Skywind’s Slough Trailer Shows Bitter Coast, Not Slough

Skywind‘s latest trailer is titled ‘Slough’, but it does not, as every British reader just hoped, mark the inclusion of Berkshire’s much maligned city in the game. Instead it’s the first look at the remake of Morrowind‘s Bitter Coast inside the Skyrim engine, and it’s as pretty as every other chunk we’ve seen of the ambitious mod project so far.

(Slough is also a word for soft, muddy ground, you see. The more you know.)

Attempts to re-make one game from a series in a later game from that series almost never work out, but Skywind’s team have been putting out videos like the one above regularly for the past year. They’ve also shown off little bits of questing (in a video since made private), and thirteen minutes of first-person exploration and combat. It of course remains to be seen whether they can port over every mechanic from Bethesda’s most beloved Elder Scrolls game, but it’s at least clear that the team know what they’re doing.

When can you play it? There’s an alpha release available now, but only to those pitching in on the development side of the project. The rest of us will have to wait until it’s ready for public consumption, and there’s no estimate on that for now.

1. Geebs says:

Come friendly bombs, to bitter coast/
    and make those damn cliff racers toast

2. JB says:

*Looks at screenshots*
    *Looks out of front room window*

Seems about right tbh

3. KingFunk says:

To be fair, Morroblivion is doing pretty well and I had a blast with it a while back. It’s as if someone had managed to make retro-rose-tinted spectacles a reality…

• Orillion says:

I first played Morrowind when I was 14 or so and I can safely say this looks considerably better than I ever remembered it as being, even in its deepest rose hue.

• audon says:

But this isnt Morroblivion, duh. Its Skywind

4. Great Cthulhu says:

To be honest, I’d prefer that they don’t convert all of Morrowind’s systems. Particularly the leveling system. That was full of problems.

I’ll be somewhat disappointed if they don’t get mark/recall and flight working though.

• KingFunk says:

Mark/Recall and flying were all present and correct in Morroblivion. Sounding like a stuck record here, but most often I hear these projects written off as pie-in-the-sky but Morroblivion is close enough to say that it is achievable. Plus those guys really do deserve recognition for what it an astounding achievement involving an enormous amount of their spare time…

• Great Cthulhu says:

Not at all; it’s good of you to point this out. I was under the (apparently completely mistaken) impression that Morroblivion was not much farther along than Skywind.

I’ll give it a try one of these days!

• Crafter says:

Leveling up the difficulty has always been a big issue of Bethesda games, probably at least partially intentionally.
      It would be great if Skywind resulted in her TES game where an high level character is not invincible.

• Great Cthulhu says:

I actually meant the system by which the player character is leveled. The pre-Skyrim system was full of problems. For instance if you want to be a kick-ass swordsman, you’d better not pick a race and class that are known to be good at swordfighting. This is because leveling is tied to your progress in your skills. So if those skills start off high, then you wont be able to progress as much as you would be if they’d started off low, and that means getting fewer levels.

As for the leveling of enemies: that didn’t really start until Oblivion. In Morrowind it was mostly that some areas were just a lot more dangerous than others. Made for a much more immersive world, IMO.

• Eschatos says:

That didn’t bother me anywhere near as much as how you had to very carefully level up skills to get the full 5x attribute multipliers on levelup. If you want the maximum attribute bonuses you have to pre-pick the skills to level up for each level and try to only use those skills. It’s irritating as hell. What’s worse, it has a super easy fix in that you can either have multipliers keep on adding past levelup(instead of resetting to 1x), or have attribute bonuses get automatically added as skills increase.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

Not to mention the fact that in Oblivion, if you didn’t get 4-5x bonuses at least most of the time, in the late game you can actually end up with a really terrible character that’s going to be awful and no fun to play unless you’re on easy.

Again, it’s backwards. Want to be a sneaky guy? Better not pick the thief class, because just playing the game normally means you’re going to wind up leveling really fast, and only getting 1-2x attribute points because you can’t stop leveling. The best builds actually have the skills you use least as your major skills, so that you can control exactly when you want to level up, instead of it just happening by accident.

• green frog says:

Or, you know, you could just go play the game the way it was intended instead of poring over this min-maxing business where you’re sitting there with a calculator, trying to figure out how to game the system to get the most powerful character mathematically possible.

But that’s just me. I am aware of the fact that some people’s enjoyment of an RPG does in fact derive from approaching it this way, though I will never be one of them. ;)

• Great Cthulhu says:

Eschatos> You’re right; that’s the other big problem with the system, and it is indeed utterly unfun.

Green frog> I’m in the same camp as you, and found Morrowind itself a joy to play like that. Unfortunately, the expansions (Tribunal in particular) are balanced for people who do min-max their characters. So my original character who was already the promised saviour of the Dunmer, archmaster of great house Redoran, master of every guild, etc. etc. got slain by sewer-dwelling goblins…

No fun, unless you go along and min-max as well. And if I do have to min-max, then I prefer to do it in a system in which it is as least a little fun to do so.

(Oblivion is even worse, since there even the base game assumes you’re always heavily optimised for combat. I once got a few levels from non-combat skills and subsequently found that every time I went outside the cities I got mobbed by auto-leveled bears that I had no way of defeating.)

5. JFS says:

I’d play it.

6. soulblur says:

I just want a new Elders Scrolls game. Not an online one – a proper one. I’d buy a new one now.

7. RecklessPrudence says:

Slough is also-also a word for one of the side-effects of your body attempting to heal a horrible burn. Trust me, it’s not pretty.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Slough, in that instance, means to shed or cast off. A snake sloughs it skin, for example. A policeman sloughs off his raincoat when he returns late at night from patrol.

8. joa says:

What are the legal implications of a project like this, as far as intellectual property goes?

• SpacemanSpliff says:

I’ve read that Bethesda is ok with it and for it to unlock on Steam you need to have Skyrim and Morrowind in your inventory.

• Rosveen says:

Okayish would be more accurate. Bethesda doesn’t allow porting assets from one game to another, even if both games were made by them. Doesn’t even matter that Skywind requires you to have both games. However, they are okay with recreating assets, so during the development of Morroblivion the team started gradually replacing original assets with community-made ones. Bethesda has been fairly lenient with this project, all things considered.

9. manny says:

Why doesn’t Bethseda helpout and rerelease the game? Which is what’s gonna happen with the Black Mesa remake of Half Life.

10. yzerman19 says:

To set the record straight, a SLOUGH is a term used for the areas where rivers flow into the Pacific Ocean in Oregon…and the lowest part of the river also feels the same tidal effect as the ocean. For instance, there is a slough called ISTHMUS SLOUGH in the town of Coos Bay, Oregon. Basically, the water is very briny in the slough…having a mixture of saltwater and freshwater.

• Llewyn says:

No, that’s an example of one of the derived meanings. Slough in English (originally “sloh”), with the meaning linked in the article, predates not only the settlement of Oregon by English-speakers, but the discovery of North America by Europeans.

• yzerman19 says:

Just wondered…would I call a tiny stream that runs out of a spring, a brook? On the property in Coos Bay, there are 2 little tiny brooks coming from springs…which travel a mile downhill to a little lake known as Smith Resevoir. These brooks are so small and quiet…but they run 24/7/365. As they have for centuries/millenia. In fact, I have cut a trail through the rainforest that parallels one. Eventually, the trail will be a mile and a half long…reaching a street that leads into town. Believe me though…it takes a super long time to hack through rainforest!

11. Armin Vivec says: