Oh! Fable Anniversary Is Out Today With Mod Tools

Hey buddy.

Starting to write this post about Lionhead announcing mod tools for Fable Anniversary, I went to check the release date and price (you know, standard news post details), only to discover that crumbs! It’s out today! That snuck up quietly, didn’t it? Well there you go: Lionhead’s fancied-up remake of ye olde Fable from a decade ago is out later today, and will have mod tools to mess with and replace art assets. That’s the limit of their potential, but it’s presumably enough to e.g. turn the final boss into Peter Molyneux dancing around wearing a dinosur onesie.

These mod tools aren’t able to add brand new content because, Lionhead say, Anniversary “uses the same gameplay engine as the original Fable, which really wasn’t designed with modding in mind.”

Still, at launch you’ll be able to download a version of the Unreal Engine 3 editor with the game’s data, letting you replace art and animations as you please. Lionhead plan to add Steam Workshop support later.

Fable Anniversary is due to launch on Steam at 5 o’clock this afternoon. The remake brings all-new models and textures, a new lighting system, remastered audio, a new UI, and a hardcore ‘Heroic’ difficulty setting. If you’re already sold on “Fable but fancier and with potential Molyneuxsaur,” you can still pre-order with a 20% discount and a bonus DLC pack for £21.59.

1. Optimaximal says:

Hopefully Fable 2 will get this treatment so we can play it.

• Shieldmaiden says:

Yes. I really hope they do. I’m not sure I’m going to buy Xbox 360 #3 (#1 died, #2 sold for food money) just to play Fable 2 again, but a life without ever playing Fable 2 again seems rather sad and empty.

• Rich says:

Actually I’d rather they just ported it as is.
      I’ve played the anniversary edition of Fable on the xbox 360 and it just doesn’t quite work in the Unreal engine. The Fable 2 and 3 engine were a much better fit.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Hopefully MS will release more Fable 3 keys sometime in the future. I doubt it, though.

2. Brosecutor says:

I never played any of the Fable games. Seems like a good time to give it a try.

3. Monkeh says:

Already bought it and was waiting for it’s release today, so no surprises here I’m afraid! ;)

4. Keiggo says:

Is it worth the £21? I’m worried it won’t stand up after Fable 2.

• paddymaxson says:

I think most fable fans I’ve met vastly prefer the first game. If you don’t want to pay £21 you can always pick up Fable: the Lost Chapters for cheaper without all the fancy Remakery…but it’s not a great port, it’s a game designed for controller use with no controller support.

• Shieldmaiden says:

That’s interesting, I always thought the consensus was that the second was the pinnacle of the series. That said, just being able to play as a girl guaranteed that I’d be more favourably inclined to Fable 2 over the first.

• Solidstate89 says:

I absolutely despised the way they did magic combat in Fable 2 – having to hold the buttons down to charge up a specific “level” of your shot, instead of just switching between predefined quick-actions like in the original fable.

I hated the game, and I never even bothered with Fable III. I’m really happy they’re re-releasing the original Fable with full-controller support and compatability with modern OSes.

• djbriandamage says:

Alas, I own the original game on disk and Steam but after an hour of troubleshooting I couldn’t get either to work on Windows 8.

Now I’ve got the bug. Should I buy this whimsical, charming game yet again? I’m skeptical after Fable 3 ran so poorly on my machine.

serioussgtstu says:

Have they fixed the tiny level sizes in this version? I don’t think I’d be willing to sit thought all of those loading screens again..

• Rich says:

Not really. The locations are almost identical in their layout, but have more detail.

serioussgtstu says:

That’s a pity, I doubt I’ll be picking this up. Thanks all the same!

6. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Is anything different besides the spruced-up graphics? I didn’t really care for Fable all those years ago – I was younger and believed everything Peter Molyneux said, so perhaps my expectations, being firmly in place, would enjoy it now. I also already have The Lost Chapters or whatever it’s called.

• Rath says:

It’s a cosmetic change only. The 360 version carried over bugs that were present in The Lost Chapters, and introduced a few new ones as well.

Not to mention the way the new UI completely breaks the tattoo system, which to date has not been patched as far as I know.

See thread here for details:

link to rockpapershotgun.com

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Thanks for this. I’ll just stick with The Lost Chapters.

• Rich says:

The inventory UI is also bloody awful in the xbox 360 version. Don’t know what it’ll be like on PC though.

• djbriandamage says:

Speaking for the original PC version, there were many tweaks to the UI to optimize things for keyboard and mouse. You could map several commands to number keys, for example.

7. ZombieJ says:

Pants to this! IMO Fable 1 was the tipping point where the world could no longer deny it – Molyneux is full of carp. No humanity left. It’s lying fish all the way through. It’s not like the world didn’t already have a proper “open world rpg” at that point (Morrowind is probably most recent previous to F1), so all his bluffing just ended up being offensive.

A res update is just a money grab, spare yourselves!

8. Ejia says:

We meet again, Chicken Chaser.

9. Caiman says:

When the trailer for your own game declares your game “one of the best role-playing games of all time” you know it’s almost certainly not. Perhaps that was a Molyneux quote?

10. Fiatil says:

For once the internet is not hyperbole — this version is worse in most ways when compared to the original Lost Chapters port on PC. It actually looks worse! The textures are much nicer in the new version, but the face models are horrendous. They show no emotion and worse still, some of the heads sort of shake about as they speak and make the characters look pretty disturbed. And given the graphical quality, it runs very poorly. I get a nice smooth framerate, but I get little hitches where it loads and distorts the audio every 15 seconds or so, lasting a second or two each time.

Mouse support is very very bad. The menus are completely keyboard driven, with default action buttons being “A”, “B”, and for the more button heavy menus, “delete” and “end”. The old, surprisingly-nice-looking-in-1080p and mouse driven, character menu system is gone. Its replacement requires tabbing through slow moving pages one keyboard button at a time to get to your destination menu.

It’s not a case of nostalgia goggles. I was motivated to load the original, and it’s a much better port. Great mouse support, and the characters look much better than in the new version. It’s “new” enough that it has native widescreen support. Unless you really want the new difficulty mode and the DLC costumes, I would caution to stay away. I’m now in the mood for another run through of Fable, and as weird as it feels, I’m doing it with the original version.