accessed turn-based cyberpunk stealth game Invisible, Inc, but as I and many others found, it’s a punishing old bastard. To some extent I was onboard with that, as there’s much to be said for the core strengths of XCOM and Spelunky hooking up, but Klei have addressed the concerns already with the early access game’s first update. There’s a new ‘Easy’ mode for newbies, while Normal now actually ramps things up slightly for veterans.

Granted, it’s a pretty small-fry update as they go (and compared to the kind of thing that traditionally prompts us into a post) but in this case it’s a small change with a big effect. I suspect a fair few people are holding off giving Invisible Inc a spin because they fear it’ll be too punitive – although I do dispute that it really is – so a more forgiving mode does make sense. The important thing is that the new Easy mode is optional, and they’ve not ripped challenge out of the intended experience.

Here’s the breakdown on what the two modes entail:

Easy

• Safes, guards, and rewards are more lucrative.
  • Alarm stages ramp less quickly.
  • Neural Disrupters knock out for longer

Normal

• Safes, guards and rewards are less lucrative.
  • More firewalls protect the mainframe.

It’s really the last two entries under ‘easy’ that will have the most significant effects. In the build I played, the alarm stages shot up rapidly, meaning more guards, more cameras, stronger firewalls, and a general tightening on the noose for every moment I tarried. At the same time as all that, every guard I knocked out with my neural disrupter (it’s a taser, c’mon) would only slumber for two turns, which often meant they were hot on my heels again before I could get well away from them.

The barrier to entry is significantly lower, essentially, and I think they’ve done it without having the handicap the game itself. Further elaboration on the mini-change is here.

The patch is live right now. My dilemma now is whether to lower myself to Easy so I can get further into the campaign, or stay committed to the path of learning, taking failure on the chin and enjoying the pride that comes from overcoming tricky odds.

In any case, I’m going back in right… now.

1. TechnoJellyfish says:

“too pun-itive”

No such thing as too many puns.

SuddenSight says:

I like how you snuck that in there. The jokes will slip right by the difficulty levels.

2. Quiffle says:

Quite frankly I’m enjoying getting my ass handed to me so handily and how in a single turn everything can suddenly escalate and turn into a world of poo. It becomes almost artistic when a common two-entrance buffer office leading to a lab full of corporate safes and R&D goodies can quickly become a veritable place of despair when you, in your own greed, fail to assess an exit plan in the event you were to get caught out in the open.

Best 15 bux I’ve spent in a while.

3. sub-program 32 says:

So, is there an extra alarm level on easy, or does it still cap at 6 (leaving one pair of enforcers unspawned)?

4. mactenchi says:

Taser is a brand name, c’mon.

• MobileAssaultDuck says:

It’s a brand name that evolved into a common term, like kleenex. The English language is in a state of constant flux and the meaning of words shifts over time and specific brand names sometimes become generic terms.

In some places in the US they use the word “coke” to indicate all sodas. The word google is quickly becoming a generic term that means “search on the internet.” Some people refer to all MP3 players as iPods. Such is the nature of a living language.

• Shadowcat says:

Yeah, but ALL of those people are wrong.

Cyphran says:

They may be wrong, but you understand what they’re saying and that is all that matters.

• MobileAssaultDuck says:

Language is a data transfer method. If the words I say transfer the data I was attempting to impart into your brain, then I was successful.

If I say a word and you understand what I meant, that word is a word, even if no dictionary says it is.

Like how “literally” now both means literally and figuratively at the same time, and you know which one I mean via context.

It’s only wrong if the data transfer fails.

• deejayem says:

Thing is, there’s also quite a lot of metadata in there – the words you use tell the reader/listener quite a lot about who you are, where you come from, and how you see the world. That’s not to say language doesn’t evolve, but it’s always worth paying attention to how you’re saying what you’re saying.

• Shadowcat says:

No, literally does not ever mean figuratively. Because if it could mean that under any circumstance, then the word would be robbed of all meaning. People can (and do) get it wrong with alarming regularity, but that’s all that’s happened — they got it wrong.

5. Shadowcat says:

Do you expect me not to talk so much?