Steamy: Dead Rising 2 And Resident Evil 5 Ditching GFWL

Hullo gorgeous.

Splintered bones pierce greyed rotting skin. It shambles on, oblivious. It doesn’t notice organs falling out, skin sloughing. We may never fully understand what keeps it alive, if you can call that living. Poor old Games for Windows – Live. [The old switcheroo, we call that one -ed.] Capcom are planning to scrape the withered glands of GFWL out another three of their games, they announced yesterday. Dead Rising 2, its expandalone Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, and Resident Evil 5 are on the waiting list to have new Steamworks organs transplanted in place of GFWL “early next year”.

The official word from Capcom:

Current owners of these PC titles will be transitioned over to the Steamworks versions early next year. Once we have specific dates ironed out, we’ll have more information about all three titles and their respective launch days so stay tuned.

As they’re still hashing things out, we unfortunately have no word yet on whether DLC will carry over too. When Capcom switched Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition from GFWL to Steamworks back in May, people lost access to DLC they’d bought in the GFWL days. Boo to that indeed.

SSF4 AE’s changeover didn’t go well, either. Casting an eye over negative user reviews on Steam and the forum shows lots of folks complaining about lag since the switch, and even–gosh–wanting GFWL back. Capcom are still working on it.

Capcom will still have a handful of games on GFWL once these transplants are complete. Street Fighter X Tekken, multiplayer shooter Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City, Lost Planet’s Extreme Condition Colonies Edition (the original release was clear), Lost Planet 2, and Dark Void are still stuck with it. I don’t imagine Capcom will remove GFWL from them all, but I could see them perhaps doing SFxT and RE: ORC too.

1. Ansob says:

The DLC for RE5 was console-only, so there’s nothing to carry over. People are asking for it to be released on PC as part of the switch.

2. deadfolk says:

Well I never thought I’d see the day. Nice one Capcom.

Not often you hear that.

3. LionsPhil says:

Dead Rising 2 was the fun one, wasn’t it?

Promising news. Had passed over this because of the GFWL-beast.

• lordfrikk says:

I believe Off the Record was the one that people keep recommending over the original (DR2), so that’s nice. Never played it myself.

• stupid_mcgee says:

DR2 is fun. DR2:OTR is DR2 with better co-op features. For example, in DR2, if you are at an exit and wanting to leave, your partner gets no notification of this. In DR2:OTR, a little icon will appear letting you know they want to transition to another area. Little things like that which help make the co-op experience a bit more intuitive and seamless.

Overall, though, both games are fantastically fun to play in co-op, but OTR just seems to have a few more features and a few extra/different cutscenes. If you really like the storyline, I’d still recommend both. OTR is different enough that it’s worth picking up on sale, but I honestly don’t think it was worth picking up at launch if you already had DR2.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Same. Much in the way that I picked up Batman: Arkham Asylum Goatee Edition (and enjoyed it immensely and will be picking up Arkam City in the future) once GFWL was removed, I’ll definitely be grabbing this too as I do like me a third person open world murder-em-up (is it murder if you’re killing the undead?).

Which reminds me, I should install & play Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet & grab Bioshock 2 + Minerva’s Den sometime.

4. Radiant says:

The issue [from what I read] with sf4 was that it continued to search and connect you to hundreds of players even when you’ve found a match and are playing an opponent. There’s an open beta trying to find and fix the issue running at the moment.

Capcom have a terrible record for conversions and buggy updates for pc. Although I think that’s more to do with their pc dev partner rather than cc themselves.

• Baines says:

Another was that under Steam the matchmaking would flood routers with connections at a much higher rate than the same process under GFWL. It was enough under Steam that it apparently was triggering DDOS protection in routers, particularly routers that were still at their default settings. (I actually changed my router settings because of another game on Steam, where the Find Match option was doing the same thing.)

5. salejemaster says:

So when will I finally be able to play Dark Souls??

• Malibu Stacey says:

If you’re anything like me it’ll be “after I eventually get around to finishing Demon Souls”.

• zentropy says:

Feel you bro. Every time I see an article like this I instantly just ctrl+f “dark souls”.

Really close to caving in last night, but GFWL be damned – not touching my machine ever again. :(

6. BluePencil says:

“Capcom are planning to scrape the withered glands of GFWL out another three…”

Possible missing word: “of”.

7. Jason Moyer says:

Red Faction Guerrilla recently added (non-working) Steam achievements, so presumably the GFWL-removal patch for that will be coming soon as well.

8. Philomelle says:

Operation Raccoon City actually has the smallest chance of conversion. It was outsourced to a small American indie studio that has since went down by trying to chase the mobile market, so unless Capcom wants to dig through an unfamiliar code, they’ll most likely not do it.

It’s a shame. Out of their GFWL library, ORC is the one that needs a conversion the most.

9. megaman001 says:

I’m still upset about losing my Batman Arkham City saves when they did this switch!

10. benkc says:

This news makes me happy. I own both games on Steam but was never able to get the GFWL to work, and had filed them in the “regretted purchases” category as a result.

A friend recently described to me the 17-step process he went through to get GFWL working for DR2, but with this news, I’m happy to just wait for the patch.

Edit: Weird, editing gave me a “Highlight comment” button. I gave in to temptation and pressed it, but fortunately it doesn’t seem to have done anything.

11. Buemba says:

Wish they’d go all the way and remove GFWL from all their games. I know I’m in the minority, but I actually enjoyed Dark Void quite a bit.