Metal Slug X, King Of Fighters 98 UM Coming To Steam

It was late last year that King of Fighters XIII appeared on Steam, and the 2D beat-’em-up must have done well for SNK Playmore, because they’re bringing more games to Steam in the months ahead. First, classic 2D run-and-gun Metal Slug X is coming October 2nd, then King of Fighters ’98 Ultimate Match Final Edition is coming November, then King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match is coming in December. That’s three lovely-looking games in underpopulated genres.

There’s few details currently available for the PC releases. Metal Slug X was released on mobile recently though, so hopefully what we’re getting is more than just a straight port of that version. It’ll cost £5.60/$8 when it’s released and there’s a trailer to watch on the game’s Steam store page.

King of Fighters aren’t viewable on the service yet, but King of Fighters XIII’s Steam edition seemed to go over well with the community. Unlimited Match and Ultimate Match are earlier games in the series, the sixth and tenth respectively (sort of), but they’re both beautiful sprite art masterpieces. Seriously. I don’t know much about fighting games, but I do own a print of this:

Who wouldn’t want to punch things in front of that?

1. Optimaximal says:

Don’t hold your breath, that’s all Metal Slug 3 was. DotEmu strike again!

• sabrage says:

As far as I can tell, 2002 never made it to screentouchers and the version of ’98 that did was based on the Dreamcast port, not Ultimate Match.

• XhomeB says:

Err… There was something wrong with Metal Slug 3 PC? I bought it a month ago or so and enjoyed it a great deal, can’t think of anything that bothered me as far as port quality.

2. Da5e says:

But does it feature mummies, or are they actually zombies? That’s the important question.

• BooleanBob says:

I think the important question is actually ‘are there any more pictures of that bee?’.

3. bill says:

These days, I have an instinctive dislike of anything featuring sailor type school uniforms.. so I wouldn’t want to do anything infront of that.

4. Deadly Habit says:

But will they feature netplay?

5. Spacewalk says:

I’m in agreement that both KOF 98 and 2002 are “beautiful sprite art masterpieces” but I can’t say the same of Unlimited and Ultimate Match. Scaled sprites on top of crisp 3D backgrounds lessens the impact.

6. int says:

So that stage with the cars, do they drive forward and can you punch someone into a moving car?

7. zentropy says:

Sincerely hope they don’t botch the netcode this time. 98/2002um are definitely my favorites in the series. Really enjoying more fighters on PC, but it’s a shame only a few are really playable online, without diving into the shady world of emulation that is…

At least we have Skullgirls. :)