Styx: Master Of Shadows Trailer: Maybe This Will Be Good?

Styx: Master of Shadows is a spin-off of Of Orcs & Men, but instead of mixing its action and stealth together, Styx is focused solely on the latter. As a magical goblin chap, you pad, leap and stab around an open-level shaped by spawling castles and vertical drops. It’s clearly designed to evoke yer Arkham Asylums, Dishonoreds and Dark Messiahs, but heck, it works. I watched the trailer below and those games were evoked all up in here. The video explains the game’s clone powers, whereby Styx can create variously powered doppelgängers of himself to distract or trap unwitting guards.

I keep glancing towards Styx and thinking, ‘this’ll be rubbish’. It’s being developed by Cyanide, who make lots of interesting-but-ultimately-a-bit-duff games and Jim found Of Orcs & Men disappointing. But then I watch each new video and am pleasantly surprised by how focused it is, by how systemic its stealth appears, and by the physical way the player moves through the world. There’s something exciting about these kinds of B-games, which have moderate budgets, some ambition, and perhaps carve out an interesting creative space for themselves. “THQ games”, I call them.

Of course, this is the exact impression trailers are designed to give, so don’t go listening to me. If you’re intrigued, you might want to try the dulcet tones of these thirteen-further minutes of in-game action from E3.

Styx is due out in October as a digital download for £25.

Top comments

1. benzoate says:

Well I do have too much time on my hands and consider myself a bit of a renegade so I might give this a try. I do hope it will be the best of times.

Are there robots? 'Cause I need a way to work Mr. Roboto into this.
  2. Geebs says:

I guess they're saying that cyanide's games are sometimes paradise theater and sometimes they're a grand illusion
  3. Kollega says:

I just hope that one of the missions involves assassinating your target by giving them heavy metal poisoning. Although sadly enough, I doubt the game will elicit many cries of "don't let it end".
  1. Bernardo says:

I don’t get the dismissal of Cyanide studios. To an extent, it’s true that they have done creative stuff that could have been better thought through, and I agree with Jim concerning OO&M, but, for example, I loved Game of Thrones precisely because it sacrificed some of the usual stuff (Open World, branching Questsystem and so on) for a tightly narrated story – something many reviews criticised, and I also really liked the fight system.

Also, remember Aarklash: Legacy? The fact that Cyanide put out great stuff if they focus hard on one specific game mechanic gives me hope for this one.

• Philomelle says:

The problem with Cyanide is that for every Game of Thrones and Aarklash: Legacy, they made a Confrontation, Loki and Game of Thrones: Genesis. When they’re good, they make unpolished but very interesting games. But when they’re bad, they are astonishingly bad.

Buying a Cyanide game is like playing dice with a thug in an alleyway. Even if you win, there is a 50% chance he’ll stab you and run off with the loot anyway.

2. Ben Barrett says:

I am also in the “man I hope this is alright” camp. Looks cool, love the concept, hope it gets the polish stealth (and all) games need.

3. benzoate says:

Are there robots? ‘Cause I need a way to work Mr. Roboto into this.

• Geebs says:

I guess they’re saying that cyanide’s games are sometimes paradise theater and sometimes they’re a grand illusion

• Kollega says:

I just hope that one of the missions involves assassinating your target by giving them heavy metal poisoning. Although sadly enough, I doubt the game will elicit many cries of “don’t let it end”.

4. Artist says:

After 16yrs of Thief-games Im tired of always the same Guards-on-rails concepts. Please try something unique, new and different and let the enemies roam more freely! So far its more or less “Thief X: Same Difference”!

• Oakreef says:

TBH the more I think about it the more I think a a stealth game with in any way semi-competent, realistic or unpredictable guards would be near-impossible to play.

5. One Million Monkeys says:

As long as I play as a goblin I’m willing to forgive a lot.

6. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Right now, this is the game I’m looking forward to the most. Based on the trailers the stealth looks like great fun. I hope it plays just as well.

7. derbefrier says:

I think it looks pretty fun. If it reviews well its a definte buy

8. RedViv says:

Curious if they can actually make it so intriguing-while-flawed as Spiders tend to make their games, Of Orcs & Men having been a shared effort with them.

9. RARARA says:

It looks pretty, and I like the verticality of it.

10. thedosbox says:

Just going to say that Saints Row was a THQ game, and that series has turned out well.

Happy to see a game where you’re not playing the stereotypical ‘good human” hero.

11. Niko says:

Where’s the awesome narrator from earlier gameplay video? :<

12. bill says:

You forgot Prince of Persia.

On paper this should be the bestest game ever.

I think Cyanide do ok given their budgets.

13. RPSRSVP says:

I couldn’t help but think of Thief for some reason.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Where do you see the Dark Messiah influence, they didn’t kick a single person into spikes?