Volo Airsport Wingsuit Sim Wings Into Early Access

Volo Airsport has been released, which prompts familiar thoughts: there’s little in life as awesome as wingsuits. They’re like so many other in-game items for empowering mobility, except they actually work that way.

Volo Airsport was also released before, in free prototype form. Now that it’s being turned into a ‘full’ game, this early access it-costs-money release is still incomplete, but represents a further step towards accomplishing what got Tim Stone so excited back in May.

Tempted to go flying? Be warned: the game is still slight, containing little more than a single (albeit large) landscape, a single wingsuit, and Oculus Rift support. I’ve played it for around fifteen minutes and enjoyed each one of my attempts at wrangling its physics towards thrilling forward movement, and while the above trailer is representative of its current condition, much of what has been discussed is not yet present in the game. For example, as outlined on the game’s Steam Greenlight page, future plans include local and online multiplayer, parachutes, events and challenges, and mod support.

In his chat with Tim Stone back in May, designer Martijn Zandvliet also suggested grander ambitions for the game’s fly-by world:

The world around you is as important as the flight model, and we’re working on conceptual and technical levels to flesh it out. This means bigger and more detailed terrain, but we’re also applying a thin layer of fiction to help elevate it from the generic islands we started with. Don’t expect narrative content or cutscenes, but more inspired ecology and hints of culture. I’ll be working with Michael Manning to create musical soundscapes for the world, to be tightly coupled to physical space and environmental conditions.

Which sounds potentially lovely. For now, for those who take the plunge, plunging and gliding is all you’ll be able to do. Keep that in mind before you consider committing $20/£12.26 towards playing it.

Still: coo, isn’t that a lovely trailer? And aren’t wingsuits awesome? Yes.

1. Rao Dao Zao says:

Sounds like the developers are just winging it, to be honest. I don’t think an idea like this will fly.

2. Synesthesia says:

Holy crap, the death toll on that video you posted. More than 2 per month! And i guess the base jumping community is not THAT large, and that all deaths are not accounted for. I wonder what the mortality rate is, comparing it to, i don’t know, truck drivers.

3. Eukatheude says:

I do not know Michael Manning, but do consider calling Michael ManRing too.

4. silentdan says:

Watching basejumping/wingsuit videos tends to remind me of how profoundly fortunate I am to be capable of getting all the adrenaline I need from projecting my sense of self into a bundle of pixels. Hooray for assisted imagination, and the generous average life expectancy it provides.

• Tei says:

Thanks, thats a good video for friday.

• OscarWilde1854 says:

Why the heck did he show that video in slow motion the first time… it looked SO much less serious in slow-mo. At the end I was thinking “Meh, that didn’t seem so bad, some cliff rubbing and gentle floating”. Then it came back in regular speed… terrifying..

• Wetcoaster says:

How does that jumper still have a face left?!

Hodge says:

In what way is that not feature-complete?

• silentdan says:

“future plans include local and online multiplayer, parachutes, events and challenges, and mod support”

That. Those features aren’t present yet, much less complete.

6. CookPassBabtridge says:

Do you know which Oculus Rift? As a result of a change in components, DK1 games have to be recompiled for the DK2 SDK and are not automatically back compatible. If it’s DK2 compatible this could be rather splendid.

• Henke says:

The old free version worked with DK1, and was a lot of fun I must say!

7. mattlambertson says:

What. Have. You. Done.

Not saying it’s anyone’s fault but my own…

but within 30 minutes of seeing this post…

I put almost $400 on a very high interest credit account that I was supposed to be paying off…

In order to obtain this game and order a Rift DK2.

That I was going to abstain from buying until the commercial release.

Because to me this is EXACTLY the sort of experience VR was made for…

:'(

• Tinus says:

(Hi, developer here!)

We love you for this comment. Thank you, and enjoy. :)

• mattlambertson says:

I love the game! Thrilling and relaxing at the same time. Can’t wait to try it with the RIft. I hope your game becomes popular enough that we end up with decent mod support and the ability to relatively easily import terrain to make new maps. I used to love playing around with landscape/terrain software like Terragen, Bryce etc., but that gets boring after a while when there’s nothing to do but take pictures/renders of your creations. Volo would be the perfect playground for my terrain editing fun :)

8. LTK says:

Of all the Oculus Rift experiences I’ve seen so far, this is the only one that I give a high probability of causing me to crap my pants when I try it.

9. CrowPath says:

Devs have dropped the price to $13 now. Still pricey for a demo, but with my DK2 coming soon it’s very tempting.