Marina, Aqua Marina: Unknown Worlds’ Subnautica

No-one in their right mind would have put down money on ‘sandbox submarine adventure‘ being the next project from the creators of human vs alien FPS/RTS crossbreed Natural Selection. I did, however, and as a result I became a billionaire. Unfortunately I then put down a billion quid on Destiny turning out to be Frog Fractions 2 in disguise, and now I am poor again. Swings, roundabouts.

Devs Unknown Worlds have been teasing bits and bobs of Subnautica – for that is the submarine game’s name – for a while, but now they have video footage of how badly wrong being full fathom five can be. Here is a fact: a video is like a picture, but it moves and sometimes there is sound too. I hear it’s the future.

They say of the above that “This is a technical prototype, and not representative of the quality of the final game. As the water level rises, there is less and less room to hide, and to breath. Perhaps if a submarine is not repaired fast enough, it will sink – And all the hard work that has gone into customising it, all the equipment stored on board, and even your life could be lost.

Clean, Portal/Mirror’s Edge-ish lines and colours, and an emphasis on water as implacable force of destruction rather than blue stuff wot you go swimming in. It’s too soon to get a real handle on what they’re trying to do here, but in theory I’m definitely onboard for something that wants to do so much with an undersea setting. That’s one area in which BioShock was weirdly unambitious.

Your best bet of getting a sense of quite what it is Unknown Worlds hope to achieve is to keep an eye on their Trello-based progress tracker here. Granted, it’s primarily bits and bobs rather than out-and-out explanation, but it’s fascinating insight into how a game gets made – inspirations, borrowed features, performance reports, even who’s going to which meetings… Also lots of pictures, which I suspect will be the main draw.

1. m1shk4 says:

trello link is broken

2. Tridae says:

“As the water level rises, there is less and less room to hide, and to breath. ”

Shouldn’t ‘breath’ be spelt ‘breathe’? one breath is a thing, to breathe is an action.

I see this everywhere online and I’m starting to doubt my own sanity. . .
    AAAAAAH!!

Deep breaths. . . just breathe. . .

• Eagle0600 says:

I’m pretty sure you’re correct. Of course, that could just mean we’re both insane, so small comfort.

3. WhatKateDoes says:

Oculus Rift written all over it =)

Mungrul says:

Damn you Meer!

5. ahmlet says:

Well, the water physics suck, looks like 2000s. Hydrophobia comes to mind and it was spectacular although the game itself was quite mediocre. The water physics were incredible and its from 2011.

• Axess Denyd says:

The game isn’t really *done* yet, either. This early in development as a proof of concept it’s not bad. I definitely think the idea is promising.

It could be like a first person FTL.

• Dodj33 says:

shame that hydrophobia didnt exist in the age of early access. the devs were so desperate for it to be loved it launched about 7 times in various forms.

6. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

“Here is a fact: a video is like a picture, but it moves and sometimes there is sound too.”

If there is no sound, it is a GIF, and RPS just broke your browser again.

Game looks nice. I got a certain Metroid Prime vibe from the environments, though I feel that’s setting me up for disappointment…

• GrammarCop says:

Here is a fact: You are a moron. “Video” means something you see. Notice the same root as “visual”. “Audio” is something you hear. These are two separate and distinct things.

Here is a fact: You need to go back to elementary school and take some remedial language classes.