WoW’s 10th Anniversary Brings Nostalgia, Molten Corgis

This little guy's going to cost me about £50 and it'll probably be my best purchase ever.

Blizzard usually throw a birthday party for World of Warcraft, but are really indulging their love of pomp and nostalgia as the MMORPG hits double digits. WoW’s 10th anniversary celebrations will bring a level-100 version of the classic Molten Core raid and a new PvP battleground based on old favourite murderzones Tarren Mill and Southshore. Having a bash at those will get players special mounts and gear, but even simply logging in during the festivities (between November 21st and January 5th) will get you that adorable molten corgi pet up there.

Both of the big additions are steeped in nostalgia. The Tarren Mill and Southshore action was before my time but is legendary in its relentlessness. They were two opposing towns in an easy-to-access zone at a point in the levelling curve where players were confident, flush with abilities, and keen to cause trouble. Hundreds of players fighting at all hours there was known to cause server slowdown and crashes, until the introduction of battlegrounds moved PvP mostly out of the open world.

I remember Molten Core fondly. It was my first large-group MMO experience, as it was for many. By the time I reached MC in 2006 it was mostly old hat, but still challenging for new 60s. It’s outdated in design and function these days, so seeing it brought to some fraction of its former glory will be ace.

This will all function as a second wave of content after the release of the next expansion, Warlords of Draenor, on November 13th. The v6.0 patch, which brings most of the expansion’s systemic changes and some introductory content, hit test realms yesterday and should go live in October.

Top comments

1. Themadcow says:

I lost £30k in savings playing WoW, almost split from my wife and damaged my career quite substantially in the process. However, I did get a massive buzz from downing pre-nerf Brutallus with 1 raid member left alive so it pretty much balances out.

As for Tarren Mill being 'easily accessible' as the article states... it depends whether you class a ride to the Org Zep tower, wait for Zep, arriving at Undercity, going to the fightmaster, flying for 10 mins to Tarren Mill (possibly needing two flightpaths originally?) and then being smashed within seconds by overwhelmingly outnumbering Alliance forces in a cauldron of low FPS... as being 'easily accessible' I guess. To be fair to Ben, he does state it was before his time ;)
  1. melnificent says:

The only thing that could tempt me back would be “Barrens Chat”… When you’d stand at the edge of the zone for 20 minutes chatting as you didn’t want to just walk off.

• Ben Barrett says:

FUN FACT the Alliance version of Barrens Chat was Stranglethorn Vale. That place was hell.

Amazing, shitty hell.

• Meneldil says:

Your life is pretty sad if you didn’t watch a naked male night elf dance in front of Goldshire’s inn.

Or if you didn’t yell insults at some random douchebag in [1]General, while leveling up in the Barrens.

Or if you didn’t get ganked/gank someone in Strangelthorn. Or at the entrance of Molten Core/Kharazan.

• int says:

Guys help plz whers Mankriks wife?

2. Ishy says:

Barrens chat is alive and well, last I checked. Cross-realm zone merging means low level zones are quite populated. Elwynn (Goldshire Inn) is as special as ever, as well.

Er, meant as reply to first comment.

3. blastaz says:

Oh fuck it I’ll resub for a couple of months, I mean what’s the worst that can happen?

• Themadcow says:

As for Tarren Mill being ‘easily accessible’ as the article states… it depends whether you class a ride to the Org Zep tower, wait for Zep, arriving at Undercity, going to the fightmaster, flying for 10 mins to Tarren Mill (possibly needing two flightpaths originally?) and then being smashed within seconds by overwhelmingly outnumbering Alliance forces in a cauldron of low FPS… as being ‘easily accessible’ I guess. To be fair to Ben, he does state it was before his time ;)

• Ben Barrett says:

It’s easily accessible compared to about half the zones in the game in vanilla. Way easier to get to for Horde than Alliance too…

• Moraven says:

It was an adventure to run to Shadowfang Keep, Southshore and Scarlet Monastery for Alliance. Horde had it easy.

• Jenks says:

I was a troll and we did more than hold our own. The flight from UC to TM was probably 2-3 minutes. The furthest race from the zep tower was Tauren, who by the time you would be going to TM, would be in the barrens and have gotten the free flight path to Orgrimmar at the crossroads. It was easy to get to for anyone in the horde.

• Themadcow says:

Yeah, I was Tauren but back in Vanilla pretty much everyone hung about in Org and it definitely took more than 15 minutes end-to-end to get to Tarren Mill. Still, chatting to people on the Zep platform was fun.

• lomaxgnome says:

It was more that the graveyards were easily accessible, making rapid run backs and continual zerging viable.

4. frymaster says:

Nothing has made me as close to subscribing to WoW as that corgi has

Skabooga says:

I was thinking the same thing. I usually don’t care for specific dog breeds either, but corgis transcend it all!

5. applecup says:

Dammit Blizzard I want to have that corgi in my life, even if it means having to redownload WoW. Even if it means only having it in WoW.

6. stoopiduk says:

A virtual dog is for life, not just for the 10th anniversary of a recurring addiction.

7. derbefrier says:

The old southshore battles were epic. Like freaking braveheart man seeing a line of horde and a line of alliance just starring at each other then…fiiiiiigghhhhtt!.
    World pvp was so awesome before they killed it. Stranglethorn vale was a good spot but it. Was mostly smaller skirmishes instead of the large scale battles that would haopen at SS.

And I’ll never forget molten core or the first time we downed onyxia after a week of wiping. I loved vanillia wow it was my first mmo and it was awesome. There’s something special about getting 40 people from all over the world(my guild had americans, brazillians even some english folk) working together in unison to kill a big fucking dragon. Good times but going back? Nahhh

• Moraven says:

Alterac Valley was great. Realm cross faction pvp only. You got to know your opponents well and some battles could take a full day to complete.