Unreal Estate: Kraven Manor

Kraven Manor is a first-person horror adventure, in which the titular building is the central puzzle. I first played it when the prototype was released for free last summer and, peering back at my words, I see that the main thing I complained about was the length. The brevity affected the pacing, not leaving quite enough space for suspense to build to exquisitely dreadful levels. A loud ‘hurrah’ then for the upcoming commercial release, which will be with us on September 26th. The central conceit lies in a scale model of the manor. As the player explores, new parts are located and can be added, causing rooms to appear in the ‘real’ manor. Trailer below.

Despite the spooky sculptures dotted about the place that are clearly going to move as soon as you turn your back on them, Kraven Manor is one of those too-rare horror games that aims to be more than a Kriss Kross clone. I plan to take a closer look at the expanded version before release.

1. Big Murray says:

Are YouTubers really on the same level as actual journalists now, that their quotes are given the same amount of importance in a trailer?

• iyokus says:

The approval of a big Youtube star undoubtedly has more commercial value than most journalists.

• tumbleworld says:

It’s not as if journalists are sanctified seekers or anything. An audience is an audience.

• Baines says:

Who are the “actual journalists” of video game reporting?

Many when questioned use the popular defensive claim that they aren’t journalists or aren’t doing reviews. Many sites have posted at least one review that was suspect at best, whether it be the whiff of payoola or just the whiff of “didn’t actually play”.

Why not hold YouTubers to the same regard as IGN or Gamespot or RPS? And, as iyokus says, YouTubers have a larger audience. Just like how years ago a positive mention from Penny Arcade was probably worth a lot more than a positive line from IGN, the words of someone like PewDiePie would carry more weight now.

• KingFunk says:

There’s an advert on Channel 5 at the moment for Wolf Creek 2 (straight to DVD) that has a quote from Twitch. I find myself wondering, given what I know about Twitch “Does that mean it could have just been some guy…?”

2. tumbleworld says:

Mac Daddy’s Gonna Get’ya.

3. meepmeep says:

Looks a bit Zork Nemesis.

A good thing, by the way.

4. Shooop says:

Tried it and it’s just your average Amnesia rip-off. The room sculptures you place don’t make for much of a puzzle at all, and the lack of any story makes wandering about the mansion pointless.

If that’s a new trailer, then christ, they’ve gone and made it even crappier by giving you Flashlight Vision.

• dethtoll says:

Let me guess, there’s monsters you need to escape from but you can’t actually defend yourself in any way.

• Wedge says:

I tried to play the student version and after going through one room and seeing a bloody “GET OUT” message, the game tried to send me into another room with the evil mannequin sitting right there waiting for me. I instead went to the front door and attempted to leave as I had been politely asked, but nooooooooo apparently doing what makes sense wasn’t an option.

5. Da5e says:

The Humble Flash Sale Thing has Crimzon Clover and Danmaku Unlimited II for seven dollars, along with some other things. Crimzon Clover is the best non-Cave shmup made for about fifteen years, and Danmaku Unlimited has a hilarious djent soundtrack. Buy them, everyone!