Freeware Garden: Battle Cube

Battle Cube is neither the latest game by Knytt creator Nifflas, nor his latest freeware offering — that would be lovely platformer Saira. It is a little non-platforming experiment instead and a game he released roughly a year ago and has himself categorized as a miscellaneous creation.

Also, it’s a brilliant little thing I totally randomly bumped into and instantly loved.

Metaphorically embodying a humble, white cursor (or WASD) keys-driven square that can dash when you press space, Battle Cube is a frantic, twitch avoid-’em-up, in which you have to evade the varied, colourful projectiles a wonderful-yet-murderous square is launching at you. It’s a simple game at heart, I know, but it’s well-designed – a perfectly fair yet challenging offering you’ll simply have to give it a go. Chances are you won’t stop playing until you beat it.

Granted, Battle Cube will only last you a few minutes, but things so beautiful and so perfectly synchronized to their music should never drag on. Unless they evolve into a full game, that is.

1. baby snot says:

Saira is freeware? I can finally go back and finish this now after losing my key (eh?).

I got stuck on some narly ass, rip the hair off your testicles type puzzle in that game but I do miss it and always wanted to know how it ends.

• Kaeoschassis says:

The shock twist – getting stuck on that puzzle IS the ending.

2. thelastpointer says:

Does anyone know a way to read this column as a weekly digest? As much as I like it, I never seem to stumble upon these when I actually have time to try them.

Lexx87 says:

A few weeks ago these were all compiled into a weekly roundup – link to rockpapershotgun.com

This seemed to have died after that with no more roundups, but yes I like that format too as I never get the time in the week!

• thelastpointer says:

So if anyone’s interested, I created an IFTTT recipe for this. I hope it works well, it’s supposed to send you an email at Sunday 2 PM.
      Which is, of course, the best time to play free games.
      link to ifttt.com

• FrumiousBandersnatch says:

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but i think browsing the tag page is practical. I also recommend looking through early “Live Free Play Hard” posts with this method.

3. SuddenSight says:

Haha! Joke’s on you this time: I already played this game. It is fun. I played it again after you suggested it. So I guess the joke is ultimately on me. Hmm….