Magicka 2: New Footage, Also A Singalong Why Not

I appreciate anything that carves out a space for itself to be daft, and Magicka has long been entertaining with its silly wizards, clumsy co-op violence and self-deprecating trailers. This latest video for Magicka 2 is by far the oddest yet. Come for the new footage of wizards slaying magical beasts with beam-weapons, stay for the retro karaoke-video-style.

The video is technically designed to advertise a Magicka singalong competiion, in which people are encouraged to record themselves singing a version of the song in this trailer in order to win… something. I don’t much care about that, but I do like the jokes about the netcode. (I have also seen Paradox CEO Fredrik Wester both dress up as Vlad and sing karaoke, but I imagine he’s forbidden from entering the competition himself.)

As Adam noted after the (mostly live action) announcement trailer from E3, this game’s mentioned “artifact” system is perhaps the one major new addition to the series. It apparently offers “game-altering” switches and options, so my best guess is that it’s something akin to Unreal Tournament’s old mutators. Which would be a very good thing, if I didn’t just speculate in completely the wrong direction.

Magicka is due out early next year. In the meantime, you should be playing the open beta of Magicka: Wizard Wars because everyone here loves it. Including Adam, Jim, and Adam again.

1. USER47 says:

Banana

2. Anthile says:

…why is one of the wizards in a wheelchair?

3. rexx.sabotage says:

that is some effective marketing they are churning out. Right up there with TF2. CAn I just buy more of these great videos?

4. Low Life says:

I like that Vlad guy. I can’t stand vampires, so I’m glad there’s at least one person around who definitely isn’t one.

5. ZombieJ says:

Magicka 2,
    Magicka 2,
    the first one was lame,
    it smelt of poo.

6. aliksy says:

Magicka’s one of my favorite games. So refreshing to play something without level gates, cool downs or other bullshit getting in the way of fun. Just give me interesting toys to play with. I don’t need a slot machine or skinner box to be engaged.

• gnodab says:

So does this mean they are finally finished putting out new dlc? Then this would be a good time to start getting into the game without ocd worries about “missing content”.

• Jalan says:

Undoubtedly the team working on Magicka 2 have plenty of DLC on the conveyor belt ready to roll out once the game hits.

While the team from the first Magicka are likely prepping all the Gauntlet reboot DLC one could shake a stick at.

• Doganpc says:

Jalan’s comment made me realize that Gauntlet reboot is indeed a thing… so Magicka 2 or Gauntlet Redux
          Gauntlet Redux
          Gauntlet Redux
          Kill old school dungeons with
          magic, bow, sword or that other dude too

• Orageon says:

I have magicka without any DLC. You don’t need any DLC so have loads of fun, these are just addons, not missing content added afterwards. It is great fun, especially if you can do it coop with some friends.

• Jalan says:

Except that there is story-based DLC. Granted, saying it matters to the larger story overall is a bit silly since the main story in Magicka is so un-serious it’s hard to get truly invested in it beyond all the humor and references to pop culture packed into it (not unlike watching episodes of Family Guy) but for the diehard few they’ll no doubt want to get those.

7. matnym says:

You didn’t link to their brilliant singalong website. It’s just as… colorful, as the video.

link to magicka2.com

8. Tei says:

I just played magicka with my 6 years old cousin, he loved it. So the game have passed the test of “hiperactive children want fun now!”