Assassin’s Creed Unity Just Wants You To Co-operate

With a title like its own, it would be dreadfully inappropriate were Assassin’s Creed Unity not to have co-op. So fortunately, it does. And Ubisoft wants to prove this to you, via the motion picture excitement of a trailer. Featuring much man walking slowly away from camera.

They may be different. With different skills. But when the world is darkest. They both put a light on, or go to bed.

Unity is out of the 11/14th November, and Ubisoft are super-extra-double promising (no fingers crossed) that this time, the PC version won’t be delayed. (Well, beyond the idiotic two day delay for the European release after the US one.) Last year’s Black Flag had the barmy release mess of appearing on PS3 and Xbox 360 in October, then PC and PS4/XB1 in November (with a bonus extra delay for the PC version in North America). This year they’re just simply going to get it right! They say so! Of course, in years past surprise PC delays have been revealed with as little as a week’s warning, so there’s still plenty of time. Don’t let us down, this time Ubi.

1. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

The Unity game engine is looking fancy these days.

• BobbyDylan says:

I think that; about the 12th time I read that joke since the e3 reveal.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I’m just expressing my rage and bitterness that it’s polluting my Google searches for useful Unity stuff. They need to be punished. I’m just doing my part.

• Anthile says:

No need to sow discord.

• Gap Gen says:

Right, I keep looking up how to fix the Ubuntu GUI and keep coming up with references to game development software.

2. Orija says:

The story sucks with its downright laughable plot and unlikeable characters, then there are the unavoidable Desmond sequences, the cluttered UI, simplistic missions with objective markers right in your face, all gameplay elements from movement to combat require the press of a button (sometimes two), we always end up getting shitty ports despite the inevitable delays, not to mention the shitty DRM, plus there’s the nickle and diming. It’s like the game does nothing right.

I’ve played AssCreed 1, II, Brotherhood, Black Flag

• Sian says:

“How could people even tolerate this mediocre series so long for it to get an eighth game?
      […]

I’ve played AssCreed 1, II, Brotherhood, Black Flag”

I have to wonder: Why don’t you answer the question for yourself? You played most of the major releases, after all, including the latest one.

• Orija says:

Reviews that talk about how the new one fixes everything wrong with the previous one. Truth be told, I’ve only ever bought Black Flag, the rest were played for a few hours each at a friend’s house.

• Chuckleluck says:

I play it for the history. The cities are always interesting. I’m looking forward to this one particularly because of the near-anarchy that permeated throughout the French Revolution.

Henke says:

I agree with most of those things. Almost makes me feel bad for buying and playing 4 of these damn things. :|

• Darth Grabass says:

“…then there are the unavoidable Desmond sequences…”

Desmond isn’t part of the story anymore. His dead body made a brief appearance in Black Flag, and that’s reportedly the last we’ll ever see of him.

“…the cluttered UI…”

Yes, it is definitely intrusive, redundant and useless. Turn it off. You can turn it all off. For me, it made Black Flag change from an entertaining game with an insanely annoying HUD into a great, immersive experience.

3. Loyal_Viggo says:

Uplay = I won’t play.

• GameCat says:

iPlay, Uplay, we all play for… you know the rest.

Ninja Dodo says:

It really would be nice if Ubisoft would just cut their losses and give up Uplay. I get it, you are trying to be Steam, but what you’ve got is Games For Windows Live. Please stop.

4. Shadow says:

And here I thought “assassins” couldn’t look any less discrete at this point.

The trailer itself could’ve been a lot better if it weren’t for the completely period-irrelevant music. And, well, the emphasis on nothing more than jumping around and random, mindless killing. I know the AC games have never been particularly deep, but this video exudes an image of particular shallowness. Woo, cooperative shallowness.

Frankly, the PC scene wouldn’t really be diminished without a game like this. Delay it all you want.

• Chuckleluck says:

The music was pretty terrible.

• Shadrach says:

Yeah, what wrong with like, a nice gavotte, or a quick bourrée, to set the mood!

• P.Funk says:

I think any thoughts of discrete killing went out the door when they decided to don those tacky colours. What manner of garb is this? Is that a lime green assassin? I thought this was about the French Revolution, not race day at the Nurburgring.

Ninja Dodo says:

I thought the music was nice. If you’re concerned about period-relevance you clearly have never seen an Assassin’s Creed trailer.

5. El Spidro says:

Isn’t there such a thing as a singleplayer experience anymore? Can’t I just enjoy my historical power fantasy in peace?

• Distec says:

Uhh… Yes to both your questions?

What is it with multiplayer luddism.

• Gothnak says:

The fact games are multiplayer is fine, it’s the other Players that you invariably meet within them that are the problem.

• Distec says:

But the multiplayer here isn’t mandatory. The coop is optional.

There is still a purely single-player AC experience to be had here, is all I’m sayin’.

• derbefrier says:

This is a multiplayer only game? Strange that hasn’t been mentioned…

6. Gog Magog says:

So when are we gonna get a Dishonored 2: Dishonor Harder?

7. Maou says:

No thanks!
    I prefer playing games by myself (unless it´s a Battlefield kinda game.).

8. Slouch says:

Are the assassins royalists…? Girondists?

9. JoeX111 says:

What happened to all the outrage about the lack of a female character in co-op?

• JoeX111 says:

I ask because I’ve noticed RPS doing this a lot over the years: Taking a firm moral stance on a games-related issue, then resuming casual coverage when the next video / press release / PR marketing blitz occurs. It makes me a little sad. Stick to your guns, guys (and gals)! When you don’t, it reminds me of when everyone got enraged about the lack of dedicated servers in Modern Warfare 2, then proceeded to buy and play the game anyway.

• Deano2099 says:

They are sticking to their guns, but it’s not a binary thing. Would it be good if, among the four co-op characters, one of them was a woman? Yes. Indeed, it’s a bit silly and short-sighted that there isn’t.

But we’re not calling for a boycott, RPS isn’t saying “don’t buy the game” they’re saying “bit of a shame that, can you do better next time?”. It’s not about punishing developers until they do what you want, it’s about flagging up potentially problematic stuff and suggesting people think about it.

It’s the same with the Tropes Vs Women videos – they never say “we need to stop buying these sorts of games” they just say “it’s all a bit a sexist isn’t it? couldn’t we do better?” – yet people want to read them as an attempt to take away the things they like from games.

• JoeX111 says:

I get that they’re not calling for a boycott. But they’re bringing these issues up in an attempt to bring about change, right? I mean otherwise what’s the point? To that end, I think they undermine their point when they go back to regurgitating the marketing hype without acknowledging their arguments from two months ago. Especially when it was so widely echoed in the blogosphere.

• P-Dizzle says:

The blogosphere embarrassed themselves over the whole thing.

• vagabond says:

Given that Anita’s videos contain statements that the current portrayal of women in video games “profoundly impacts how real life women are perceived and treated” and “help to normalize extremely toxic, patronizing and paternalistic attitudes about women.”, it doesn’t matter that she doesn’t say outright “these games should be banned”, the clear implication is that she believes the content to be extremely damaging to women and therefore shouldn’t exist. To assert anything else is being disingenuous.

• RARARA says:

I’m glad they dropped it. That was a really silly thing to get worked up about.

10. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

“We may be different, with different skills, but we still have the same character model.”

Sorry, I’m taking a principled stance not to play this unless they stop downplaying the fact that everyone plays as the same dude and proudly rename co-op mode to Dukematch.