Spooky Computing: Memory of a Broken Dimension

Hey--you break it, you get cursed by computer ghosts forever.

We’ve all downloaded something weird from the Internet because the cool kids were doing it. That’s one of the points of Rock, Paper, Shotgun, even. But with Memory of a Broken Dimension, you get an unsettling mystery. It’s presented as an emulator for an old operating system, with strange programs you need to coax into life by tap-tappy-tapping in commands. It’s also a first-person puzzle-platformer, exploring wonky fragmented scenes where it’s not clear whether they’re glitching out because of corrupted data or something sinister. It’s an Internet ghost story, and it looks ace in a new trailer.

In the early build we played years ago, the OS side of puzzling used a little DOS knowledge to reconstruct scan data (but of where? and taken by whom?) then the 3D bits were about perspectives. The landscapes are all fragmented and impossible to pass, see, but can be pieced back together by viewing them from the correct angle. It was spooky and quite splendid. You can still play that old build on Windows and Mac, but bear in mind it’s from a long time ago.

“Obviously the old build looks nothing like the new footage, I’ve always had large labyrinth-like environments in mind for the project, just hadn’t gotten to it back then,” creator xra explained in a thread on the game’s shiny new Steam Greenlight page. He added, “I’m going to be using the console for more secret stuff, you can think of it almost like the ~ consoles in Quake engine games where you can possibly hack around with things. An example fitting with the game’s fiction is renaming files of the RELICS OS… renaming executables can give new uses…”

Memory of a Broken Dimension is due some time in 2015.

1. GallonOfAlan says:

Remember John Carpenter’s “Prince Of Darkness”? The shared dream which is actually a tachyon transmission from the future ? This looks like that, which is nice.

• Gravy100 says:

That VHS style dream always scared me it was really well done, very jarring against the tone of the rest of the film. This game scares me too..

2. CookPassBabtridge says:

Looks cool. With the view-related shenanigans it could be pretty splendid on the rift. I like the freaky late night channel 4 or (as mentioned) dodgy 90’s 16 bit shareware vibe.

Also looks a game that programmers would love. None of THEM would visit RPS though…

*waits*

3. noodlecake says:

It certainly does look unique from the trailer, which is always good news.

4. Zyx says:

‘…emulator for an old operating system’ WHAT was the name of that IF thing which mindfucks you with something similar? I can’t remember at all (and failing miserably at googling for it)…

5. ukpanik says:

Visually stunning. I imagine this is how the cyborgs in Blame! see the world. That is a game I would die for.

6. RARARA says:

Reminds me of the wonderful glitchscape of Hunting Anubis.

• KillahMate says:

Hunting Anubis is quite the thing. IIRC the Anubis developers and the MoaBD devs collaborated at one point, or at least shared shader code.

7. Guy Montag says:

This game is absolutely beautiful. I managed to go nearly a year (358 days) between downloading and playing it, which made the experience of finding this strange thing on my HD even better.